i cant tell if my system came reinstalled with leopard or not?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by severedties, Nov 29, 2007.

1. severedties

severedties OT Supporter

well, i just made a thread before talking about how i bought a 24'' imac. it is great so far and i am learning lots. i have one major problem though. the machine came with the leopard disk, and was supposed to be preinstalled but now i am having doubts. when i go to about this mac it says i have software Mac OS X version 10.4.11, is that the same as 10.5? The reason i ask is because my dock and desktop did not come looking like the default leopard one, but more like my friends who has the older software. i am having a difficult time using the new stacks feature, along with the new finder (with the itunes look) along with bootcamp which should be installed, and a few other programs that should have come installed. when i type the name of the program in the upper right spotlight, it doest really find anything on the programs listed above. help :hsd::hsd:

edit: so now that i have figured out that my system was not preinstalled with Leopard, what do i do. I am in the the process of transferring over 30 gigs of files to this mac from my dell laptop, not to mention all the software i have already put in this system. will i have to reformat the hard drive when installing leopard, thus loosing all the stuff i am currently doing or have already done? I have read that people who install leopard are having problems with crashing and what not, is there anything i should or should not do when installing? thanks again, and sorry for all my questions :o

Last edited: Nov 29, 2007
  2. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

click the apple on the top left part of the screen, click "about this mac"

what version does it say is installed.

some macs that were purchased right after the leopard release came with 10.4 installed, but they gave you a free leopard disk with the computer that you have to install yourself. this is likely what happened to you.

3. severedties

severedties OT Supporter

ya that is what happened :wtc::wtc::wtc:

4. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

just install it - it takes an hour, max

5. Pitt

Pitt 1-1-11 — Never Forget OT Supporter

cancel transfer

install leopard with erase and install, not upgrade or archive

restart transfer

I know that sucks, but you're better off :hsd:

6. DouggieJ

DouggieJ OT Supporter

I think PittHockey is right. I did the upgrade install and haven't had any problems, but if you've only had the computer a few days, you can't have done too much with it and you'll probably be better off with a clean installation.

7. Blair

Blair New Member

30 gigs isnt that much at all. just do a fresh install. that way you can not install the languages and printer packs.

8. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

upgrade works fine if you have a ton of stuff there, but since you're basically on a fresh system, just format and install...

during the installation hit customize or whatever it's called and uncheck the printers and the language packs, that'll save about 20 minutes of installation time and about 5 gigs of space.

9. severedties

severedties OT Supporter

Thanks for the tips....i will be doing the install tonight