SRS I cant stop drinking

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by nemopie, Nov 21, 2004.

1. nemopie

nemopie OT Supporter

I starting drinking at parties and stuff like that. But i couldnt wake up in the morning so instead of drinking coffie i had a shot. I did that only on mondays then i did it every day then i bought a flask. It keeps getting worse and worse. I probaly could stop if i really tryed hard but i dont want to but i know i should. any sugestions?

2. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

that much? where did you hear that, just curious?

3. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

If you have a willingness to quit (even if you're not successful at trying to quit) then AA is right up your alley. Many people before you have felt similar... we don't want to quit in some ways, but we really know we need to... so our conscious is telling us to quit and our alcoholism is telling us to drink.

AA

4. nemopie

nemopie OT Supporter

I know i should quit cause i keep drinking more and more. yesterday I didnt do it and I felt like shit though. Not sick or anything but it made the day go by so much slower

5. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

Go to a meeting, www.aa.org - find a meeting in your area, or call them, Alcoholics Anonymous is in the phone book.

6. Private Pyle

Private Pyle Guest

If you have been drinking everyday for a long time, inform your doctor 1st that you are quitting, they may be able to give you something to take the edge of it.

I stopped drinking after 14days solid partying and started hallucinating, luckily i knew what was happening and knew they were just withdrawal effects.

7. Negative Ions

Negative Ions New Member

A few years ago I completely quit drinking after I had been having probably an 18 pack of beer a day. It sucked. I couldn't hardly sleep, I was shaking, and way sensitive to any sounds or other stimulation for about 2 weeks. I got over it and felt alot better. I've been drinking alot lately as I have no job so I just sit here bored all day. I'm going to quit again tommorow, but it shouldn't be a problem as I have gone several weeks without drinking and no side affects lately. Good luck.

8. anomaly

anomaly If you weren't around for the original HA.net spli

Sounds like you went through a decent case of withdrawl, one of the main signs of physical addiction. Good luck with quitting, I spent years 'quitting tomorrow'.

9. lescivic

lescivic OT Supporter

It's been 3 months today. Nov. 23rd got hit coming home. Cop came arrested me for dui and I spent the night in jail. I've since gone through the courts and took a plea of reckless w/o judication. Believe me it's expensive and not worth it. Realized that night in jail that alcohol was destroying me and I needed a big change in my life. A.A. really helped, it'll scare the crap out of you if you're having problems quiting.

10. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

"A.A. really helped," and will continue to help if you keep going, and continue working a program.

11. thurman15

thurman15 Blessed screaming Jesus on a whole-wheat goddamn c

AA helped me for a couple of weeks after attending just one meeting. If I had continued with meetings and the steps, I would be better off now. I never went to another after that and went right back to it, drinking everynight to get to sleep. I turn 31 today and think it's about time I found somewhere close to me to go to meetings since the one meeting I went to was about 60 miles from my house.

12. anomaly

There are meetings all over man.

13. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

Alcoholics Anonymous is in the phonebook, call them and ask where a meeting is in your area

14. anomaly

Hell, here in NOVA, they will send another person in recovery to come pick you up if you ask them to. That isn't really the case in most places in the country, there just happen to be 3,xxx meetings a week here, so there are tons of people in recovery.

15. selfpollution

selfpollution New Member

AA makes it harder for me to not drink. It's all they ever talk about. It's like hanging out in a strip club and trying not to get a boner. If you are gonna quit, quit. It's the ambiguity about quitting that sends people to AA meetings.
    People who quit drinking and stay quit do it on their own, more often than not.
    You are not powerless and you don't have a disease. You are not an "addict" you are a human being. These are important things that I need to remind myself. I had a drinking problem, quit for 2 months then started going to AA. It made my "alcoholism" so much worse. It is taking a lot of hard work and time to un brainwash myself, but i think that I can do it. Read "Diseasing of America" by Stanton Peele. I think that book saved my life.

16. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

You must have went to some shitty meetings. At the meetings I go to, we talk about working through life problems clean, not about using drugs and drinking. I don't know where you heard that most people who quit drinking and stay do it on their own, this simply isn't true.

I am powerless over my disease, however I am responsible for my recovery. I am an addict and a human being. If you "had a drinking problem," then you still have a drinking problem. If you have a few drinks, most likely you will go right back into active alcoholism. Let me ask you this, did you work the steps? The program of AA is in the steps, not in the meetings. Meetings are just a good way to learn about the program, and a way to fellowship with other alcoholics. Did you read the literature? Did you understand it? How long were you drinking for, do you think you're going to recover, and life will instantly become better in 2 months? Were you sober during that time? You have to be sober for the program to work, you also have to give it a chance.

17. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

No, no they don't.

Membership in AA is a self-selected process, no? As such, those who admit powerlessness are doing so with rational choices, no? If they are not rational choices, why would they make them? Has alcohol convoluted their thinking? I thought these people were human beings and perfect and disease-free and capable of rational thought! Your entire post falls apart when looked at. Your logic in and of itself is completely erroneous. Think before posting garbage in here. Consider it a warning.