I don't know how to lose weight

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by FadedCamo, Dec 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FadedCamo

FadedCamo New Member

Hi OT Fitness board. Im 20 years old, am 5'8, and I weigh about 230 lbs. I have always been a little bit on the chubby side, but now that college has been going on, Ive been steadily getting fatter and fatter. I know the concepts of losing weight means diet and excercise, but Im never able to put them into good use. I try the gym out every couple weeks. I go and run a mile or two, and feel exhausted or try to do a couple workouts with my triceps and biceps. Usually after the first day, everything feels ten times worse. I can't bend my arms, I feel drained, my legs and thighs are sore. I keep going, but my performance in every aspect of my workout is worse. Then, after a week I see no results and fall off. I know this is just my body rebuilding new muscle, but Im not sure the best way I need to go about in my workout to lose some weight and get a good schedule going. Should I be running more or should I be working out more or should I be dieting more? How often should I be at the gym? And if a gym isnt avaliable, how else can I excersie? And whats good food to eat that isnt terrible for you and still tastes alright, and is cheap? I am a college student after all.

2. The Weasel

The Weasel Lakers, Packers, Flyers, Backpacking, Halo Crew OT Supporter

Well, i can't really give you any advice with the overweight part....but i had the same problem at the gym....my muscles felt like shit, and i felt like i couldn't give 100 percent....I started taking creatine and drinking nothing but water..no beer, no liquor, no soda....i lost 15 pounds and gained 10 pounds in the following couple weeks...all muscle...the creatine helped out alot for tired and sore muslcles......just my two cents.

3. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

ease your way into things.

clean up your diet by cutting out junk food... when you start going to the gym, don't jog... do elliptical machines or light cycling etc. and when you start with weights, start light... and work your whole body, not just arms.

4. 007

007 Riden, sliden, whipin and dippin, my chrome strips

its like this, your in the prime of your life, dont waste it being a fat shit loser, trust me ive been in your same shoes, your body is at its peak condition to lose weight, just stick with a clean diet, no sweets, tons of water, good protien, healhty fats, bust your ass on the weights, and do cardio as needed.

5. Plan B

Plan B New Member

i don't know if it's been said, but drink more water. sounds like you're dehydrated.

Obviously to lose weight, it's a simple formula of eating less CALORIES than you're using. Just do it.

6. RedGoober4Life

RedGoober4Life New Member

It took me a year and a few months to go from 218 to 145. My goal was 150. Then I stuck with 145 for about a year, and now I'm at 150 after lifting for about a month and a half. This was all diet. If you think you will give up trying to lose weight, then only switch your diet for the time being. Maybe make some lifestyle changes (not sitting around a lot, getting a job that's decently active). Eat less. You will get used to eating less.

I actually find it difficult to eat enough in college, so maybe you need to join some clubs or get a shitty major like ChemE. ;)

7. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

a few points:

-watch what you eat... meals-wise and snacks-wise... diet is a HUGE part of weight loss/muscle building... i didn't know myself until i put it to use and saw the changes start to pick up speed

-get to the gym and do compound lifts... forget about biceps and triceps for the time being... do squats, deadlifts, bench press, rows, lunges, and anything else that recruits multiple muscle groups. the more muscle groups an exercise uses, the more calorie burning potential it has

-cheap, good food? tuna, chicken, leafy greens, etc. replace the crap in your diet (read: chips, candy, soda) with calories that will actually do something for you... and try to get more protein. if you think you're getting enough, eat more and if you think you aren't getting enough, eat MUCH more

-cardio's good and all, but cardio + diet + weight training = win... using cardio to "make up for" eating crap calories technically works, but it's easier not to dig yourself out of a hole if that makes sense. and weight training will help burn calories in addition to build LBM, which will raise your resting/basal metabolic rate (meaning you'll burn more calories throughout the course of the day doing whateverthefuck you do during the day)

8. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Get on Pur's routine or a good routine such as WS4SB, Pendlay, etc.
    Then watch this video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHn871mqM-w
    At your point, diet is easy. Eat better food, changes will come naturally.

9. A-NON-A

A-NON-A New Member

Holy Shit!!! Did I walk into a different forum??? No directed hate or read the stickies??

I recently went from 255 to 217 in about a 4 month period. The key for me is making LIFESTYLE changes. A DIET is something that most people fail with and end upgetting fat again. You have to figure out how serious you are and go from there. When I decided I was serious , I was successful.

One thing that worked for me also was gradual changes. I didnt just start eating 100% clean or working out like a mad man. For me I started eating healthy Mon-Fri but cheating on weekends. I started running 1 mile 3 times a week . After 2 weeks I started running 3 miles 3 times a week and I only would cheat one day a week instead of all weekend. From there it progressed as I saw results and felt better. After about a month I started lifting and and my cheat days had been reduced to a single cheat meal every week.

The only thing did 100% from the first day was drink water like a fish and cut out all my soda intake.

10. SanchoPancho

SanchoPancho New Member

There's good advice in this thread.

A really important thing, like everyone is saying, is to ease in to it. It seems like you get a sudden urge to get in shape and then overwhelm yourself at first trying to get sudden results (which doesn't happen) and burn yourself out. It takes time to see any real gains (or losses). Before I start hitting the gym again (usually after a relationship) I ease into getting in shape by jogging everyday or every other day for about two weeks. I'll also do push-ups every night. After two weeks I'll be able to run further and do more push-ups then when I started. THEN I start hitting the gym and it doesn't hit me as hard. Yes, the first time you work out you will get painfully sore and stiff. Painfully. But after that first week you'll be fine. Also, it's very important to work out your legs. That's alot of muscle that you can be building in there that'll help you burn more calories through out the day. Just remember to not overwhelm yourself.

Also, I find that I naturally eat healthier once I start working out. I'll see some junk food and get the urge to eat it but then realize how hard I worked out that day and how that one (insert junk food) will set me back.

11. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

wtf helpfulness in this thread

12. Plan B

Plan B New Member

'Tis the season..

13. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

yeah cause the soreness definitely won't bother him then :mamoru:

14. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

but it's sooo low volume [​IMG]

15. Felix

Felix Its good to be me.

Just man up. Just do it. Thats all there is to it. Either you don't and whine, or you do and see results.

16. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

17. penisbird

penisbird Guest

dont eat

18. phyphoestilic

phyphoestilic New Member

Lol, I'm with u, 20, 5'8", 220lbs, and poor college student here. Had a pretty simple diet and workout routine going for about 2 months (dropped to about 205lbs) and got alot stronger, then stopped for 2 weeks (worse idea ever) now im back to 220lbs and weak like a little bitch. I started working out again and I need to change my diet, too much cups of noodles since I have nothing else around

19. crown royal

crown royal Active Member

pics pics pics

20. Daria

Daria New Member

I had the same problem all through my teenage years (I am now 23). Just this past year, I started going to the gym about 3-4 times a week doing very difficult group classes. I probably started out way too hard, but that's all that the gym offered. I varied my choice in classes from yoga tai-chi pilates, high impact cardio, low-impact cardio, light-weights, and a fun dance class once in awhile. All classes last 60 minutes. On my days off, I would take 45 minutes to 60 minute hilly walks. I generally eat well, because I enjoy eating whole grains, vegetables, and lean meats, but I also like to have the bad stuff too. I had HUGE hunger problem. I was hungry ever two hours.

For a full six months, I did not feel or see any big changes. I felt a little stronger, a little better, but VERY bloated. I'm a woman, so maybe men don't get so bloated. One thing I did notice almost immediately was a sharp drop in appetite. When I ate unhealthy food, I actually started to feel sick. And when I was hungry, I couldn't eat that much. Even through my smaller appetite and greatly increased exercise routine, I was very bloated and feeling very down. I was extremely fatigued and sore all the time. But I kept going to the group classes, because I was having fun and I knew it was good for my health. I actually gave up on the weight loss battle and just did everything for my health.

After the initial six months, everything changed. I stopped walking with a cane, because an injury in my knee was actually repaired by strengthening the muscles in my legs. My athsma was better. I started losing major inches. I only weight myself when I go to get a physical at the doctor, so I don't know how much I've lost, but I did go down one dress size, which is phenomenal progress for me.

I think you should continue going to the gym, and forget about trying to see results within a week. It seems that for some people, it may just take more time and more perserverance.

21. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

I've lost like 7 pounds since friday...it's real simple...just don't eat...

22. TZ

TZ Banned

GET FUCKING HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

23. Daria

Daria New Member

But what are the odds you'll be successful by continuing to not eat? You can lose muscle and get sick from malnutrition. When you start eating again, you'll put the weight back on easier.

I think the thread starter is on the right track by going to the gym and looking for a way to eat better.

24. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

bitch I'm Elite!

:wtc:

25. RedGoober4Life

RedGoober4Life New Member

I don't have any before pictures. Well, I do. But they don't showcase my body.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.