I deleted some boot files from my laptop

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by xinster, Nov 10, 2006.

1. xinster

xinster New Member

and i dont think the cd rom is working. Must I take to professional unfuckulator?

2. negative zero

negative zero New Member

what files did you delete? So it won't boot at all, right? Have you tried safe mode? How about booting to last known goo config.?

3. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Why did you delete files??

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

You deleted boot files from your laptop. So, you deleted files that you knew were important? Good lord, man. Put your computer back into the box it came in and return it for a refund.

5. xinster

xinster New Member

yes, by far the dumbest thing i have ever done i know. its pretty obvious. Which boot files did I delete? Not sure, but it was probably several of them.

I do not know how to boot to last known good config, and i don't think it even goes as far as to let me select safe mode.

Basically it says xxxxx file is missing or corrupted (missing) please install this file and boot again.

If i press any key, it goes back to the first screen as if i had just turned the on button, and this loops again.

how do i boot to last known config? I tried the whole f2--> setup shit but i dont know how to work that and didnt want to fuck myself even more

6. xinster

xinster New Member

and why did i delete theM? what the fuck do you want me to say? Cause im a retard, i guess

7. negative zero

negative zero New Member

8. Coottie

No...I wasn't trying to make you feel worse than you do...I was actually curious as to what would motivate someone to do this.

My old barber was constantly complaining to me about how his computer was screwed up. As I started to ask about what could have caused the problems, he admitted deleting a lot of files because he didn't know what they were or what they did. Yeah....this is a barber with zero computer experience...but he thought if he didn't know what they were for, they must be bad.

So, I'm asking because I'm always curious as to people's motivations.

Also, if you haven't emptied your trash, the files should still be in there. Just double click your trash, select all the files then right click and select restore. Then reboot, you should be fine.

9. negative zero

negative zero New Member

I don't think he can boot up to do so. And apparently his cdrom is not working to do a "repair" of XP.

10. Coottie

Also, if you have emptied your trash...it's best to just reinstall Windows. Tracking down each file and trying to get it restored it going to be a constant headache....just reformat and reinstall. YOu will lose all your previously stored files but if your computer isn't booting, you don't have many options. If you absolutly need some files off it before you reinstall, take it to someone who knows what they are doing and ask tell them what you need.....then reinstall your OS.

11. Coottie

Well he prolly doesn't have the computer set to boot from the CD rom drive...if we tell him how to get into his BIOS, he could even screw up the hardware worse. It's best to just let someone else fix his probs.

12. deusexaethera

I'm gonna say your best bet is to boot from a Windows CD and use the Repair option. (Not the same as Automated System Restore.)

EDIT: You get to the Windows Boot Options menu by stabbing the F8 key starting right after the memory check.

13. xinster

xinster New Member

fuck it, im taking it to a pro repair guy

14. xinster

xinster New Member

i tried the f8 last known good config thing but the same thing happens it goes to windows root\system32\ntoskrnl.exe is missing

15. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

You're about to spend a lot of money.

16. xinster

xinster New Member

if my cd drive worked it woulda been easy, but now hes gotta use another one to do something i coulda done

17. deusexaethera

Or your could buy a new CD drive, and install the plastic rails from your dead drive onto it, and plug the new drive in. Still cheaper than paying a pro to run a 20-minute automated fix.

18. Coottie

perhaps spending that money will be enough motivation to NOT do this in the future.

19. xinster

xinster New Member

the joke's on you, i got a friend of a friend to do it for free! :)

Thanks again OT, this was the 3rd or 4th time you've helped me out, and it wouldve worked if my cd rom hadn't been fucked up already. I'l be seeing you guys again in the near future, probably :bigthumb:

20. Coottie

lol...ok but srsly...stop deleting files mkay?

21. xinster

xinster New Member

on another note, this desktop im typing out of was so slow i could only navigate about 4 pages per minute, and right clicking anything would freeze my comp for like 30 seconsd. you guys all agreed i needed to reformat (havent done so in 5 years) but today i just figured out the problem was i deleted java runtime environment!

+2 stupidity points

22. deusexaethera

Hey xinister:

open a command prompt and paste this line of code into it: (you'll need to right-click to get a copy/paste menu, Ctrl+V won't work)

Code:
    schtasks /create /tn "Automated Disk Cleanup" /tr "cleanmgr.exe ""/sagerun:50""" /sc onstart /ru system
    Press Enter.

Now type in
    Code:
    cleanmgr.exe /sageset:50
    and when the Disk Cleanup program pops up, check all of the checkboxes EXCEPT "Empty Recycle Bin" and "Compress Old Files".

Click OK. You computer will now spend a few seconds every time you turn it on deleting garbage files like old webpages and TEMP files, but it won't take 20 minutes trying to figure out how much space it could save by compressing shit.

Now you don't need to clean your computer manually! :cool: