GUN I decided to make a Ghillie suit

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by DrewDown, Jul 8, 2009.

1. DrewDown

DrewDown OT Supporter

I always thought it would be cool and I never do shit on my 6 day breaks so I decided to give it a whirl.

So I started with a multi cam flight suit. Got it a few sizes too big which is what a lot of people recommend. It's in the dishwasher right now being washed.

[​IMG]

The dark green netting in the top of this next picture is going to be used to make a large hood that I will sew to the flight suit.
    The lighter netting is going to be sewn and shoe glued to the flight suit and that is where the durlap will be attached.
    [​IMG]

Here is a picture of my durlap. Because I live in the desert I went with lighter colors. As you can see I have already started shredding it. It's very tedious.

[​IMG]

Not sure if I am gonna reinforce the front of the suit. I'm already over a 100 bucks into the project so I will give it some thought. Comments/Critizism welcome. I will update this thread as I make progress

2. striker754

striker754 Chillin

i can see you

3. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

You'll spend less $, but it's going to take time. I did research into these a while back and to make a somewhat decent one, a lot of time. But :bigthumb: for doing it. I really am going to sit down one of these days when I have some time and make one. Always thought it would be fun.

Can't wait to see your after pictures

4. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

That's ACU/UCP, not Multicam.

If you manage to make it blend in anywhere, I'll be impressed. :mamoru:

5. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

If you plan on crawling anywhere, you'll want to reinforce from nips to knees. If it's just for fun, laying in the brush and having friends try to spot you, who cares.

6. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

this is fail so far

if I was you, I would get in touch with Custom Concealment and pick the dude's brain and buy his shit

I have a multicam Viper Hood I made....raffia was a big help for high desert type areas

as kellyclan said - would get a bunch of closed cell foam and some 500 or 1000D UCP cordura and make reinforcements out of that

ESPECIALLY in the crotch area - I have caught a couple needles in the bell end...it sucks

7. DrewDown

DrewDown OT Supporter

whats fail about it? The flight suit is gonna be all covered up

8. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

the burlap is a pretty wack selection of colors and you need some green in there

I dunno if you plan on using this like, in a sand field, but I live here in AZ too...green and tan with SPARSE amounts of brown will be good

just burlap is not going to make a very good suit - the idea is to have burlap, jute, some raffia, and a LOT of places to put local vegetation in

maybe some stalk grass on the hood

I also just noticed it is a knockoff chinese flight suit (colors are too dark) which makes me think it's probably 100% cotton...not a good platform for this. I coudl be wrong on this, I hope I am

as I said above, cordura reinforcement is going to be almost mandatory

if you dyed a bunch of your burlap various shades of green and brown it would be less fail

and what's up with the seafoam burlap

9. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

rock quarry - no shit

had to touch off a pen flare to get my buddies to find me once

10. DrewDown

DrewDown OT Supporter

its 65% polyester
    I'm just gonna experiment and see how it goes

11. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

yeah okay, hard to tell from the pic - 65/35 polycotton's not really better

I would recommend a 50/50 ripstop nyco flight suit if you were doing that

but for just dicking around or casual hunting I would recommend a viper or cobra hood type getup - you're gonna be way more willing to wear it in months other than like, October-February

gl bro

12. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

Around here I wouldn't get 3 feet without having to cut myself free, the store bought 3D stuff works fine for me.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  13. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

grandma'scouch.jpg

:mamoru:

14. Laurel

Laurel New Member

I'd take Razardica's advice about dying the tan. The seafoam looks like a super unnatural color.

The plus about dying the burlap is that you can get a great deal many colors with one box of dye by adding increasing amounts of dye to the water you use.

You can also add strips (~1") of burlap to it, it saves time and breaks up the fine texture of the strings.

15. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

On a helpful note, most of these I've made I turned flightsuits or cammies inside out, to retain use of the pockets, or relocated chest and bellows pockets to sleeves. Some, I adhered multiple layers of nylon on the knees, chest and elbow/ forearms for sliding across surfaces. I also cut large areas of the back, and sewed in mil spec mosquito netting for ventilation, as well as armpits and thighs.

Unfortunately, that was all nearly 15 years ago, and I don't have pictures or the suits anymore.

16. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

My last post made it sound like I never have wanted to or never will make one. I'd like to clarify that it's still something I want to do pretty soon.