GUN I changed my mind..

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by mrbill, Apr 13, 2006.

1. mrbill

mrbill New Member

Last week at Sportsman's Warehouse, I put my name on the waiting list(I was the only one) for a Savage 12FV in 204 ruger. They had a stainless in stock, but I have a black scope I want to put on it and didn't think it'd look right. Only problem is the synthetic Savage stocks suck donkey penis imo. So I figured I'd swap out the stock. Well, the only stock I found that I like would have made the total gun price for the 12FV more than the stainless model they had. http://www.savagearms.com/12Varminter.htm and after looking at pics online, the black scope on the stainless gun doesn't look all that bad. Soooo, tomorrow afternoon I'm going to go back and get the stainless and mount my black scope on it. I figure nicer gun, lower total price than buying the plastic stock and replacing it and no waiting. The scope I have isn't a varmint scope, so what I'm gonna do is save up and some time in the future get a silver/stainless target/varmint scope for long range duty. Anyhow, I know what pic whores we all are, so here are a few of the scope alone. I bought it brand new a few years ago but have never mounted it to anything. It's a Leupold Gold VXII 3-9x50. And to answer the question before it's asked, I paid $350 for it. The gun that's going to break it's cherry is $620 before tax. Pics of gun with scope mounted will be forthcoming, but I'll start another thread for that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. itchiban

itchiban New Member

So does the stainless model come with a wood stock? I thought all savages had synths. :o

Anyway, congrats. .204 is sexy. :naughty:

edit: Oops I just saw the link in the post. Nice rifle. :bigthumb:

3. mrbill

mrbill New Member

yep, wood stock. midway has a couple savage factory wood stocks for the short action/heavy barrel but they want $200 for one. that plus the price of shipping and cost of gun with plastic would be more than just buying the stainless(whose heavy barrel is also fluted) and i won't have to worry about getting rid of the crappy plastic stock. i know it doesn't affect how the gun shoots, but i've handled some of their plastic stocked rifles(even used my buddies .243 to kill a deer this year) and the stocks just look and feel cheap and crappy.

yeah, the more i read on it, the more i like it for varmint/small game.