I can't get my monitor to display the right resolution

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by bs2100, Jun 26, 2009.

1. bs2100

bs2100 New Member

I just built a new computer and since my old monitor crapped out and all I had left was a 19" I got a 22" for my off monitor (usually only for chat windows, vent, and other stuff to compare on my main monitor). I got a Hanns.G Hi221 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254035) from newegg and figured the reviews were all positive and I knew it wasn't a top of the line monitor, but I just need it for web browsing and playing movies while I work.

Now newegg and hanns.g both say that the monitor can handle 1680x1050, so I got to set that as the resolution and it doesn't even really show up. It'll be on for like 1 or 2 seconds tops, then go black for 5-10 seconds. Right now I have it at 1400x1050 and it's working fine (except for the distortion if I have it set to fit to screen or the huge black bars on the side if I have it naturally) but anything higher than that and it starts to go in and out like I described earlier.

I tried installing drivers for the monitor on the cd that came with it and also the ones from the hanns.g website and I just put this computer together and got the latest video drivers from nvidia. I even tried using it on my old computer that ran xp and it had the same exact problem.

My new computer is an E8500 3.16ghz, gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P, and EVGA GTX 275.

This is driving me crazy because I've seen people say that the resolution's run fine on their computers running linux, xp, and vista and I can't even get it to run in the right aspect ratio, let alone the native resolution and the only things I could find on other people having this problem were that they either didn't even know how to change resolutions or their video card couldn't even handle 1680x1050.

Is this something that I can fix or did I just get a bad monitor and I need to get a replacement from newegg?

2. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

maybe wrong Hz? try to change that before changing resolution? your monitor handles 50/60Hz and maybe your graphics are set to 75Hz?

good luck.

3. bs2100

bs2100 New Member

In the windows control panel there's not even a choice of Hz. But when I go to the nvidia control panel I can choose but it's still a very limited choice. At 1680x1050 I can only do 59 or 60 Hz and neither work.

I'll check my video card settings though to make sure that it's not set to something different anywhere.