A&P I caved & bought an XT...

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by skolen, Apr 14, 2007.

1. skolen

skolen Guest

I've been wanting to get back into photography for a while and lurking in here makes me itch even more. I was never a professional photographer, but more so an intermediate who was only limited by the available equipment.

My first experience with photography was with my dads old SLR 35mm Fujifilm model. Years later while working at CompUSA I grabbed a Sony DSC-F55 (2.1mp) during an employee clearance sale ($800 at the time for $80). Camera was very limited feature wise, but took excellent photos because it was one of the few at the time to have an actual glass lens. I still have it, but it's long since worn out and the photos it takes have lots of noise in them.

For a year or so I worked at a company called Exoticar as the graphic designer. One of my requirements was to photograph all the new models that come in for the catalogue & website. I forget the model, but it was a DSLR Fujifilm ~6mp and was my first experience with a DSLR and a "studio" setup. Not happy with the pictures I was getting I poured through the manual and after all my adjustments I was taking some shots leagues above anything they ever saw. So much so that they were getting calls about the images in the catalogue being so much better than before from both customers and the printer we used.

Since then I've wanted one and had planned on getting one but the owner screwed me out of $400 in work and I had left. Years later here I am saying "fuck it" and went to BestBuy to grab one. I know there are better deals, but I have a clean BB card and it doesn't bother me.

So no pictures right now. I'm reading the manual and the battery is charging. Maybe I'll snap a few noob shots later.

2. Nullius

Nullius New Member

welcome, first tip: learn to use the histogram, it'll do wonders for your shots
    second tip: everything needs more lens flare

3. Traitor

Traitor New Member

I got three words for you.

Get better glass.

That is all.

4. Traitor

Traitor New Member

p.s.

Welcome to the OTAP/DSLR crew :bowdown: . Now go outside and snap some pictures for the contest :cool:

5. skolen

skolen Guest

Oh I'm well aware how craptastic the throw-in glass is because of this place. But from my point of view, I'm just starting out, learning settings and getting a feel for it. So investing in a $200 lens is down the road.

Battery finished charging so I'm playing w/some settings. I kinda like how this came out, even with the blur of him turning his head. He always has these sad eyes about him.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2007
  6. Traitor

Traitor New Member

:hsugh: I wish lenses were this cheap

Cute kittah though, does the XT come with canons software to sharpen and such?

7. skolen

skolen Guest

It did, even versions for the Mac. I'm using CS3 tho.

I ment used lenses too. :(

8. Traitor

Traitor New Member

Even used they are way up there. :wtc:

9. Changed

Changed Guest

expect to spend thousands more

10. ok_computer

ok_computer OT Supporter

$200 lenses :)

11. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

:hsugh:

not everyone spends thousands to get good pictures.

12. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

$200 lens? whats that :rofl:

I'd look into at least getting the 50mm 1.8 it can be had for about $65 and its a pretty good lens for the price...I like the prime lens better than the canon kit lens :hs:

13. dano

dano OT Supporter

Welcome to the DSLR crew!

Now find a new job because you're about to go broke.

14. skolen

skolen Guest

Funny you mention that. I was approached at work about taking some presentable photos of the signs we've done (I'm a designer at a custom sign shop). Boss has a 20D but keeps forgetting to get it to me so I could pratice on despite me bugging him for months.

So now I got my own and should have it paid off before the end of Summer. Nothing like getting paid to drive around and shoot. :bigthumb:

15. Changed

Changed Guest

does a bear shit in the woods?

16. Tedrzz

Tedrzz New Member

yep

17. skolen

skolen Guest

I forgot to grab the tripod from my parents house friday and I'm kicking myself cause most of my stuff is coming out blurry from the camera not being steady.

Couple more today. Haven't gone outside cause it's pouring out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Nothing special, or great. Just playing with random settings.

I was correcting in Aperture just to try it out. I'm much faster & better in PS.