GUN I can't make a decision on a frigging rifle

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by PeteDMeat, Mar 25, 2009.

?

So which would you buy?

1. M1a

58.3%
  2. PTR-91

16.7%
  3. Sig 556

25.0%
  1. PeteDMeat

PeteDMeat The Knuckleball OT Supporter

So I've been trying to decide on a rifle to buy and can't make a decision. All my shooting friends havn't been a lick of help so I'm turning to WMD.

My initial thought was to buy a M1a/M14, but I've been searching for a month and nobody has one in stock or can order me one. One gun store told me they MIGHT have one in two weeks, but they don't know if they will or which model they'll get. I've talked to em a bit and figured I can walk out the door with one for about $1550 or so if they get one of the SOCOM's in. That's a big if.

While there talking with them I was browsing through their used gun racks and came upon a pair of lightly used PTR-91's, both at about $700 or so. I've been entertained by these things for a while and the price isn't bad.

Then I happened to go down to the Indy 1500 Gun Show this past weekend and noticed a few Sig 556s and was kinda intrigued as I've never seen one at the range before. So I handled it and kinda sorta fell in love. But I'm not really that huge a fan of the 5.56 round based on a billion silly notions and discussions with friends. But I can walk out w/ the gun for about $1200 and probably be happy.

This gun is basically for "something different" to shoot other than the handgun, shotgun or bolt gun since Indiana is retarded about what you can hunt deer with. I'm probably going to end up putting a scope on the M1a or the PTR if I buy them and try to get damn accurate in that 100-200m range (which is about all we have up here in NWI). If I buy the sig, I'll just live with the stock optical sight it comes with.

So yeah. Thoughts? Comments? Anyone have any experience with all these guns and feel like sharing?

ib tl;dr
    ibbuyanak/ar

2. zumin3k

zumin3k New Member

A PTR-91 for $700? I'd be ALL over it.

3. sp00n155

sp00n155 You underestimate the insignificance of my penis OT Supporter

M1a, .308 is fucking expensive and HK designed the G3 (PTR91) with total destruction of brass in mind apparently.

4. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

i'd love a sig 556

5. Is there a reason you don't want an AR? The 556 is nothing more than an expensive, proprietary, nose heavy AR.

6. PeteDMeat

If I really want to shoot an AR, I have three friends who own them who I can grab em from. Same with the AK. Just gotta pay for my own brass unless they are in a "hey! let's waste this crap I bought!" mood. *edit* Plus I kinda <3 Sig. My 226 is a great great great handgun.

What do you mean the G3 (PTR) chews brass? I'm just starting to learn how to reload from one of the old guys I shoot with, so I'm planning on reloading eventually for whatever I get.

You do realize the M1a is .308, right? I wasn't sure by your comment.

7. Iceburn

Iceburn Made in the USA

gas piston, better ergonomics, dont have to buy aftermarket rails or buis, looks baller

8. phoenixTX

phoenixTX New Member

He meant go for the M1A. Even though it and the PTR91 are both .308, at least you can reload the brass from the M1A since it's not chewed up.

9. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

What he's saying is the G3 which the PTR91 is based on, makes the brass un-reloadable while the M1A does not.

10. Floyd91

Floyd91 Active Member

Buy both ptr's and sell for 300+ profit each..

11. PeteDMeat

Though tempting, sounds like more a hassle then I want to deal with (S+H, $50 transfer on my end, blah blah blah blah)

The fact that the PTR/G3 flutes the brass like I saw some of the pictures show is disappointing. I think that's off the table just because I want to start reloading.

Well, here's to hoping I can find an M1a/M14. I walked into a local Cabella's over the weekend just to see if maybe they had one or could order me one.
    Me (to guy behind gun counter): Hi, you guys are a Springfield Armory dealer, right?
    Him: Yep! What pistol do you want to see?
    Me: I'm actually interested in one of their rifles, the M14 or M1a.
    Him (taking a step back from the counter): Is that like an assult rifle?
    Me: Well, yeah, kinda.
    Him (While turning his back to me and walking away): We don't really deal with those.

I was PISSED. Especially since they had 3 AR's in the "gun room".

12. The M1 isn't really an assault rifle.

13. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

prefer M14 platform out of the choices, but would take the ptr over the springfield m1a's.

14. PeteDMeat

I know. It's a battle rifle. I was trying to make a purchase and didn't expect a conversation like that from a guy behind the gun counter.

15. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

16. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

No FAL or AR10 for homey?

17. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

Sig556 Classic

18. PeteDMeat

I'd be fine with adding the FAL to my "maybe" list as well as the AR10 (though it's low on said list and I'd have to get a REALLY good deal).

I'm kinda out there looking for a good deal on a gun, especially if it's not an M1a/M14 platform.

I think I'd be content with just about anything on this list as long as it's reliable and doesn't give me issues any time I take it out shooting. I know I won't get consensus out of everyone because it's a gun. There are a million ways to build the things and people have weird preferences (Like my general "meh" towards AR & AK based offerings). I just need thoughts & opinions.

19. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

If you go springfield try to find an older used one from when they were still using USGI parts.. Also keep in mind nothing is cheap when it comes to m1a/m14's, $100 for a brake/FH, minimum $200 for a halfway decent quality scope mount, etc.

20. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I know a lot of people like the M1A but they really don't scope that well. The kind of the 308's is the AR-10.

21. PeteDMeat

I have someone checking if his buddy still has any of the ones he bought back before the AWB.

I know they are pricier in every aspect, but I'd pay the premium for the m1a/m14 platform. It's what I want, but I've been looking for a month now and havn't put my hands on a single one.

Any OTHER gun I'd be willing to do if I could find a good deal on it. And I'm doing some mental math based on how much I like the gun vs. how good a deal I'd be getting.