GUN I don't know how some places stay in business :ugh:

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by xpinchx, Nov 19, 2008.

1. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

Ordered a lower from Military Gun Supply in TX so I look on gunbroker for a listing of FFLs near me and there's two different ones on there who transfer for $25, so I just picked the closest one. I call them up and ask if they can do transfers, and the guy says there's a "complicated list of rules" and that I should come in to talk about it :ugh:. I couldn't imagine how complicated it would be, but whatever I drive the 15 miles out there and I figure I could check out the store too. Turns out his "store" is a barn behind a farm house, it was a bitch to find. His website advertised "rare ammo, fair prices." I figure maybe they have some 5.45x39 since noone else carries it around here. Turns out all that rare ammo is just weird obscure calibers that noone uses anymore. Anyway, he starts going through all these rules about a private citizen selling to a private citizen and I'm like "Woah, hold on. I'm buying from an FFL you know that right?" :uh: Then he basically said I don't have to worry about anything and he'll fax his FFL tomorrow. Fine, I wasted 20 minutes driving each way, but whatever. I ask about his fee and he says it's $35. I say his ad on gunbroker said $25. He says he upped it because of the election :weak: and I have to pay MI sales tax. I say that makes no sense because I technically bought the gun in TX and he's just transferring it :rofl: fucking shady as shit. He just said "That's the rules". I just laughed and walked out of there.

Called up the local pawn shop where I bought my glock and asked him. It's just a $25 flat fee, he faxes his FFL and he needs a copy of their FFL. Done and done, order is shipping tomorrow.

2. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

i would have :io:'ed the shit out of that situation.

3. My guess is that guy doesn't do too many FFL transfers.

4. xpinchx

:rofl: I should report im to the IRS, I guarantee you he's reporting that sales tax as revenue. Fucking fraud.

5. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

Those are HIS rules, how dare you laugh at them. If you don't like them, you can take your business elsewhere...o wait... :mamoru:

6. xpinchx

Him:
    1 hour out of my day to drive there and back
    $35
    +6% on whatever I buy

My new guy:
    A 2 minute phone call
    $25

Really hard decision to make. I wouldn't trust that retard with my ATF paperwork anyway.

7. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

call the feds on his bitch ass.

8. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

:werd:

9. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

dot. what a crock of shit :rofl:

I don't support jackasses like that

10. mikeflys1

mikeflys1 New Member

Wait, he wanted sales tax on the gun? I've had places charge tax on the transfer fee but fuck that.

11. xpinchx

:werd: He was really clear about it, too. "And you pay sales tax on whatever it is you bought." :wtf:

Also, it's one thing to raise the prices of the guns themsevles since there's a huge shortage right now and the price of manufacturing is going up, but raising the prices on transfer fees for the election is pretty low. That's basically the definition of profiteering. Let's say you go to one of the last few gas stations that have attendants that pump the gas for you. If one day the gas is at $2/gal and a $1 fee for the attendant to pump it for you, and the next day there's a shortage of gas and it goes up to $3/gal, there's no reason to increase the amount you pay to have the attendant pump it for you.

12. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Well at least he told you before the gun was in his possession.

13. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

Legally they can charge you sales tax on the transfer fee, but I'm not sure on the value of the gun. It's an out of state purchase, and not subject to tax. I know a lot of FFL's do it, but I was never told how it's actually legal.

The guy I use owns a motorcycle shop who has an FFL to. He does mostly transfers only, $25 and no bullshit, he does class III stuff to for $75. He told me he gets $800-$1200 a month just in transfer fees, and is happy to have the income and stuff flowing in and out of his book so he can show the ATF that he is "in business" if he gets audited.

14. xpinchx

That's awesome. How much work goes into having an FFL?

15. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

A fair amount. Unless you have a current business, or own commercial property you will likely end up having to lease an area. You might be able to get away with using a barn/shop/etc as your place of business, but it's discouraged. It is not something you get just to expand your collection on the cheap.

I was pretty serious about getting my 01, but after talking with ATF, and other FFL's, it wasn't worth it to me. Too much hassle, red tape, liability, etc. Easier just to make friends with people in the industry and piggyback off them.

Though now of course I'm wishing I would have had it, and purchased a container full of AR's....

16. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

it's more than discouraged. you can get grandfathered in, but these days if you don't have a storefront, they don't really budge on the matter. My old man had his FFL for many years, only to help him boost his collection. :mamoru:

then a few years ago when they exorbitantly raised the price, he dropped it. shortly thereafter he was going to get it again, and the process had made it so he would have had to have a storefront. :greddy:

17. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Yeah, there are several old timers around here who have had theirs since Christ walked the earth, and done so largely only so they could get guns easier/cheaper.

I was in a position to have a legit storefront, but they wanted an actual "gun store", with stock, employees, and all that jazz. I was trying to play the online/mail order route, but that was pretty much a no go. It was made fairly clear to me that unless I wanted to open a full-time gunstore, it probably wasn't going to happen.

For me, it simply wasn't worth the time/effort I'd have to put into it. Too bad, cause I think I'd be good at running guns.

18. cent

cent New Member

only the receiver needs an FFL. the sender doesn't need to have an FFL. I hate FFL's that won't accept shipments from private citizens.