i disagree with article on birth control

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by big 1, Oct 24, 2006.

1. big 1

big 1 New Member

I just read an article written in the National POst (canadian national paper) that is written by a female writer. In this article, the writer says that birth control pills are bad for you, and cites alot of scholarly studies and science research studies to say WHY it is wrong. The post here isnt about the article, so im just going to sum it up a bit. The writer is a member of the "marriage and children society" so obviously she is going to be biased towards non-birth control.
    It bothers me that so much research and studies have been funded so that there is more "scientific evidence" to suggest that birth control is BAD. OF COURSE theyre going to say its "bad" for you, because society doesnt want women to have reproductive freedom or reproductive choices! So of course the "research" will say condoms are bad, pills are bad, spermicide cuases allergies, etc. because then less people will use birth control.
    If women are to have sex, it is up to them to decide what type/IF they use birth control. It is nobodys choice but HERS what type of birth control she uses. I draw the line between "freedom of opinion" when i read articles like that one in the paper.
    What are your guys thoughts? have you seen/read anything simialar?

2. lauren

lauren Active Member

with choice, comes the responisbilty to consider both sides of an argument. most people dont have the means to conduct their own double blind study, and must rely on the works of others. thats where academic journals help....look to see if they are published in something more legit.

i think considering their method is more important than considering their bias. i wouldnt be one to throw out credible information simply bc they have an agenda or go against my personal bias, yet scepticism would be warrented.

have you looked to more independant sources to verify their conclusions? bc does have some serious health concerns, and is not safe for all people.

where do you get the idea that there is a disproportionate amount of money spent on decrediting bc vs promoting?

were they just summing up someone elses research, or was it an abstract of their own? similar to you summarizing the artical, and putting your own bias twist on it. id look to see if i could find the oringal work. that being said, link to orginal article/study?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2006
  3. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

By "draw the line between freedom of opinion" just what do you mean?

There's always been been good science and junk science. Its up to the reader to learn and determine what makes something junk and what makes something academically sound. Hormonal birth control certainly has negative side effects and can have real risks associated with using it. There certainly are bad things about the pill supported by real science.

As long as someone isn't trying to take away your right to choose and is just selling their view I don't see the problem. Be an educated consumer.

4. RedVsBlue

RedVsBlue Penguins > *

Thoughts? I think you are the one that is biased and your nonsensical rantings back that up. It sounds as if the article pointed out something things that maybe you didnt know, and may not understand, and instead if looking into it you push it off as some evil biased article against women and choice.

Hormonal BC can be very very dangerous. Women, especially young women, should be made VERY well aware of the dangers before the decision is made. Is it not best to tell women the worst that can happen, not in an attempt to convince them to stay away as you wrongfully assume, but maybe in an attempt to protect women? There are alot of dangers with sex, protected or not. Just because you want to be able to fuck whoever with no worries doesnt mean you should trounce any opposing view, especially when the goal of that view is to educate woman on the dangers they could face.

I think your views of reality and society are skewed. Have you been checked for forms of paranoid schitzophrenia? Seriously, the world isnt out there to convince women sex is bad and BC will kill. The scientists in this world arent all on one big team hell bent at destroying the lives of females. Seriously, if you really took that much from that article, you may want to look into getting some psychological help.

5. RedVsBlue

RedVsBlue Penguins > *

People dont like education when it goes against their beliefs. :hsugh:

6. lick wid nit wit

lick wid nit wit Official OT Oracle

You are right, hormonal BC can be dangerous for women who already have undelying health conditions or for women who smoke. But the benefits outweigh the risks most of the time. Women should be informed of the risks and most good health care practitioners will do that before prescribing it. But of course there will be the stupid people who will ignore the risks and go ahead and smoke or engage in risky behavior anyways.

Ask for the article Big 1 is referring to, well it was obviously written by someone who has a religious/breederific agenda. And we all know that Big 1 isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer after her posts in the "messy divorce" thread in The Asylum.

7. Abomb

Abomb New Member

:mamoru:

8. The Secretary

The Secretary My domestic skills will rock your socks off!

Shes lost almost all credibility with me, like that means much. I see her posts, sigh and think whats the rant about this time.

9. Abomb

Abomb New Member

read big1s posts in the asylum thread...... and.......

I think she has downs snydrome

10. lauren

lauren Active Member

:ugh: wtf, and why are you still on his account?

11. RedVsBlue

RedVsBlue Penguins > *

At first I thought I may have been a little harsh with the accusations of a mental illness, but everyone else seems to agree. :bigthumb:

12. scent of a wookie

scent of a wookie OT Supporter

what? scientific research on medicince? there must be some evil plan in the background :hsugh:

13. lick wid nit wit

lick wid nit wit Official OT Oracle

I see her posts and just roll my eyes.

14. Bruticus

Bruticus half dead OT Supporter

I'd have been against it but then it's the same crazy person from the 'messy divorce' thread in Asylum. If you want to :rofl: at someones misguided views, take a read :)

15. RedVsBlue

RedVsBlue Penguins > *

WOW :eek3:

Crazy indeed