SRS I don't know what to do career wise....

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Kamisama, May 30, 2006.

1. Kamisama

Kamisama Guest

I'm 19 and haven't done any college yet. I graduated highschool in summer of 2004, and I didn't perform too well in high school because of major anxiety and depression. I lived with my parents as a recluse for about a year and a half having my parents yell at me everyday about how much of a loser I am [when they didn't understand my problems at all] I eventually helped myself, got some medications and therapy, got a job and moved out. I've been delivering pizza, living on my own, saving up money. Obviously this job is going nowhere fast, but I don't know what to do. I thought about going to college for mechanical engineering, but I don't know if I would enjoy it :dunno: My parents are still pissed about my grades from senior year of high school, but they said that if I could do a semester of school and get good grades, they would pay the rest of my way through school.

I have thought about the military, but I would only like to go in as an Officer or Special Forces. Officer would need a bachelors degree, Special Forces would require me to get insanely physically fit again. But I'm still not sure if I am cut out for it.

My dream job would be to professionally race cars :noes: [touring/formula racing type stuff] But obviously something like that is unlikely, just like someone aiming to be a professional sports player. I just fucking hate my job right now, and I can't even imagine what it would be like to go to college for so many years, but just fucking hate any and every job you could get with that degree.

What is a good way to find what I would possibly enjoy?

2. Mogul

Mogul New Member

I think it may help to go see a career counseler about this. I know most colleges have someone who you can talk to and you can take tests to see what field you want to be in. What you might think about is ROTC. They will offer you financial help for college, get you in great physical shape, and when you leave college you will have a valuable bachelor's degree and you will enter the army as an officer. Good luck sorting things out!

3. Daria

Daria New Member

My sister and I went through the same thing in highschool, except our mom (dad not in the picture) was quite a bit more supportive. Although she did not offer to pay for our education, she did offer to loan us the money until we found a job after post-secondary. My sister and I both suffer from depression and anxiety. She is now working a boring office job, but enjoying her life, as her job is not all that bad, but she lives with her boyfriend. Her boyfriend makes her life alot better.

Under the influence of my boyfriend and past highschool experiences, I decided to take computer programming in college. I wasn't sure if I was going to enjoy it or not, but I had about 2 months to decide and get a refund on my tuition fees. I decided to go ahead with it, and I'm not graduated yet, but I'm working in co-operative education at the government testing softare. I am really glad my boyfriend suggested I take computer programming, because it turns out that I have a knack for it. However, it was just a lucky guess.

There are self-help books and programs available online that can help you figure out which career you should go into. In highschool, the guidance councellors had a program which was just a series of questions. The program would analyze your answers, then suggest a career path for you. I think a program like that could help you, although I'm unsure of where to find one.

The only way to discover whether or not you like something is to try it. Unfortunately there is money at stake, but staying where you are right now will burn you out and it will definitely not help your depression. It is best that you get going as soon as possible.

Since your parents are willing to pay for your education, I suggest you try to work out something with them. That will help you a great deal.

4. GlassUser

GlassUser send an email not a pm OT Supporter

Sounds kind of like what I was doing (though I was in college at 19 while delivering pizza). You can always enlist and go for OCS - three hots and a cot with paid tuition. Or if you're really hot, you can get into one of the service academies (USAFA, West Point, Annapolis, etc).

Chances are your parents are just as frustrated with their lives after an extra 20-30 years of what you've only dealt with for a couple. If I were you, I'd stay mostly away from them and talk to a recruiter. Failing that, check up on a community college. You NEED social interaction on a daily basis, and not just work. College classes would do this and further your education.

5. Brigante

Brigante i'm a lurker without an avatar, deal with it

yeah, those self-assessment tests can help, but not resolve your issue. they'll tell you what you're good at but not necessarily what you might enjoy doing career-wise. if you like racecar driving, maybe go to a technical school like wyotech or UTI (i think it is) and be a mechanic/engineer. you'll be at least closer to the industry you dream about and you could meet the right people, network and who knows what can fall on your lap. it's a matter of getting yourself in that environment that lets you tap into those resources to get you where you wanna be. who knows, the son/grandson of an ex F1 racecar driver could be your classmate. odds may be slim, but you'll never know til you do it.