GUN I ccw'd for the first time today and don't like my paddle holster, holster for ccw?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by thomor25, Apr 18, 2007.

1. thomor25

thomor25 I make money online....

I'm a big guy at 310 tho I don't look it cause I carry it well but I was using my paddle holster i got with my gun and picked up my permit and carried today for the first time to the store to get some litter and shit for the kittahs.

I had it on my left hip and when I sat down in the car the hard paddle part was pushing againt my thigh. So i went into the bathroom at the store and switched it to my right side ( i'm right handed by the way) and it started hanging kinda low but I got used to it. So i got my stuff and went to the car and when i sat in the car the grip was sitting directly on my seatbelt thing that you stick the seatbelt into.

Those of you that are bigger what do you reccomend for a ccw holster? I have a 1911 combat commander.

2. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

Two things. Quality holster and paddle don't usually go in the same sentence, albeit with few exceptions. If the plastic paddle isn't following your body's contours, I'd look into a leather one, such as the Corporal Punishment from Blue Line Leather. Leather is far more accomodating than plastic.

Secondly, a good belt makes a HELL of a difference, especially with something like a heavy steel 1911.

Aker B21 is the best value, but something from the Beltman, Sparks, or any other quality belt will make a lot of difference.

Finding the right holster is like finding the Grail, it's a lifelong search for a lot of people.

Edit: While you're here, can you tell me what the hell is growing on my live plants?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2007
  3. thomor25

thomor25 I make money online....

4. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

Dammit.

Smartcarry is for DEEP concealment, as in, if someone had a whiff of you carrying, it's a major deal type of carry.

Draw is awkward, at best, but a lot of people use it.

For my money, IWB can't be beat.

See the Holsters, Illustrated thread I made a while back for a good idea of holster choices.

5. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

6. Gimik

Gimik New Member

I have the CTAC, and I can tell you it's not so comfortable while sitting. oddly enough, as I've lost weight, it's less my gut that it's hurting and more my hip.

Any hip holster in a car is going to be akward. A lot of us have a holster just for the car (shoved between the seats or actually installed in the car somewhere) so we can take it out of our belt holster and have it more accessable.

That's about the only real holster I have experience with though - still waiting on a PCH and VM2 which should be nice.

7. Furner

Furner New Member

I have the CTAC, it isnt that bad. The more towards the front you wear it, the more uncomfortable it is. I wear it af 4-oclock and it is really nice. But I am looking into some leather for 3-oclock carry.

8. Gimik

Gimik New Member

at 4 o-clock though it prints pretty bad (at least for me).

9. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

I just bought an Answer from Tucker. Won't arrive for a while but everything I've read says it's the most comfortable out there.

Ref: www.tuckergunleather.com

10. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

Try a pancake type holster with FBI cant or leather IWB with FBI cant

11. either a leather IWB or a kydex OWB

12. Gimik

Gimik New Member

This is very true. I love the FBI cant.