MMA I competed in my 2nd Judo tournament today

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by itr452, Dec 3, 2006.

1. itr452

itr452 VTEC motherfucker, GOT ANY?

Woot, hi guys! Just wanted to tell you guys that I had my 2nd judo tournament today. Going into it, i wasn't nearly as nervous as I was in my first tournament. This tournament was one of the 2 big tournaments in Western Canada so it was pretty cool to compete there.

My first tournament was really hecktic. When i went up to fight my first match, i was ready to rock in my blue double weave gi (hard as hell to grip: Adidas Champion Gi). I had to strip down immediately into a white gi cuz i was required to wear the white. This time around, i just stuck with my white gi so that i wouldn't have any wardrobe disaster again.

I competed in the lightweight men's novice division. I weighed in at 73 kg's and the heaviest fighter and eventual winner was 78 kg's. I had a BLAST today.

I went into the tournament with nothing to lose, I hadn't been at the gym for 2 weeks (i think i was making an excuse for my shitty performance). I had 4 matches today in a double elimination knockout format.

First match: Fought against a blind man, it was VERY difficult and the guy had an insane sense of touch. Every slight tug at his gi, and he'd be ready to counter. I started stiff, and so did he, we were both very defensive. The referee pulled us aside and told us to do judo and not to fight defensively otherwise we'd be awarded a shido (penalty - 2 shido's and you lose). I noticed that he was far taller than me and he kept going for foot techniques. When I had a chance, i dove in for my shoulder throw (Morote Seoi Nage: http://www.judoinfo.com/images/animations/blue/moroteseoinage.htm) I dropped wayyyyy down onto one knee and pulled him over my shoulder sending him tumbling over me. Ippon for me. After this first match, i felt confident that I had my Seoi Nage working for me. My instructor commended me because he said it was hard as hell to get down that low and land an Seoi Nage with my opponent slouching way down.

Second match: I fought against a judoka from Steveston Judo (excellent club and excellent instructors). I started out loose and didn't feel too nervous. I scored a koka (1/4 point) on the guy by foot sweeping him and sending him down to one knee. I got to the ground and then tried to pin him (my division had 0 submissions, no chokes or armbars :( ) I got another 1/4 point by holding him down for 20 seconds, but he turned around and turtled. The ref stood us up. I knew i was doing alright because I was up a half point on him half way into the match. Immediately after that, i decided that i wasn't going to get beaten when I had 2 koka's so I went for an Ippon Seoi Nage (http://www.judoinfo.com/images/animations/blue/ipponseoi.htm) . I dropped down low again, and i over-rotated and landed my opponent dangerously close to his head. I lucked out and managed to score another Ippon. After this match, i was feeling confident knowing that the worst I could manage was a bronze medal. I'm an idiot.

Third match (First place match): Fought like crap against this guy. I had a bunch of kokas and a yuko (1/2 point). This guy landed a bunch of footsweeps and got me down, and started engaging in newaza. Dude tried to choke me out, even though it was explicitly forbidden. Ref stood us up, there was about 2 minutes left in the match and I decided to go for a Morote Seoi Nage, he blocked it perfectly and i was starting to gas out. I was tired as hell and felt pretty crappy. After my failed attempt at the Morote Seoi Nage, I noticed that he had an overhand grip on me and then at that point i had him where I wanted him. I wanted to go and give him a "ko-ouchi makikomi" (inner foot hook - and drive my body straight into him sending him flying over while i rolled up and look like a champ) I missed the chance. Damn it. I lifted up his sleeve and he was ready to counter the friggin Ippon Seoi Nage, it would have been the perfect time to give him a ko-uchi makikomi. I lost my chance. He threw me and planted me on my face. I lost first place :(

4th match (silver medal match): After having waited for close to 15 minutes for this fight, i was on the mat. I had faced an opponent that I had faced in my first tournament. He was the only person that i beat, so I felt fairly confident. I knew he was pretty damn tired and was beginning to gas. I scored a wazari (2 wazari's = ippon) on him immediately with an ouchi gari (inner hook reap) and i managed to score another yuko on him by countering one of his throws. This fight was pretty good because I had my friend scout out my opponent's matches. My friend said that this guy always goes for the Tomoe Nage (http://www.judoinfo.com/images/animations/blue/tomoenage.htm) I stuffed his attempt (quite nicely i might add). The referee started us in our opening position again and it was at that point that I noticed that he was tired as hell (goddamn it, so was I). I noticed that his feet were squared and i went for a morote gari (double leg) and i drove right through slamming him on his shoulders. Ippon for me, 2nd place medal for me!

It was great, I had a blast and am really stoked. I spoke with my opponents afterwards and they told me that they were wary of my Seoi Nage. I loved this competition. Next tournament in 2 months, hopefully I can get a first place finish in the next competition.

Cliff notes: got 2nd place in my judo tournament, ended with a 3-1 record today. Won first match via Ippon (morote seoi nage), Won second match via Ippon (Ippon Seoi Nage), Lost 1st place match by stupidity, Won 2nd place match via Ippon (morote gari - double leg takedown).

2. AK-47

AK-47 Banned

:coold: good job, judo sounds really fun

3. Sammo

Sammo New Member

do you only train in judo?

4. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

You sound talented. If you could get someone to film your fights at the next tourny I'm sure we'll al sackride your skills when you post it in teh cage :naughty:

2nd place is awesome for your second tourny. Good job.

5. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

great job buddy, if you can get videos of your matches that would be sweet

6. Kuet

Kuet New Member

good job man !!!! wish i wasnt sleepin , woulda came to see you kick ass !!

7. itr452

itr452 VTEC motherfucker, GOT ANY?

F you Kuet, you lazy schmuck. We need a new guy for me to throw around at our dojo, but you and your lazy ass (lives 3 blocks away from our dojo) doesn't come out to roll with me.

And damn it, i didn't get any videos of me fighting this time around. I was calm as hell this time around in the tournament. During my first tournament, i had to drive one and a half hours to the tournament, and I was in a shitty state of mind. I overtrained and put too much pressure on myself..... consequently, I sucked.

Hell, i'd encourage everybody to take Judo cuz it adds a different dimension to the BJJ game, and goddamn it, if i were a bit more bling bling, i'd definately go learn BJJ. I only train in Judo cuz honestly, i'm too big of a pussy to go to an MMA gym.