I don't know squat about car audio.. I need help...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 01mustang, Sep 4, 2003.

1. 01mustang

01mustang Kiss teh kitty!

Loudsystem won't return my IM's. :wtc:

Okay, so I'm looking at getting into car audio just because I spend so much of my time driving... it'd be nice to have a nice sounding system.

Vehicle: 2001 Ford Mustang Coupe, Stock Factory System

I'm looking at these two headunits:

Panasonic CQ-DF903U

JVC KD-SX990

I like the looks and style of both of them, but I've gotta admit that the Panasonic's display is cool. How do both of these HU's perform?

I'm also looking at changing out the speakers and adding a sub or two. I mainly listen to Hip Hop/R&B and occasionally to alternative and house. I don't need to win any competitions, don't need to wake up my neighbors... I just want something to enjoy.

I currently have the following sub and amp in my possession. They were cheap so I grabbed them but still have the opportunity to return them.

2 - 12" MTX Thunder 4000 - $29.99 each
    2 - MTX Thunder 4122 Amp - $49.99 each

Will these do? I'm thinking of going for only 1 12" due to space concerns.. what kinda box would be good? Will the amp power the sub okay?

I'm also looking at changing out the speakers and have no idea where to start. Any help would be appreciated. I'm trying to keep the whole setup under $500.

2. 3-5soul

3-5soul Guest

i'm not sure which is better but you gave a link to crutchfield. the price on there is $299 for the panasonic if you want to save some money go through www.etronics.com they are alot cheaper and you can get a 2 year replacement plan for $34.99 and the receiver itself is only $204.99
    here is the link for ya
    http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=pancqdf903u

just an fyi, you may already know this, but everything you find on any other website is usually alot cheaper on etronics.com

3. boostin-gp

boostin-gp Guest

i would do the 903u and go with Polk DB570 (IIRC the hardtops had 5X7's front and rear) speakers on the interior. with tax and stuff its probably gonna be a little over $500.

The DB570's arent subs... so dont expect that kind of bass, but I just did some in a newer F150 extended cab truck the other night and was VERY impressed. Sounded much much much better than the factory shit

4. 01mustang

Thanks... I linked to Crutchfield as they are the most comprehensive in terms of product info and images. I saw the etronics price and am am looking at ebay as well, where the unit is going for about $200 shipped.

5. 01mustang

How do the Infinity's stack up? Should the speakers just be powered off the headunit or would I gain more by powering them off the amp I have?

Infinity Reference 6802cf

Polk db570

Also I've read some posts where people are just passing on changing the rear speakers altogether. Is there a reason for this?

6. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/PANCQDF903U is a pretty good headunit, of you 2 choices i'd take it.

http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/INFREF6802CF these are pretty good speakers.

rear fill is up to you, but i'll ask you this... do you turn your back on the band during a concert??? rear fill though in most newer fords are not a bad thing, since it's not on the rear deck bouncing off the rear window creating a horn effect. it's up to you though, since you'll be the one listening to it.

7. tstrandh

tstrandh New Member

Heres a cheaper site:

http://thewholesalematrix.zoovy.com

Don't have near as much stuff, but they carry all quality products. I just ordered an Alpine CDA-9807 off them through Ebay last night (ebay prices are the same; they just do it to get business).

8. 01mustang

9. 04

04 Guest

If you can get that stuff for that cheap, I say go for it, those are incredibly low prices...

And yes, one can power your subs, and the other the speakers.

10. 01mustang

I actually picked it all up at the Fry's grand opening here in Seattle. Thanks.