MMA I despise "rolling from the knees"

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by metallikatz56, Jan 4, 2007.

1. metallikatz56

metallikatz56 New Member

I suck at going live from the knees. I'm a striker by nature, and am very explosive on my feet, and can nail a nice takedown or slam with confidence, and can more than hold my own on the ground in general, but I'm as quick as a pile of elephant crap from the knees. I make the little guys look spectacular. I get constant shit about it from my team and instructors. I always end up having to work twice as hard because I keep getting stuck in a compromising position. To hell with this pattycake jiu jitsu shit :noes: I just want to hit and slam people :wtc:

/rant

2. Drunk Bastard Audio

Drunk Bastard Audio New Member

starting from the standing position would benefit you how if you're a striker....either way, you still have to "takedown" your opponent to gain a dominant position.

3. Drunk Bastard Audio

Drunk Bastard Audio New Member

it's not the wicked take downs that get me, it's the gnub football tackle and trying to pick me up and slam me type take downs that annoy me.

4. teep

teep New Member

:werd: I always butt scoot and pull guard because thats where I'm weak. I pick up the pace and play my speed game only when I'm rolling with guys that are much bigger and better than me.

5. metallikatz56

metallikatz56 New Member

We have to start from the knees. When standing, I'm quicker than anyone in my weight class or heavier. I can just smother the smaller guys, too. From the knees is my "glaring weakness." I just suck at getting right into a dominant position. My sub defense and sweeps, however, have improved immensely because of this. I just prefer to avoid a compromised spot right off the bat if possible. Oh well. Such is the penalty for taking time off.

6. metallikatz56

metallikatz56 New Member

Twice a day, son. I live at the gym. As a PT, my day starts at 5 am, and ends with jiu jitsu at 10pm. It's not a matter of work ethic, it's a matter of pulling my head out of my ass. I took time off from grappling, and everyone else caught up.

I'm just extremely self-critical, and never content with anything I do. I could tap Fedor (one can dream), and bitch about not doing it quickly enough. Although, according to Sammo, Fedor's ripe for a chokeout lately.

7. xinster

xinster New Member

i get guillotined from the knees at least over 50% of the time.

8. Sylva

Sylva New Member

:eek4: Stop leading crown of head first.

The only complaint I have is all the spastastic nubes that think they have to give everyone that puts them in a triangle the carlos newton treatment.

9. AK-47

AK-47 Banned

i just don't see the point of going from the knees, it's useless. I just tell guys to start in my guard, or for me to start in theirs, it's just so much more applicable then starting from the knees

10. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

you should not be tryign to get a dominant position from the knees. either you or your partner pulls guard. if you took a guy down, youd have a good chance of ending up in his guard. pretend that you did a spectacular hip toss, and he sucked you into his guard. then work from there, k?

11. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

This is exactly what I do, I work my takedowns during my wrestling class but when it comes to BJJ, its all ground baby. I usually straight off the back go onto my back and work the ground game, working any takedowns from the knees is stupid and pointless if you're going to compete at the higher levels where you start standing.

12. metallikatz56

metallikatz56 New Member

Point taken. My complaint stems from the fact that we always roll that way. Only on MMA nights do we do much in the way of standing takedowns, and that's only if the class is small enough. Even then, we stop once the takedown is finished and position is established. Rarely do we get to chain it all together (start from standup, get a takedown, roll from there), unless I can convince a training partner to show up with me off-hours when we have the mats to ourselves.

13. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

you might consider some better conditioining... do you work out with weights and/or do a lot of calisthenics?

If not, strength training with weights may help some in explosivity, and also gaining core strength would be beneficial...

14. metallikatz56

metallikatz56 New Member

conditioning isn't the issue. I don't tire when rolling or training. It's just mechanics. I live in the gym. I'm a part time PT, and work out twice a day. I work with most of the other fighters I train with on their conditioning, I swim, play in 2 basketball leagues, spar multiple times a week, etc.

15. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

yeah I figured it wasn't an issue, especially when considering that rolling is one of the toughest workouts I've ever had... but that's probably because I've only done it a few times and go tmy ass kicked by stronger dudes all of them :mamoru:

since I'm not a ground fighter I really can't help, but I do know that it's pretty much universal to any walk of life that practice makes you better at something, whatever it is.

16. Shrug

Shrug Die in a Kimbo fight

right, if your focusing on bjj rolling and not takedowns why throw in the chance of more injury, no point.

17. Shrug

Shrug Die in a Kimbo fight

this is what i usuaully do too.

18. CrazyFoool

CrazyFoool OT Supporter

So you want to start from standing? I think its safe to assume that more people would get injured that way. Do you want to risk your training habits just to stand and risk injury?

19. teep

teep New Member

I always thought that was the reason alot of places start from the knees, but the more I think about it the more it doesn't make sense. Unless mat space is an issue I don't see how you would be more susceptible to injury when standing. If you know basic take downs and know how to sprawl there should be no problem.

20. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

that's why anytime I'm going for the triangle I have an arm ready to hook that leg and put the scrunch on em if they stand up

21. time_line

time_line New Member

I love starting from "the knees." Why? Yesterday, was sparring with some ex-high school wrestler who insisted on starting standing, probably so he could hurt me more. He did a double leg on me, turned me and slammed my head into the floor. Now I have a huge fucking bump on my head. Injuries ftl.

22. FloppyCock

FloppyCock New Member

if you can get takedowns from the feet, why do you have such a hard time from the knees? underhooks, short little hip throws, short ankle/knee picks, they all work.

maybe your core isn't strong enough, and when you can't rely on your legs you lose your edge? i can't really think of a reason that you would be good on your feet and bad from your knees other than your competition sucks from their feet.

23. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

but takedowns off the knees are totally irrelevant in the first place.