GUN I don't get the "I would never use an AK for defense" mentality

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by xpinchx, Mar 27, 2009.

1. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

At least those who justify it by saying the media would portray you as a terrorist or that even if it was a good shoot a jury would somehow charge you with manslaughter just because you use an EBR to defend yourself. If it's a good shoot it's a good shoot and as long as your lawyer know his ass from his elbow you'll be scott free. Same goes for those who say not to use modified firearms for defense. The media might call you out on using a weapon that's designed to explode babies but who cares? They're not on the jury.

Just a little rant. :o I see this come up every now and then and I think some peope get over paranoid about things like that.

2. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

I would if I had to, but I'd much prefer something else.

Why I don't believe that the gun could/should make any real difference in a criminal case, I personally wouldn't want the media attention surrounding me (and I think that is faaaar more plausible).

3. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

In a populated are I feel the likelihood of a round punching through an outer wall is too high. I have a handgun near me at night most times, but there's a Mossberg/Maverick 88 in my closet full of 4 buck.

4. Sailor Jerry

Sailor Jerry OT Supporter

I don't think I've ever heard anybody give that reason for not wanting for use an AK for HD.

5. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

I certainly can't say it would be my first choice, for many reasons.
    But if shit did go down in my home and that just happened to be the closest gun to grab, I'm not putting it down to search for something else.

6. xpinchx

unless that pistol round hits a stud it's probably just as likely to go thru sheet rock and vinyl siding as the AK round. Even still I'm not really targeting people like you in this thread, but people who say they wouldn't use a scary assault weapon, NFA item, gun with modified trigger, etc etc for defense soley because they have this idea in their head that they'll be instantly convicted for using anything that could be portrayed as evil in the court of law.

7. Rip The Jacker

Rip The Jacker New Member

I want to use a silenced pistol for HD just because hearing damage worries me :o

8. Slick26

Good luck explaining that one to the DA.

9. Rip The Jacker

Rip The Jacker New Member

i think thats pretty reasonable :dunno:

10. xpinchx

I'd dig some up for you but I'm posting from my phone... It doesn't come up that often but when people post that their carry gun is modified, or they load them with handloads there's always at least one person that chimes in how a friend of a friend talked to a cop who knew a lawyer's daughter said in court the jury will think of a lighter trigger as modifying it to make it more deadly and how that's overkill. In reality even if the prosecuting lawyer brings that up it's an easy defense. "that's the point my client was in fear for his life and intended to use deadly force to neutralize the threat."

11. Slick26

Try it, let's find out :rofl:

jk, don't.

12. xpinchx

This is exactly the mentality I'm talking about. If you use a loud gun and are concerned about you & your family's hearing, use it. Worst case scenario it will get confiscated, but in all likelihood if it's a good shoot you aren't going to be serving time by using a legally owned NFA item. If you want to use an SBR because it's more maneuverable, use it if you think it will help you save your life. I'm not advising everyone Togo out and buy registered machine guns for HD but don't worry about how the media will portray you, just do what you have to do and hire a decent lawyer.

13. Slick26

Hey man, I agree with you. I just see it as one more thing they can, and will, go after you for.

With that said, that's the only shitty thing about MN when it comes to guns... no silencers allowed. :wtc:

14. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

this is a quick write up i did about my ideal home defense weapon:

15. T0nyGTSt

T0nyGTSt New Member

what about that guy who got hauled over the coals for using a Class III automatic rifle

it's the same thing really... the media will go to town on that fact rather than the shoot itself

16. xpinchx

man breaks into home, clear signs of forced entry, 911 recording with audible warnings to stop, threat neutralized with several .223 shots from an AR with a shortened barrel and sound suppressor, with all proper stamps and registration.

It wouldn't always happen like that but really how would they get you for anything in that case? No laws have been broken and no matter how bad it looks if it was a good shoot you're not going to jail.

The media wild probably have a hay day but as long as the right people have the facts who cares at the end of the day you're alive. "man uses sawed off assault weapon with silencer to murder troubled youth."

17. Floyd91

Floyd91 Active Member

While it would not be my first choice and I have my home defense weapons setup so where if I need to grab an ar, ak, galil, etc I'm already in a world of shit and at that point not else matters.

To go along with what a few stated the media already portrays "us" in a way that is not beneficial in situations like this. And it seems that every day more and more people are way to easily swayed by an article or something they saw on the news.

If something were to happen here and I was forced to defend myself with lethal force, I don't think they could find a juror who would not had already heard, or read about what happened with the medias spin on the truth.

18. ChipOnShoulder

ChipOnShoulder New Member

How about this: the AK has fucking terrible terminal ballistics, about on par with pistol based weapons.

Great penetration of course, but the AK round is not exactly known for its deadliness. Says who? Why, the pre-iminent expert (or father really) on terminal ballistics who's studied thousands of medical reports from the Army concerning 7.62*39 wound ballistics.

Google "Stockton Fackler" and the first hit is his report concerning the '89 Stockton shooting. 35 people including kids get shot, 30 survive. He goes on in the report to test the ammo the shooter had in his possession, and confirms pistol round like damage.

However, i wouldn't hesitate using an AK pattern rifle in a justifiable shooting if it was the only weapon i had.

19. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Or you could just use loads for it that don't suck....

20. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

like 154gr JSPs :bowdown:

21. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

what type of ammo was used in that study? what study are you even referencing, or just some mass shooting?

22. Matt2000ss

Matt2000ss OT Supporter

I would guess it was more of an issue with the ammo used.

As far as HD, my glock is more easily accessible/quick to me and would allow me better movement thru my home then my galil.

23. xpinchx

You're getting off topic here, I don't care about terminal ballistics I'm just talking about using firearms that have a bad rep with the public in general or could be conceived as too deadly or too evil.

Regardless of what people read in the news and hear from all their liberal anti coworkers, the law is the law and if you're not breaking it and it was a good shoot I highly doubt it will matter what you used to incapacitate your attacker

24. GarandBobcat

GarandBobcat New Member

shit if I could have such things, a 12" AR with Surefire 556K suppressor, T1, and Scout Light or similar would be my HD weapon.

A good shoot is a good shoot. If it's a bad shoot, well, then it doesn't matter what you used.

25. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

:wackit: