GUN I decided to make my own .22lr IPSC targets

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Market Garden, Oct 19, 2009.

1. I was looking at buying the LV Steel scaled down .22lr steel IPSC targets, but I really don't think they're worth the $20 each he wants for the little ones + shipping, so I figure I'll give it a try making them. I have some scrap steel plates at work that should be fine, they're not too thick, but they should have no trouble standing up to .22 impacts at 100+ yards.

I'll post pics in here as I make them, so far I'm on step 1.

Step 1 was making a scaled down template. The ratios of everything here aren't perfect, but they're pretty damn close to it.

[​IMG]

Next step is cutting a few of them out with a torch. I wish I had a plasma cutter, but I don't. I'll transfer the template onto the steel and cut it out. Then I'll weld little tubes to the back of the targets to allow me to slip rebar in them so I can stick them in the ground. For when I can't pound the rebar in the ground I have an idea for mini collapsible stands.

2. JRucker2004

JRucker2004 New Member

We've got a plasma cutter. You're welcome to use it when you come out for the shoot if you want.

3. I wanted to have these all done for the shoot. I want to be able to test them out at my parents' cabin this weekend. The torch should be ok, I'll improvise a jig, and the steel is thin enough that I should be able to cut fast enough to avoid making a mess. Thanks for the offer though. :)

4. Made a cardboard template, then traced the template onto the steel plate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Keesh

Keesh New Member

How thick is that steel?

6. Maybe a little less than 1/4 inch. I'll measure when I go back to cut it, it's down in our shop at work and I'll cut it this afternoon when there is less activity down there.

7. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

I'm digging that. You might have to make a couple extras ;)

The LV stuff is nice, but obviously overkill. The "small" targets are worthless IMO - they are about the size of a coke can. The bigger ones are really nice, and you can get them with flappers and such which is kinda neat.

All that being said.... probably should have just made my own.

8. I'll see how these work. I think the rest of the scrap plates we have down there are a little thinner, maybe I'll grab one and shoot it this weekend and see if the thinner ones stand up to .22s before I make targets out of them.

9. BLH

BLH Member

Make a template out of wood, soak it in water so it doesn't catch fire, cut out with torch, touch up with a grinder and you are good to go.

10. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

very cool

11. P-chan

P-chan New Member

You sure you can't get 3 of them side by side on that plate?

12. Yeah, the plate is almost square, there's no way I could fit another one on it.

13. FrEaKsHoW 24/7

FrEaKsHoW 24/7 Member

what kind of work do you do where you have scrap steel? Just curious. I work for a plate steel fab shop here in Utah. I should make a few of those myself. Thanks for the idea.

14. I work for a lumber yard. We have a mechanic shop for our equipment, and we have lots of metal stock to fabricate things in there.

15. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Let me know how that quarter inch holds up to .22 I may grab some scraps from my work too.

16. It's a little less than 1/4. I'll let you know though. Also, we have a bunch of slightly thinner stuff too. I'm gonna grab one and shoot it this weekend to see if it'll stand up to .22 too.

17. BLH

BLH Member

Is it 3 or 4ga sheet then?

Don't try shooting it with a .17HMR...

18. I don't know, I'll measure it today. I didn't get a chance to but them out yesterday. I only intend to shoot them at 100+ yards with a .22

19. Cutting shit with a torch is way harder than you'd expect, especially tight corners. I want a water jet. Anyways, now I have to make something to use to stand them up. Oh, and I measured them, they're .250" thick.

[​IMG]

20. BLH

BLH Member

Bah, cutting things with a torch isn't hard, just need practice.

21. JRucker2004

JRucker2004 New Member

The offer to use the plasma cutter still stands. Cut as many as you need with your torch, then do the rest at my place.

22. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

was going to say the same thing :rofl::rofl::rofl:

23. I might take you up on it. I can actually grab a bunch of plates, and we can cut 2 targets out of each plate. You can have a few, and if anyone else here wants some I don't mind sending out the rough cut-outs if people want to clean them up and find ways to mount them themselves, as long as people cover the shipping.

24. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

make a wooden frame (or some thin metal tubing) and weld some thick chain to the top of each, then hang from the frame. ftw

25. The target, from head to foot is 6.5" tall. To fit 3 of them side by side you'd need a slightly more than 9" plate. There's no way there's 2.5" left above the heads of those targets.