"I DESTROYED my lower back with bent over rows and deadlifts"

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by thebeave, Apr 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thebeave

thebeave New Member

:hsugh::hsugh::hsugh:

http://www.mattfurey.com/growth_hormone_060204.html

Everywhere you turn these days, you read something about hormones and how, as we age, our body gradually decreases the amount it used to make for us. Around age 30, but it can start sooner, your body produces less and less of the hormones that were keeping you young, healthy and fit. Once you hit 40, 50 and up, it becomes critical that you exercise and eat right to maintain health. In regard to exercise, once you start hitting the ages I mentioned, time is of the essence. You don't want to nor can you afford to 'waste time' with exercises that don't get you into shape fast. Not only that, but if you've been sedentary (the nice way of saying you've parked your butt in a chair for far too long), you've got to be smart about how you 'wake your body up.'

You don't want to jump into dangerous weight training exercises like deadlifts, bench press and barbell squats. Sure, these can put on muscle and strength, but not without putting harmful stress on your joints (shoulders, knees and back).

Some people have asked about the military press as an exercise. Why? They ask because I do NOT advocate the bench press due to the way it destroys the shoulder - yet DO advocate handstand pushups. They question: Wouldn't military press give you the same benefit as the handstands? Answer: While the military press is a better choice than the bench press - it still cannot favorably compare to handstand pushups. Doubt me? Then check out our program on handstands and see for yourself. For more information on it go here

---

After sending out yesterday's email a number of replies came back, mostly favorable, and with horror stories that confirmed the truth of what I stated. For example, Mark Tripp of Michigan, a champion Judo player and martial artist, wrote:

'I am one of those people who DESTROYED my lower back with bent over rows and deadlifts which I began at 16 and did for over 20 years. My bridging is going painfully slow because of it, but keep warning people. If I drive over long periods I spasm and get numbness in my leg because of this! Keep up your great work!'

A few years back I did a seminar in Ohio for John Saylor, another Judo champion. John was nearly 50 at the time and still tough as nails. Only thing is there were many exercises I taught that he could not do because of shoulder injuries and lower back pain. I asked him how he hurt these areas so badly. His answer: 'When I first began in judo I asked the teacher how to train to get stronger. He told me to do two exercises: Bench press and squat. Yeah, I got stronger, but I trashed my body in the process.'
    Matt Furey has a DAILY Politically Incorrect fitness tip for you! Name:
    E-Mail:

Like Mark, John now uses Combat Conditioning as part of his daily training. Just imagine if he had done it all along - and never touched the bench press/squat. I think he'd be whooping people, pain free, into his 70's.

Anyway, I've digressed slightly from the theme of today's newsletter. So let me quickly give you ...

5 Ways to Naturally Increase Growth Hormone and Turn Back the Clock of Time

1. When you are in reasonable condition, begin doing hill sprints as shown in Combat Conditioning.

2. Do exercises that simultaneously work a lot of major muscle groups. Hindu pushups, Hindu squats, jumper squats, bridging, reverse pushups - all of these fit the bill. Also, note that hill sprints are working MAJOR muscle groups.

3. Do exercises that get you winded. Having to 'catch your breath' increases GH. All of the exercises listed above do this, but there are many others I teach in my Inner Circle.

4. After you train, do not eat anything sweet or sugary for two hours. In fact, if you just 'don't eat' for the full two hours, this is even better. When you train hard your body naturally releases GH. When you eat sweets, this causes an insulin spike which interferes with the release of GH.

5. Do not eat for 2 hours before going to bed. Sleep time is when your body wants to repair itself via the release of GH. If you eat at midnight, then go right to bed, you won't get the full fat-burning, muscle-building benefits. Well, my friend, that's all for now. Have a great day.

Kick arse - take names!

2. RICK RO$$

RICK RO$$ Active Member

Matt Furey is a faggot with a shitty website to try and sell his shit videos

3. thebeave

thebeave New Member

I especially like "Just imagine if he had done it all along - and never touched the bench press/squat. I think he'd be whooping people, pain free, into his 70's."

:rofl::rofl:

4. TZ

TZ Banned

Do we hate on Matt Furey or something guise?

5. THE mister juice

THE mister juice jfk→sea

handstand pushups, completely risk free.

6. delay pedal

delay pedal Guest

i had a dream i could handstand pushups without a wall

7. PreemO

PreemO OT Supporter

matt furey endorses crossfag crossfit

8. TZ

TZ Banned

:bowrofl:

9. jonno

jonno New Member

jesus fuck

10. thebeave

thebeave New Member

I didn't even read the 1-5 shit...

what the fuck? don't eat post workout? :bowrofl:

11. The Method

The Method Lurker In Progress

Funny thing is crossfit encourages oly lifts...

but hai... while we're hating why not throw crossfit in there as well :ugh:

12. The Method

The Method Lurker In Progress

For cereal though, that article was the biggest waste of 30 seconds I'll ever experience in my life

13. PreemO

PreemO OT Supporter

:ugh:

14. Whitey Ford

Whitey Ford New Member

I used squats, deadlifts, good mornings etc to cure my back issues. Took 6 months of compound lifts to get rid of my chronic back and leg pain.

I now live pain free without drugs or surgery.

15. TZ

TZ Banned

:rofl::ugh:

16. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

Matt Furey's a joke among the MMA community and whats with the hate on Cross fit?

17. egxflash

egxflash Riding on the Midship Express

:greddy: x eleventybillion

18. tbizzle

tbizzle you smoke that shit?

you didn't get the memo?

19. Memor

Memor Active Member

it's the latest OTFN el oh el hate train

i wish furey would step in front of a bus

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.