SRS I can't fucking do math... Fuck!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by sexhaver420, Jun 29, 2009.

1. sexhaver420

sexhaver420 Buying stuff I don't need, with money I don't have OT Supporter

I just registered for a summer course at my college in Algebra II and after one week I had to drop that class. No biggie right? Except I tried much harder in this class than I did in any other class, and I pretty much get A's or B's in all my classes. On top of spending 1pm - 5pm in class, Monday through Thursday, I spent about eight hours a night on homework. I worked so hard at it that it got to a point where all I could think about was math. Everything I saw in life was presented to me as a math problem I could not solve or a word problem I could not translate into an equation. How many cars are let through a choke in a Traffic through several merges, the amount of lights on at a ball game, and even things I don't know are thought of in my head as "X." Before taking this class I thought I could do anything in school. Despite all my hard work, I could not pass this class for the life of me; as the title suggests I just can't fucking do math.

I've always looked up to people that were very proficient in math as being smart individuals. There's a girl who has popped 100s of pills, smoked weed and drunken her brain into cream cheese, which my social group has determined as being the most retarded female we know. Even she was able to pass this class with a B even while taking three other classes. I look at myself as being even stupider than her, and she is really fucking stupid. I can speak and write infinitely better than she can, but when does that account for anything when I can't do the math my friends label as "basic."

I could probably blame this retardation on other aspects besides myself. Such as my dad for being a failure at everything except keeping healthy and pimping his sugar mamma (my mom). Or I could blame this on me not doing math for about four and a half years and then deem myself "rusty." I could also blame this on the class for packing a sixteen week semester long class into six weeks of a summer class. I could also blame it on my retarded teacher who is so timid that I wonder how she even has the courage to speak in front of a class. I feel like I could make better use of my class time by putting on ear buds under earmuffs and reading the text book rather than listening to her do examples on the board at her comfortable pace.

However, I'm not trying to figure out what to blame, as much as I'm trying to figure out why I suck at math. I spend eight hours a night on homework trying to figure out why I miss each problem. Unsure of whether it’s because I forgot to convert a negative to a positive, forgot a 1 in front of the 4, read a 53 as a 63, or because I simply can’t grasp the concept, I end up frustrated and discouraged but decide to keep going. I go to my brother's house to get help and he ends up helping me on and off from about 8pm-1am before falling asleep on a couch as I'm still not able to grasp the concept. I also tried to get a tutor, but I don’t think she helped much because 1. She’s a woman, 2. She didn’t enjoy tutoring me. Contrary to what this sloppy post might suggest, I'm an English tutor myself and I know I wouldn't be able to reach out to someone if I didn't actually get satisfaction from knowing I improved their life. I also tried to seek help from another friend who has a math degree and a 4.0 from a very reputable college; he couldn't really help me and didn't seem to want to.

Are some people's mind's just not configured to be able to do Math? Is it true that it's a natural gift to people? Can I not improve it, or work at it? Am I doomed to get a useless degree revolving around English? Any suggestions to help me understand concepts better? The last thing I want to do is go back to Algebra I and re-learn balancing equations.

For what it's worth I gave up during solving systems of linear equations with three variables when an entire chapter was devoted to word problems. No thanks, I'd rather hang by my underwear upside down from a spinning helicopter rotor chugging bleach with electrical clamps attached to each testicle.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  2. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

I have the same problem.

3. saosko

saosko OT Supporter

Right brain crew!

4. Saluki

Saluki New Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Opera/9.60 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.2.13337/458; U; en) Presto/2.2.0)

I usually suck at math too...then I had a good teacher for once and really kicked ass. Maybe you just need a teacher that teaches differently?

5. saosko

saosko OT Supporter

I wish math wasn't so god damn boring

6. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

Language of the universe! :bowdown:

7. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

sounds like math anxiety to me. you need to get over the fact that you hate math and are not good at it. Stress affects math skills more than other subjects so if you are not relaxed and confident about your math ability then you have already failed before entering the classroom. Also, try and learn the process, it is not the number that matters but more the process to getting there.

Algebra is mostly plug and chug so if you learn the steps, it's the same for every problem. You just need to be able to recognize what steps to take. I doubt you have a hard time with your multiplication/division/addition/subtraction skills.

Good luck with it. I guarantee you can pass this class

8. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

Having a good professor is essential. I always strugged with calculus, big time. My first couple semesters I was struggling to pull D's in it. Then one day I decided to change classes due to a time conflict, and got a new professor. Made a HUGE difference. He was a no bullshit type, and explained things very simply and clearly. It was pretty much, for these types of problems, do this, this and this. He didn't over complicate things.

Since you are in school, you can also ask about a tutor. Many offer them free of charge (university pays them). It can be a big help to have a second set of eyes on what you are doing, and they might be able to give you some pointers where you are going wrong in your approach.

9. OniMinion

OniMinion ...recalls when this forum was actually about cars OT Supporter

Take the time to read through the examples in the book. Take the time to do the homework. Take the time to get additional help outside (appointment with professor/TA/tutor). Take the time to give your mind a break. Most of all, realize that it doesn't come naturally to everyone. Most students that have a strong concept of it in college understood it better in primary grades. I also agree with popsnbeer that it sounds like anxiety. The more you sit there thinking about how hard, and how stupid you are - the less you actually reading and trying to learn the material. Finally, remember the brain in like a rock. If you have a gallon bucket full water (knowledge) and dump it on a rock (your brain) the water splashes everywhere. If you are to instead pour it slowly to one spot on the rock it will not fly everywhere. My point it, don't cram math, pace it. If you know you have 4 sections due on Thursday, and quiz on Friday. Do one section a night. Don't save it until the last minute. Also, consider a glass of wine (serioulsly) as it may take a little bit of your edge off (and taste good). Good luck with math, I was a Mathematics Major and it took a lot out of me.

10. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Have you always had problems with math?
    Do you have a problem with finding your way in a huge supermarket, do you get lost easily, are you seen as clumsy, do you suck at drawings when you do some?
    Do you have a hard time remembering a phone number that you keep in your head so that you call someone or do you suck at mental calculation?

11. saosko

saosko OT Supporter

21 questions :dunno:

12. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

I have trouble with all of the above.

13. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Problems with math as in failing in elementary school?

These could indicate some problems such as wroking memory deficit, visuo-spatial deficit, dyscalculia. If it interferes a lot with the person's functionning (not just annoying, it usually has to be severe like having a problem counting the change to a point where you're unable to do it, and even reading a clock could be hard), then a neuropsych evaluation could be warranted.

It would have been damn long to ask 1 question at a time :p

14. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

Yup.

Yup, my testing revealed that, and the Brain SPECT scan (which has improved) showed hypoperfusion in both temporal lobes, parietal lobes, and prefrontal and frontal lobes. Distribution was 50-70% abnormal. Fortunately some symptoms have improved but I still have a lot of cognitive deficits and neurological/psych problems.

Yeah I had one done. It's not fun. You feel like a real retard when you can't remember someone's name who you know well, or stand there like an asshole counting singles and nickles at the grocery store while trying to comprehend whether a nickle is 5 cents or 10 cents. The worst part is that I used to just overpay so I wouldn't look stupid for underpaying and then they'd give me back change and say "Oh you gave me an extra bill, here is your 20 dollars back sir." :doh:

15. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

Math is something I sadly can't wrap my head around. I mean obvious simple every day math isn't a problem, but math in school was a really big problem for me :( Thank god I met my fiance. He's a math genius and helps me tremendously.

16. sexhaver420

I spaced out the homework. People would ask me why I would be doing it if it was due a different day. For the first time in my life I even spent a friday night doing homework. I did seek out a tutor but it didn't help much. I don't think it's much of anxiety, I walked into this classroom as confident as could be. I'm going to take it with a different professor next semester and see how that works out for me.

17. sexhaver420

No to all of the above except the first and the last.

18. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Maybe you (just) have a bad working memory. You're gonna have to learn to live with it and find strategies so that you are more organized unfortunately.

19. runawaycamel

runawaycamel New Member

I'm in the same boat as you. I see these kids who just seem and act dumbbb...and then do better in math than me. And I find myself spending so much more time on math than anything else, but I still get the worst grades in it.

I hate math more than pretty much anything, though, so that may contribute to my failing.

20. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

I like math. I'm not as good as it as I'd like to be though.

21. Clancer

Clancer New Member

Dont feel like youre alone. Ive taken calculus 1 three times now: dropped it once, failed it once, and took it this summer again and have the feeling I didnt pass it again. And it frustrates me to no end because the most retarded people in the class and people that never show up still pass. It also really isnt that hard, but its tests and quizzes that kill me. I can do all the homework and understand all of the derivative and integral rules and still fail.

But I absolutely raped my writing courses without even trying so that makes me feel better. I got the highest grade in my last english class without really even trying and doing everything hours before its due :o

And algebra isnt that bad once you get comfortable with it, especially if you can use a graphing calulator. I learned how to solve essentially every problem from algebra through precal using a calculator

22. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Your situation is the classic hammer that is blaming itself that its not fit out to cut down trees. While you blame the fucking bitch who's type and figure is actually more of a rusty saw, which would still do a better job then a hammer into trying to cut down the tree.

There is no such thing as a universal perfect property , for example a skinny person could easily outrun a 300 kilogram fat person . but if both would fall into ice cold water the fat person would survive longer and outrun the skinny person. Or in other words , its a matter of relative perspectives.

Life is pretty much about overcoming weaknesses, you don't have to be a hammer forever, you could mold it into a saw with extraordinairy effort, and this is the road you should take but,

the only way you can overcome math is to stand above it, meaning that you must have more skills in mathematics then that the test requires, this requires not only mad training, but also getting,reading and practising the best mathematical books available, reducing the spectrum of priorities in only doing those things in your life that are relevant, and getting the best teachers available, while upgrading your study methods along with understanding the pathway that you are going and getting the best tips on how to deal with those existing problems. Remember you are not the first who has done these tests, if you can find information on what kind of test they are going to give you, you will have knowledge in advance, and this will help you to deal with the tests easier.

23. oakback

oakback New Member

Find out if your school has a "math lab". Mine had a math lab, and a writing lab. They were staffed by professors, and it was free for students. You would just show up any time and ask for help, and they were great about it.

24. OniMinion

OniMinion ...recalls when this forum was actually about cars OT Supporter

You probably spaced out the homework because you were so stressed out. I would consider looking into a guided independent study version. I would also make sure that you don't need the "building block" courses. It's possible you're missing some very vital pieces from previous levels that could aid you.