I cant surf web while bittorent is on

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by NPT, Sep 18, 2006.

1. NPT

NPT Guest

Bitspirit, lynksys WRT54GL with DD-WRT. 3Mb/768kb. limit set in bitspirt = 250kB/60kB
    anyone know how to fix it?

2. 3l_Chupacabra

3l_Chupacabra New Member

You can't surf at all or it's just too slow?

Either way, get utorrent instead. It uses FAR fewer system resources than other torrent clients.

http://www.utorrent.com/

3. Supernaut

Supernaut New Member

Limit concurrent connections.

4. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

I set my upload speed to 10kB when I'm using the computer (it goes full-tilt on off-hours). The upload speed is what is killing you.

5. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

I get this problem using utorrent. When I first open Utorrent or open a new torrent my internet connection (except for utorrent) wont work for about 3-6 minutes. Then its fine so who knows.

6. negative zero

negative zero New Member

SAme problem here. I'm using utorrent and I throttle the upload during hours that I use the pc and have it maxed out the rest of the time.

7. tyrionlannister

tyrionlannister New Member

8. Xyroquell

Xyroquell New Member

Your router probably performs NAT so it keeps track on the connections that you set up, so that it knows from which machine a request came so it can forward the answer it got back to the correct machine.

The table in which your router keeps track of those connections is limited. Once the table gets full, he is unable to store more information.

The power of Torrent (and other p2p networks) is that your download come from different locations at once. You can easilly set up 200 connections to different peers for downloading an DVD-9 image.

The problem is that every connection takes up one entry of the NAT-table. And like I said, full is full! So Bittorrent is not able to setup connections to other peers anymore (unless it frees other connections) and your webbrowser or other software isn't either.

Just give it a try, start MSN, AOL, Y!M or any other messenger before starting torrent. Let torrent run for a while and keep track on the total number of peers it connects to. Talk to some people on the messenger to check if everything works fine. (True, you are probably unable to send or receive files). Now disconnect your messenger, and reconnect it after a few seconds. Your torrent program will have one or two additional peers but your messenger fails to connect.

9. Funky Munky

Funky Munky Chronic Masturbator OT Supporter

Limit your upload speed way down.

Uploading kills my browsing, I have it right down to 5k/sec.

10. OniMinion

OniMinion ...recalls when this forum was actually about cars OT Supporter

You'll also want to make sure you don't have BitTorrent set to port 80