SRS I can't seem to have a good time without smoking pot

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Alternative, May 26, 2005.

1. Alternative

Alternative Guest

I can survive without pot without a problem, but whenever I smoke it, I have alot more fun in life. I am more motivated to do things, im more motivated to do something with my life, etc.

When im not smoking pot, I get lazy and dont really want to do anything.

I want to snap out of this. I used to be energetic all the time

2. beanolo

beanolo It does a body good!!!1

It's all in your mind. That's the exact opposite of how you should be stoned. Honestly, this is the first time I've ever heard of someone actually getting motivated to do things after smoking.

If you keep telling yourself this, you're gonna keep smoking because you think thats the only way you're gonna get things done. You have to tell yourself the opposite, that I'll be more motivated sober, and that pot is clouding my thoughts. You gotta just take a break off of it for awhile, it sounds like you've become too dependant on it.

3. teo

teo . => ? => !

Been there, done that. The key is in your mindset.

The fun things you're doing right now are all while you're high, so you associate fun with high. The solution for me was simple - do fun things when you're not high. If you can't think of anything, make a list when you're high, then commit to doing some of those thing when you're not.

Physical activity also helps. More active = less motivation to smoke. Go for a hike, a run, get in the gym if that's what you like... I'd also recommend taking a forced break from the weed to help foster your new habits.

4. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

how long are you quitting for?

5. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

404 Addiction found

6. Mars Princess

Mars Princess They hatin'

agreed. Spend some time unsober. Give your time some head to clear. Living life in a total haze is not always good. Marijuana can give you the mindset to focus, but you can easily focus too much and the benefit is then reduced to a handicap.

The pot can contribute to you being lazy, but you are lazy because you are lazy. Change your attitude and just take some action, any action. When you give your lungs and mind a break, you might find you are able to endure more and extend yourself more.. :)

7. RotiEatter

RotiEatter New Member

These people are idiots.

Smoke pot man, what does it matter? If you are more productive when you are high whats the problem?

If you want to snap out of it, you won't. Marijuana isn't a big deal, you're just weak.

8. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Actually, marijuana is an addictive substance, and if you "have" to have it all the time... you are habituated. Its better to be free and clear of a substance than chained to it. So mellow out. Probably though, he can't just "cut back." He's habituated. I hesitate to say "addicted," because it isn't ruining his life... yet. It could becone an addiction.

Dude... get with the neurological times. The neural pathways to addiction for marijuana were found some 5 years ago. They're not as bad as say, heroin... but marijuana is physically addictive. End of story.

9. haha

haha Guest

Many potheads will defend the position of marijuana, claiming it's not addictive. They are wrong. It is addictive, maybe not physically, but in your case, it seems to be mentally addictive.

After you finish the last of your stash, don't purchase another one for awhile. Start off slow. Only smoke if it's offered to you. Then get to the point where you'll only do it once a week or so. Eventually, you'll quit.

10. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Marijuana has been proven, without a doubt, to be physically addictive.

11. Alternative

Alternative Guest

Actually I think my problem is that I can't stay focused unless I smoke pot. When im not high, I can't seem to pay close attention to anything.

12. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Self medication for underlying mental disorder.

See a psychologist. Maybe you have ADHD? Just as likely, you're simply addicted, so of course you can't focus unless your mind has its fix. Kinda like nicotine addiction.

13. civicmon

civicmon got all my game from the streets of california.

pot provides more of a focus for cluttered ADHD minds.

talk to your doc/psychologist about this - while they'll tell you the obvious to stop smoking, see if they can possibly link it to a disorder that may be causing the draw..

weed isn't physically addicting (ie the body doesn't need it, like heroin) but what it is is mentally addicting - that is, when the brain gets used to working with it, the user often can't relate to anything else w/o it, which is the situation you're seeing.

14. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

GUYS. SCIENCE OF THE BRAIN. NEW RESEARCH AS OF SEVERAL YEARS AGO. THE FACTS CHANGED.

MARIJUANA IS:

PHYSICALLY ADDICTIVE

Seriously. Memorize it. Its not heroin, because it has a different pathway of addiction, but it is physically addictive.

Here's 4 summaries of studies, and commentary that back me up:

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn75
    http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=mg16822613.200
    http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn2384
    http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn4954

If you don't like new scientist, then search Pubmed. This is old news.

Lets all consider ourselves more educated about marijuana. Sorry to be a bit of a repetitive dick, but smart people really ought to know this. Marijuana is physically addictive.