COMIC I can't get into superhero comics :o

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Nader_D, Aug 30, 2007.

1. Nader_D

Nader_D HAHAHEHHUH ---- POOOHhHhHHCHhh! OT Supporter

I don't know what it is. I can do the good batman/superman stories but as for the 10's of different batmans every month i cant stand them :o Certain writers / artists get me but for the most part i find them boring.

I'm a fan of the more modern/noire books. 100 bullets, walking dead, preacher, dmz, a lot of the non-super hero stuff i gobble up.

So my question is what are some good superhero stories i can read that wont bore the fuck out of me. Also i am sorta new to comics...this will be my second year anniversary which means im going to be ordering a large amount of trades :hs:

2. Hercules Antigua

Hercules Antigua OT Supporter

Check out Invincible, it's by the same guy who writes The Walking Dead

3. ToLEEdo

ToLEEdo New Member

Try picking up Ex-Machina by Brian K Vaughan he also writes Y the Last Man which is great. EM isn't completely super hero and Y isn't at all. Amazing books though.

4. void

void oh yeah?

second on ex-machina, it has a semi-superhero edge to it. all the super heroics are past tense....since said superhero (the only superhero ever heard of in this universe) was elected mayor of new york in the independant party.

it's really great, not so much superhero, but he uses his experience dealing with issues now in contrast to what he'd do when he was the great machine.

and he can still communicate with machines, which kicks ass :bigthumb:

5. void

void oh yeah?

and you live on the left side of comics, which i'm almost 100% a part of. the marvel books i like are the one's i grew up on as a kid. pretty much the x-men.

you'd dig astonishing x-men...since it's impossible not to like it (and lateness isn't an issue with you since the book is two issues away from wrapping up).

you probably also dig Powers. it was brian bendis' first book, kinda nior-ish superhero book from the eyes of a couple detectives who run the task force that deals with superhuman affairs (and superheroes are outlawed in this united states, the superheroes went into hiding or retired and the supervillian just started running shit).

and if you dig the powers banter, you'll find his marvel stuff pretty funny; new avengers, mighty avengers, etc...

if that's too much for you, then i've got two words for you...The Ultimates. If you haven't read them, you are commiting a crime against yourself.

you're on the right track with DMZ, TWD, and preacher, but please tell me that you're reading Criminal, Invincible, and Fables. If you're not, then you should.

6. Hercules Antigua

Hercules Antigua OT Supporter

:werd:to Fables

7. Macgyver

Macgyver Deep beneath the rolling waves...

It can't be said enough, The Ultimates is fucking bad-ass. These are what got me into comics hard-core in the first place. (Wikipedia actually got me reading comics though, lol..)

8. Bobbot

Bobbot Safer than a Doombot!

I think the main problem for people being unable to get into superhero comics (aside from inability) is lack of love. To gain that love, you need to know the mythos. So, to get into superhero comics, you need to have a gateway, and you must love it.

Gateways for Marvel are X-Men and Spider-Man. It's really hard for me to say how to get into Marvel via X-Men because I haven't done so myself. However, I would recommend listening to void about Astonishing X-Men.
    Spider-Man has an easy mythos to learn; I'd recommend reading Spider-Man: Blue to learn just what it is that makes him tick.
    Also, any Ultimate title is good for the newcomer since they're starting the myths over again, in a sense. Read the first issues of U. Spider-Man, X-Men, Fantastic Four, or the Ultimates. HIGHLY recommend the Ultimates. They'll get you hooked on the Avengers.

For the DC fare, Batman is always an easy gateway to their universe. You seem to have experienced some of that, so all I can really add to him for recommended reading is "Hush." A lot of his crossovers are huge though, so reading "No Man's Land" or "War Games" or "Knightfall" is a chore.
    Besides Batman, there is also JLA and Teen Titans. A good place to pick up for JLA is the current series now; start at issue 0. Teen Titans volume 3 (current series) is also good to start at issue 1. If you've seen the cartoon, the only thing you need to know is that Robin does not lead the real TT in that series. And this Robin is Tim Drake, not Dick Grayson. And this one isn't in love with Starfire.

A note though on 2 different kinds of superhero comics; there are solo comics and ensemble comics. Essentially, there's Superman/Batman/Spider-Man type titles, and then there's X-Men/JLA/Avengers/Teen Titans type titles. Solo comics allow more character development whereas ensemble titles usually afford grander tales...unless you're reading something by Brian K. Vaughan or Robert Kirkman. They turn it into a popularity contest at high school.

Aside from those titles to get you IN to the genre, I'd recommend, if you like the more brutal stuff, Moon Knight 1-6. But I must warn you, it's good as is; but it's fucking brutal and poetic if you learn his history. Do a wiki search on him.