I detailed my car for the first time, incl. PIC! One question..

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by ok_computer, May 1, 2007.

1. ok_computer

ok_computer OT Supporter

So I spent 3 hours this afternoon detailing my car, and when I got back in I could barely shift gears my arms were so fucking tired. Did it all by hand :sad2:

Anyway, my main concern is this: I went out for a drive afterwards, and when I got back, a TON of dust stuck to my car. The dust was all in weird swirly shapes too, obviously following whatever pattern I used to wax it. Is this supposed to happen? I know there's such a thing as sealant (I think I've heard that mentioned in a detailing context) that I should have put on to prevent this? I'm not really sure if I did something wrong of if it's just unavoidable physics :dunno:

I really have NO IDEA when it comes to this stuff, so I basically guessed the order I should have done it in, and I like the result alot. The car was a 2002 VW GTI, and the paint on it is HORRIBLE. Swirls all over the place, scuffs, etc, etc. It's a really dark blue, which makes everything worse, it always looks dirty.

Here's my order and products used:

1) Washed my car at the wand wash place in town

2) Used a Meguiar's Smooth Surface clay kit. My car felt really grimey, there was alot of resistance, but I got it all off I think.

3) Applied Meguiar's #9 Swirl Mark Remover. This stuff ROCKED. The difference was amazing after putting this stuff on. I put it on with a foam pad that came with an old Turtle Wax orbital buffer dealey, and cleaned it off with a microfibre towel.

4) For the wax, I used Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech wax. This was my last step, it was relatively easy to put on, much less physically taxing compared to the swirl remover and clay bar.

Thats all I did :dunno: How did I do? Any glaring mistakes?

I only have 1 pic.. and here it is:

[​IMG]

Looks good to me :hs:

2. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

Nice; you should take some body shots.

It sounds like your order was correct. It's normal for a freshly waxed/sealed car to attract dust. As for the patterns, I have no idea why that would result. If you like the results, you should get a Porter Cable...it's amazing what it can do that your arms just can't tackle. I used to do all my cars by hand but after my PC, arms alone just can't compete.

3. SoySauciAl

SoySauciAl Guest

first off, meguiar #9 LOOKS amazing but wait till the next day.. 99% of the swirls will come back because all it is is a bunch of oil in the bottle! plus the wax you got is crap. were you sure all the wax was off? did you go over it with a mf after or just rubbed it in until it clears and called it a day? your not suppose to coat the wax, your only suppose to apply it and very little will stick to the cc.. then do it like the karate kid.. wax on, wax off. dust just attract a little to newly applied paint but that doesnt explain the swirly pattern of the dust. try wiping it down again with final detail spray and see if theres any excess wax.

4. ok_computer

ok_computer OT Supporter

I was just getting whatever I could at the Canadian Tire here. I don't order anything online because shipping to Canada is usually not worth it. They do carry a bunch of the "Professional Mirror Finish" stuff though. :dunno: What are my alternatives?

I bought the wax at Wal-Mart :hs: it was the best they had, but then I noticed the professional stuff at Canadian Tire, still figured I'd try the NXT stuff. Would it be stupid to go buy some Meguiar's Professional wax? Or should I not wax so soon afterwards?

I just followed directions on the bottle, wax entire car, and then wipe off. I basically just wiped it down once and looked for imperfections.

5. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

Your steps are correct. The pic looks good from here, but a full body shot where we can see the details of the detail job is always helpful. Personally, I use a lot of microfiber towels. I hate finding a spot that I missed the next morning after all my hard work, I rub the paint a lot.

Also - a PC will really, really make a difference on VW paint. It has been said many, many times here that VW paint is hard to work with. A) that explains the soreness in your arms B) a PC will pay for itself by finishing your work quicker with less pain C) the finish on the paint after 4000 RPMs of PC lovin' is AMAZING!

When you rub the paint with the MF towel, you can generate static on the freshly waxed paint. Thus, it becomes a dust magnet ... until the next washing. If it really bothers you, wash it again.

I don't think the NXT wax is bad at all. It is one of the better off-the-shelf waxes. For a similar price, I like Optimum's Spray Wax. Same concept, easy on, easy off.

6. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

BTW - I forgot to say, Great job!! At the end of the day, if you are happy with the results, then that is what matters. I love the way freshly detailed paint feels. :cool:

7. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

#9 and NXT are not crap. Hell, #9 or #82 were my go to light polishes until #80 came out. Quite honestly, I can't really tell a difference on a well prepped car between NXT and Zaino Z5. Z5 is more durable but the difference isn't as big as the Zaino nazi's would have you think.

With NXT, you need to apply it thinly and allow 15 minutes before removing. I think you may have applied it too thick and didn't fully wipe off the excess. Once you wash it again, the dust attraction should be a lot less.

8. SoySauciAl

SoySauciAl Guest

MAYBE its not crap but its a big pain in the ass with the #9 (i think its #9 or swirl remover 2.0) hiding everything on the first pass and then not being able to see any flaws when you continue on.. do you wipe it down with alcohol every few passes to see the REAL progress or you just keep going at it until you think right?

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2007
  9. ok_computer

ok_computer OT Supporter

I think I might have put too much on, yeah. I'd say I used a nickel sized amount for each area about the size of the hood :o

10. SoySauciAl

SoySauciAl Guest

I was just getting whatever I could at the Canadian Tire here. I don't order anything online because shipping to Canada is usually not worth it. They do carry a bunch of the "Professional Mirror Finish" stuff though. :dunno: What are my alternatives?

Try finding a automotive paint supply store. 3m product is the king! A little messy to use as it dust a lot but im telling you, there is no type of correction like 3m product.. thats all they use at the bodyshops to buff out cars because a) its VERY effective b) theres no filler or oil in it because fresh paint wont allow it c) its just the best. the stuff may be a little pricey but it is well worth it for true paint correction! i buffed out 1500 sand marks by hand using different levels of 3m compounds then polish.

I bought the wax at Wal-Mart :hs: it was the best they had, but then I noticed the professional stuff at Canadian Tire, still figured I'd try the NXT stuff. Would it be stupid to go buy some Meguiar's Professional wax? Or should I not wax so soon afterwards?

i have a bottle of meguiars yellow wax but never bothered to use it. i heard its good stuff. i just heard nxt generation doesnt last all that long. i also have a bottle of that too but never used it.

I just followed directions on the bottle, wax entire car, and then wipe off. I basically just wiped it down once and looked for imperfections.

wipe it more than once until it feels slick and like there is nothing on the paint. letting any wax/sealant sit for a long time can cause it somewhat difficult to remove. how long did it take to wax the entire car before you took it off? in the shade, garage, or in the sun?

11. SoySauciAl

SoySauciAl Guest

that doesnt seem like too much. maybe letting it sit for too long?

12. The Saggin' Nutz

The Saggin' Nutz New Member

I dont know to much about waxing but from that pic it looks like you did a decent job

13. ok_computer

ok_computer OT Supporter

Honestly it's more just the angle I think, it's not blindingly reflective or anything.

14. ok_computer

ok_computer OT Supporter

I'd say it took about 10 mins to wax the entire car, I let it sit about 5 minutes, then took it off. Did this inside my garage

15. Scottwax

The key to success with Meguiars (and Optimum as well) is using less than you think you need and working it until it is nearly clear. If it takes a long time to clear out, you are using too much and the polishing oils prevent the actual abrasive polishing medium from reaching the paint and/or break down properly.

16. SoySauciAl

SoySauciAl Guest

i tried that with optimum hc and still nothing much happened even with a rotary. i even tried one pea size for foot x foot section but i was afraid because it felt like pad to paint action.. when i looked at the pad, it seemed like it just exsorbed into that little pea size spot and the rest of the pad was still dry. actually, using any small amount seems like just exsorbs into the pad and i was afraid on that. i just dont see how this almost water like product has any ability to cut? chemically maybe?

17. ok_computer

ok_computer OT Supporter

18. ok_computer

ok_computer OT Supporter

ugh, worst day ever for pics, but here's a few full body:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

looks like you did a good job to me!

20. spitfyre

spitfyre OT Supporter

VW paint is a pain and it's hard to get rid of all the swirls even with a PC :hs:

21. Scottwax

Hell, even with a Cyclo or rotary! Audi and Corvettes too. :sad2:

22. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

GM paint in general is shit to work with.

Holds up really well though.