MMA i can't stand the current "rules" for weight divisions

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by TigreTek, Jul 10, 2007.

1. TigreTek

TigreTek omega member OT Supporter

i think it's bullshit watching guys like sherk, hughes, franklin (and i like franklin :hs:), tito and others come in to a fight 10-15% heavier than the fight weight.

this should be a contest of skill and athleticism, not who can cheat the weight system well enough to enjoy a grotesque size advantage over his opponent.

then again, i realize that some guys are sort of "between" weights and are kinda fucked.

:dunno:

edit: i have to admit that 15%, while possible, is really fucking high. i still stand by my 10% estimate.

edit v2: fuck you all. i was right about sherk.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2007
  2. Joe Riggs is the most dominant 170 of all time.

3. joechunkybutt2

joechunkybutt2 New Member

no don't try to justify the bullshit. you're right. its stupid that its a cutting contest. I think they do it so that if someone doesn't make weight they still have time to find a replacement if needed? Because otherwise they could do weigh ins like 1 hr before the event.

But for people who are between weights? boo-hoo...either pack on some muscle and train at that weight or burn off some fat and go to a lower class. Atleast thats my opinion coming from someone with the name joechunkybutt and being an keyboard warrior.

4. joechunkybutt2

joechunkybutt2 New Member

did he get banned or did he just stop posting here?

5. Optamix

Optamix New Member

I'm kinda in between weights. I walk around at 165. 170 is just to big for me but I can make the cut to 155. It does put me in as a larger 155 guy though. :dunno: I'm fine with the rules the way they are.

6. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

I agree, but your math is fucking terrible.

I have always said they need to do weigh ins the day of the fight.

7. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

yeah, but you could easily walk at 155 - 160 then trim up 5 pounds for a "day of" weigh in.

oh, on that note, i think some states have been considering doing mandatory dated weight checks or somethign liek that. the fighter would have to be a certain weight by a certain date, as to avoid them cutting huge water weight the last day and then putting it all right back on before the fight.

8. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

I'd say to do the weigh-ins the day of the fight. That way if a guy wants to come in WAY over the weight limit and hope for a huge size advantage, that sed advantage will be at the cost of having less energy for the fight....

9. Weigh-ins the day of the fight are dangerous because fighters will still dehydrate themselves and then get punched in the head = brain damage.

The easiest solution is weighing the day before, and then right before, and only allowing them to gain XX pounds/percent back. Honestly though, I don't think it's a problem. If you're a serious fighter, you'll find your correct weight class. If you don't bother cutting (Kondo, Henderson) you'll get man-handled by bigger guys until you go to that right division, but if you're good, you'll still get wins because of your skills (Mike Swick)

10. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

so in other words do weigh ins the day of and raise the weight limit on the division? makes no sense.

11. FlyingNun

FlyingNun Active Member

yeah it's annoying...i think about that stuff a lot...like in the Tito vs Rashad fight i kept thinking how much better Rashad would be at 185....Rogan said that Rashad was weighing under 205 that week...Tito was huge compared to rashad

12. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

that is the stupidest fucking thing I have ever read

13. sorry, that was meant to be a reply to flyingNun's comment, not yours.

14. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

Anderson silva is not small, he fights at around 195, i wuld say that is average. Same with Hendo.

15. he held the shooto 167lb belt :dunno: he's way smaller than Okami or Franklin

16. Optamix

Optamix New Member

I'm trim at 165, I have like 3% body fat as it is. To make 155 a week out I stop eating to get all food weight out of my system. That gets me to 161-ish. Then I dehydrate down to 156. I can't walk at 160 with out not eating.

17. Really, I think the current system is working fine. The fights are competitive, skillful, and exciting. Nobody is getting hurt or having serious health problems (that I know of) from their weight cutting, and even the bigger guys are getting hosed by skillful fighters.

18. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

no way, he's way smaller than the two biggest guys in the division? :eek3:

19. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

isn't 3% incredibly unhealthy to sustain for more than a week?

I knwo what you mean though, and if you wanted to move up you would be screwed because you probably would be constantly fighting to keep the weight on.

agreed. the only issue i see is sherk. I just see him as being the largest deviation in size from actual weigh in weight.

20. I don't think sherk is that enormous, weight-wise. He's just a fireplug and incredibly strong on top of being fairly big.

21. TigreTek

rashad is fucked. he's apparently a natural 205.

is he really going to cut 20 lbs?

edit: 20 lbs, not 25

Last edited: Jul 10, 2007
  22. TigreTek

my math is terrible?

sherk fights at "155" walks in at, what, about 170-175

.10 x 155 = 15.5
    15.5 + 155 = 170.5

.15 x 155 = 23.25
    23.25 + 155 = 178.25

given that i think he's fighting at 175 or so. looks like my math is dead on.

rich franklin fights at 185 (right?)

.10 x 185 = 18.5
    18.5 + 180 = 198.5

looks about right to me. (so yeah, the 15% part doesn't work too well with the higher classes. sue me)

23. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

Douche Nozzle, dont take it personally. YOu are dumb. Not one fighter I can think of comes in close to 15% over the limit. Franklin is the highest and he just barely gets in at 10% over.

And no way possible that SHerk fights at 175, You tyhink little Sherk can cut the same quantity of weight that Franklin does? you are off your fucking rocker.

24. Riggs stepped into the ring at 202 for one of his 170lb fights.

25. TigreTek

i need to go back and look at pics of sherk at 170 but i think he's damn near it.