I could get a FREE Dodge Daytona Shelby, BUT...

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Sorny, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Sorny

Sorny New Member

I'm not sure what's wrong with it. It's an 87 Daytona Shelby Z, the Turbo II with a 5spd. Really nice looking car. It was my little brothers car that he had back in HS. Parked it in my dad's back yard about 3 years ago and hasn't touched it since. My dad said he's tired of the damn thing sitting there so if I get it running and get it out of his yard then he'll sign the title over to me (in my dad's name).

Last time it ran it had just gotten a rebuilt motor (oil pump went out) but some hillbilly mechanic did the work and I believe got in WAY over his head. Anyways, new turbo and transmission too. Problem is when it was running last it was like it was way out of time. It did start and drive, but it smoked a lot (black) and although it was drivable it definately didn't run like a Turbo II Dodge should. I'm thinking the guy has the timing belt off by 1 tooth or so. Adjusting the distributor cap doesn't hardly any at all. Could it be more than the timing belt/timing issue? Although it's a nice looking car and pretty fast/handles good, I don't want to tow it to my house and it never get fixed because it needs a new motor or something else I can't afford right now.

2. tbizzle

tbizzle you smoke that shit?

3. WhiteSSP

WhiteSSP OT Supporter

Just go to the junkyard and buy another motor. They're plentiful. Buy a 2.5 shortblock, throw on the tII top end and have a torque monster.