I don't know much about video cards, need to slightly upgrade

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by MrBrotato, Jan 5, 2007.

1. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

I currently own a GeForce FX 5200 128MB AGP card. I got Half-Life 2 and am getting Counter-Strike: Source. This current GeForce works well, but I would like to run the video on higher settings. I don't know what to upgrade to, 256MB card, or should I go 512? I don't want anything extremely fancy or expensive. Thanks for any input.

2. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

2 questions:
    How much do you have to spend? And I don't mean how much you think you should spend on a new card, I mean how much in general
    What CPU do you have?

3. Strife

Strife Active Member

First you need to find out if your motherboard supports AGP or PCI. AGP is getting phased out but if you have an older mobo that doesn't support PCI then you're either gonna have to go for AGP or buy a new mobo.

Next look at pixel pipelines and channels (bits) of the card. A 256MB card that is 256-bits and has 20 pixel pipelines is going to beat out a 512 card with 128-bits and only 16 pixel pipelines. Clock speed is a little less important as long as they are close, you can always OC that anyways if you wanted.

I built a new computer not too long ago and for my price range the radeon x1900gt seemed the best bang for the buck. Its a 256MB card with 256bit and 16 pixels. I can run HL2 in high settings with no lag (have 2gigs of ram and core 2 duo also tho) and can play vanguard beta which is suppose to have very high requirements in moderatly high settings with no lag except loading in the huge cities for a few seconds when I first enter.

Look around and post some cards that look good for you and I'm sure people will help you out.

Or hey, you could just get everything and throw down $500 for the new geforce cards that support dx10 :/

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Gigabyte GeForce 7600GS AGP. No fan, so it's quiet (though it's a good idea to have one big fan to cool all the add-on cards), 12 pixel pipelines, 256MB GDDRAM, and other fun bits. Plus the drivers don't suck. Just make sure yuou have a spare 4-pin power connector on your PSU, because the damn thing sucks more wattage than the AGP slot can provide.

5. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

Maybe $100-150, more if I need.
    Athlon XP 2200+

6. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

As per my own video-card-related post, use DriverCleaner when you switch video cards. :big grin: