I d/l the new Vandal Hearts game on PSN, pretty sucky.

Discussion in 'Gamers' Pulse' started by blackrat, Jan 26, 2010.

1. blackrat

blackrat Active Member

It's on XBLA as well. I was a big fan of the first one on the PS1 so I was surprised to see this in the "what's new" tab when I booted up.

Gameplay is similar to the first and has the grid set up like Shining Force and FFT. Classes aren't locked anymore which is unfortunate since that was part of the strategy of the first one. Any character can do anything although when they first start out they tend to be tipped a bit towards archer or mage or fighter. As you have the characters use a certain skill though (have an archer use a sword constantly) they gain points in that category so after a couple of battles they can be different.

Only about 5 battles in, but the only semblance of difficulty so far is trying to be perfect and getting all the chests or saving all the villagers. Graphics are meh and kind of hard to see some enemies unless you zoom all the way in. Character models are bland, the first one was much better although that could just be my preference for sprites. Character design and artwork is horrible, the cutscenes are laughable because they are drawn in something resembling a western take on japanese superdeformed style. They just look like midgets with the odd proportions. Calvin's design annoys the fuck out of me. Part of what made the first one cool at the time was that your main characters were already a bunch of badasses. With this one we're once again taking the role of kids with wood sword that can take down a squad of bandits. Voices are annoying as well.

[​IMG]

:ugh2:

Even the much loved blood spray from the first one is toned down. It's still there but not nearly as cool.

VH 1

[y]liaQdS6gz5o[/y]

VH FoJ

[y]pa0JwQcHdtM[/y]

Hoping the level design and strategy steps up a bit and makes it fun despite the failure on the art side and removal of classes.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  2. Fotenks

Fotenks New Member

:bowrofl:

:bowrofl:

3. Slurms McKenzie

Slurms McKenzie New Member

I like the guy in the back waving down an AC-130.

4. blackrat

blackrat Active Member

:rofl: didn't even notice him back there.

5. Sooka

Sooka New Member

Wow that screenshot is terrible. It looks like that stupid failed MMORPG The Realm from like 2001.

6. Los

Los Active Member

7. camrytt

camrytt Sexual Deviant

eh i loved the first 2, so i'll be getting it still regardless. been waiting months for it to come out

8. blackrat

blackrat Active Member

Grab an emulator and the shining force games, you'll probably be happier.

9. kaldurak

kaldurak Gimme some sugar baby.

great games. they're on the Sonic's Ultimate Sega Genesis Collection disk which I think is down to $20 retail.