I cant get my powerbook to connect wireless w/ WEP key

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Pineapple Devil, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

it connects fine but when i require it to have a wep key it says there was an error in connecting to "linksys". i've tried copying and pasting and i'm sure i'm typing it in correctly. any ideas?

router: linksys 802.11b

2. diranged

diranged New Member

WEP keys in OS X are a little strange. I find that sometimes the "text" version of the key works just fine, and other times I have to enter in the "binary" version -- like: 012395959312340. Its also important that you select 40bit, or 128bit accordingly.

If its your own router @ home, I suggest not using WEP keys because they are slow and VERY crackable. Use MAC address filtering -- it will save you a lot of headaches.

3. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

ok i'm dumb when it comes to wireless so how do i use a mac address filter? does that basically keep everyone off the router that doesnt have a specific router?

4. Rev. Johnny Vegas

Rev. Johnny Vegas Rectal Ventriloquist

A MAC address is a unique hexadecimal address assigned to all ethernet devices, such as network cards and 802.11a/b/g adapters. Technically no two devices have the same MAC address (in practice this is not necessarily true). MAC stands for Media Access Control.

MAC address filtering (and other types of filtering like access lists) typically works in two ways - "DENY ALL EXCEPT" and "PERMIT ALL EXCEPT".

Deny All means that the device (router, wireless access point, etc.) will deny all devices attempting to connect except ones listed in a table.

Permit All means that the device will allow all connections except those from a listed devices.

If you're going to use MAC filtering you want to use Deny All and make sure that any devices you want to connect are listed (such as your laptop, your girlfriend's, etc.).

Also, since we're on the subject of 802.11 security, and you've had problems with setting up WEP, try to set up WPA. WEP is still useful but it has problems and is dated. WPA is more recent standard that is quite a bit more secure than WEP and much easier to setup because the WPA Shared Key is entered in plain english. You might need to upgrade the firmware on your router if its more than a year old, but your Powerbook definitely supports WPA.

WEP stands for Wired Equivalent Protection and is intended to only provide protection equivalent to the security provided by having a wired network (i.e. you have to simply gain access to the premise), which isn't very secure. WEP can be brute forced if a person can intercept enough packets (we're talking in the thousands). WPA is a newer standard that is significantly more secure than WEP; WPA stands for WiFi Protected Access. In its most secure form, i.e. working with a RADIUS server, WPA is very secure.

My standard recommendations for all WLANs:

Turn on WPA.
    Turn off SSID broadcast.
    Turn on MAC filtering using Deny All Except.

5. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

...and change the SSID to something random.

6. Rev. Johnny Vegas

Is "HowBoutDemApples" random enough?? :eek3:

7. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

nah. throw some numbers in the mix too. :)

8. jackjohnson

jackjohnson simple as something nobody knows OT Supporter

for macs make sure you use the first key assigned in your router. if you use the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc it simply will not work

9. Cyrax

Cyrax Guest

Just turn off WEP

10. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

:rolleyes:

11. asshole

asshole dont eat yellow snow! OT Supporter

dont turn off wep. to use airport on a powerbook or ibook with a linksys router you need to enter the code in when connecting and be sure to select 128bit hex and it should work. If you need help PM or aim me at bluews6

12. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

yeah i had to change the wireless security from wep password to wep 40/128-bit hex before it would accept it

13. Rev. Johnny Vegas

Why are you using WEP at all?? Use WPA.

14. inamorata

inamorata New Member

linksys routers have given me trouble in the past for no reasons sometimes

i prefer my goood ol express :wiggle: