GUN I completely fucked up my Stealth Upper

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by thegooch, Sep 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

I was under the impression that bronze bore and chamber brushes were safe to use with stainless steel barrels, but after reading a thread that suggests otherwise, I emailed LaRue, and here is what they said:

I wrote:
    "I assume it's ok to use bronze bore and chamber brushes in the Stealth stainless steel barrels, correct? Thanks."

They replied:
    "Sir,
    No, use swabs or plastic.
    Thanks,

Brian Fulton
    LaRue Tactical
    512-259-1585
    www.LaRueTactical.com"

I can't believe that for $1200 they can't include a one fucking page instruction sheet that contains this valuable information. Excuse my french, but I'm quite upset right now.

I have used a bronze chamber brush twice and ran a bronze brush through the bore approximately 10-20 times, how much damage do you think I have caused?

2. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

So there are some small scratches on the beveled rear part of the chamber as seen in this photo, undoubtedly caused by the stainless steel chamber brush bristles. There are also a few small scratches that I can see just inside the chamber terminating about 1/8" to 1/4" from the rear of the chamber. I will be using a nylon chamber brush from now on. Are these scratches anything I should be concerned about?

[​IMG]

3. copeland

copeland smarter than you

Remember...it's ask then do...

not do then ask

It's fucked...minus whale order a new barrel.

4. HisXLNC

HisXLNC ๑۩۞۩๑ Hot ๑۩۞۩๑

It's not fucked, but it's definitely not going to be a match barrel.

5. I know what's going on here.

6. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

first post you said bronze brush, 2nd post stainess steel brush.

I run a bronze brush through my barrels occasionally with no ill effect. Brushes remove more crud than anything else out there. The new popular philosophy is not to clean your barrels because it shortens the barrels life. I disagree with this, I've worn out many barrels and not because of cleaning. I wear them out with lots of shooting. I rebarrel every 2 years and in AR I'm doing close to 50k in that time and pistol when I shoot lots of pistol could easily be 80k-100k.

I would shoot the gun and if you notice a decrease in accuracy I would worry. If not then I would go to patches and only use the bronze brush occasionally when needed.

ib a bunch of faggots will come in here with their don't clean, don't use brushes bullshit with posts from barf.com and other internet nonsense.

7. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

minus whale throw it away

8. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

Oh damn that sucks.

9. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

:mamoru:

10. :ugh: Nice try preemptively calling anyone who doesn't agree with you a faggot. There are lots of guys who don't buy into YOUR method and would outshoot you any day of the week. Once again, you figure you have all the answers, and anyone else is wrong. I'm not going to argue this with you though. I think it's pretty clear to everyone who regularly posts here how your arguments go.

11. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

so was it bronze or stainless? Bronze isn't a big deal but stainless is bad news.

12. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

I'm in the "I don't touch bore's unless I have to" faggotry.

My question always was.... do you wipe your ass before you shit too? Unless you are looking for longterm storage, or have noticed a decrease in accuracy, what are you hoping to gain? Cleaning shit sucks, and takes up shooting time. I run moly in my boltguns (and have thought heavily about trying it in my pistols). More FPS, less CBS strangeness, and I never have to clean shit (I run a patch of Kroil through it every once in a fucking blue moon when I'm drunk and suffering from white guilt or something).

13. Floyd91

Floyd91 Active Member

14. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

It's a respect thing. Respecting your craft, respecting your weapon. You clean your gun. On one hand you have the latest internet trend of saying you don't need to clean your gun until you have malfuntions or until you notice a decrease in accuracy. I find this disrespectful of the gun. The gun should be kept at it's optimal in reliability and accuracy.

A solider about to go into battle, a cop about to go on patrol, or a competition shooter testing his skill at a match. If it is out of respect, habit, or superstition they all have their guns clean before they step to the line.

Are we worried about loss of accuracy and reliability or are we worried about longevity of barrel life and maintaining a pristine appearance of the firearm? A clean barrel is a accurate barrel, it is a reliabile and repeatable barrel. The bench rest rifle guys run a patch after each shot for uber consitency and accuracy. That is their arena and they know what they are doing. Granted we need not go to that extereme. We do need to have the proper tools to clean our guns, we need to know how to clean our guns correctly, and we need to stop listeneing to idiots who we never met in real life tell us we never need to clean our guns unless it malfuntions or we notice a loss of accuracy. Think about it by then it is too late fucking faggots.

15. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Ok now I got that off my chest.

Modern solvents have come a long way, and ammo has come a long way. It is definately easier to clean a gun and possible go longer inbetween cleanings.

It is quite possible to damage a gun with cleaning if over done or done improperly. A crooked segmented rod is one good example. That will scratch the shit out of your bore more than anything else. Also not using a bore guide. The pics of the scratched breach face is definately from not using a good bore guide. I like the jp http://jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPRG-1

Get a good one piece coated rod like a dewey or tipton. wipe the rod after each pass. Use a rod case to protect the rod from getting bent in storage.

While a bronze brush is a must have you don't have to use it after every session. It does remove a lot of crud, more than you will get with patches. If I have to run more than 3 or 4 patches to get the bore clean I know I need to go with the brush. One or two passes and I got all the crud out. If you shoot the jacketed ammo you also need copper sovent every now and then.

You got to scrape out the carbon every now and then. That means in the bolt, in the carrier and yes even in the gas tube while your at it. Often when a gas gun malfuntions it's because it's not getting enough gas. Replace or clean it or wait for it to malfuntion. I would like to avoid the latter.

I can safely say I've worn out more barrels than anyone here with maybe the exception of david4x4. You wear barrels out by shooting, not by regular and normal cleaning.

16. Hey, look, once again it's either yar's way or you're an ignorant internet faggot.

Maybe we here are all too beneath yar's greatness to understand him. Afterall, we believe in crazy things like chronograph results, FBI test results, and sometimes we even shoot matches that aren't up to his exalted standards. Thankfully he is here to look down upon us and gift to us the knowledge he has gained from shooting 3 gun matches.

17. So, I guess I've decided to argue, but as I've predicted it's a standard yar argument. His opinion backed only by arrogance and a complete dismissal of fact.

And what the fuck does scrubbing a bore have to do with "respecting" the gun? My rifle shoots amazingly consistently with the maintenance I perform. I don't give a shit what yar thinks, or what he tells me will happen because I know what DOES happen with my rifle. I know that because I'm there when I shoot it and I can see the results with my own eyes. Of course, yar wants to disregard all the real world data we ever present to him because he knows better. (FBI tests, chronograph data) It doesn't matter that my rifle shoots ~.25MOA @ 100 yards, yar knows I'm disrespecting it. It doesn't matter that tons of people actually do shoot their rifles for hundreds of rounds between cleanings and get great consistency, yar knows it can't happen like that. You see, if you don't agree 100% of the time with him, then he brands you an internet faggot, like he's done here. I'm not saying that you shouldn't maintain your rifle, or that it's harmful to clean it. I'm simply saying that there are OTHER ways out there than just the one way yar preaches.

18. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Fixed

19. By my reckoning, my gun is totally reliable and as accurate as I expect it to be (whether talking about my AR or my Remy 700) with the cleaning I give it. Why would I clean it more than I need to to maintain those standards?

Do you change the oil in your car every 500 miles? Do you repaint your house every year? Of course not. You maintain your equipment to keep it in good operating condition. Mindlessly slaving away is nothing but idiocy that does nothing other than to make the person feel like they're doing something.

Hell, if you want to talk about ARs specifically, read the Pat Rogers article about lubrication and cleaning. He has a shit-ton more experience than yar. Of course, last time the article was brought up yar tried dismissing it all out of hand. Yar's a one trick pony.

20. droopz

droopz New Member

21. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

22. Floyd91

Floyd91 Active Member

23 posts and no one has posted some kind of haters gonna hate bullshit yet? I'm dissapointed :o

23. You are a worthless faggot. The data DIDN'T come from barfcom and you know it. We provided you links to where it was from. The police data you claim is political is the only hard data we have, and people stake their lives on it every day. You're so full of shit.

I don't give a fuck if our matches aren't up to your standards. We enjoy shooting them, getting out and meeting people, and having fun with the people we meet. For someone so goddamn arrogant you sure don't know much.

24. droopz

droopz New Member

You guys should settle this shit like americans and shoot eachother until someone wins.

Then sue.

[​IMG]

25. What's the point? Everyone here knows how yar argues. Eugene Stoner could come in here and tell yar to shut his mouth and yar would tell us that Eugene didn't know what he's talking about.

On the other hand, yar listens to people who tell him all sorts of horseshit that anyone with a brain knows to ignore. Hmm... my gunsmith tells me that a SBR AR won't make over 1500fps... makes sense to me! Oh, all these chronograph tests say otherwise? They're all bullshit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.