SRS I cannot get the right help for my anxiety

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by wizurd, Oct 6, 2006.

1. wizurd

wizurd TRUE OT OG BRO

I'm not going to go into too much detail right now but I've had really bad anxiety for about the past 2 years. Last year a doctor had me try Zoloft + Buspar and that shit made me so depressed that I stopped taking it. I'm not sure if it would've helped in the long run but I couldn't handle being depressed everyday. And just to get this out of the way I am NOT depressed, I just have general anxiety and sometimes a panic attack here and there. About a month ago another doctor had me try Zyban and that made my anxiety go through the ROOF. Everywhere I went I was having a panic attack so I stopped taking it after a week. I haven't been having many panic attacks the past few weeks but my day to day anxiety isn't getting any better. I've had these weird headaches and pressure on the top of my head for the past month and nothing really seems to help but sleep. :dunno:

I just don't know what the doctor is going to prescribe me next. I try relaxing, doesn't work. I get plenty of excersize at work, that's not it. I eat pretty good. I really wish there was a way without medication but I don't think there is.

Would anyone be able to recommend something they're taking especially if they've had similar problems? If you want to know more about my daily anxiety I'll post about it.

:sadwavey:

2. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

What is needed in life is not fear, nothing can grow from that. cast off your fear, go forward, move forward, retreat and you will age, hesitate and you will die. What do you have to fear for, to lose your life? You can't hold on to anything in life anyway,you will die so why would you care? its like sand that eventually slips away from your hand, in other words like a boxing game go for gold in your life, because being afraid that your opponent is going to throw punches at you is useless because you WILL GET HURT, might as well go for gold and punch the hell out of your opponent which is life.

Fuck fear, don't let life walse over you , you walse over life. If you have a panick attack say to yourself ' They have more reason to be afraid of me then i off them ' You don't have to think much about it, just put your mind on zero and go for your goals in life.

3. Arman Tanzarian

Arman Tanzarian New Member

I was in the same boat as you until I my doctor put me on Effexor and risperdal. I hate the risperdal because it makes my heart rate go crazy but so far so good

4. wizurd

wizurd TRUE OT OG BRO

Both of those have some nasty side effects. :noes:

5. jmezz

jmezz layin in bed stretchin my pumped quads for hours

A friend of mine is on Celexa and she likes it a lot. Have you tried it?

6. 2500

2500 Guest

you need to see a therapist, not a doctor. doctors will only give you medicine because thats all they can do. anxiety, in most cases, is a learned behavior. it has roots deep in your brain, and its not something a pill can cure. you aren't suffering from a lack of that drug, so how does taking it help you? if you never learn the reason you have it, the root, inner most reason, taking the drug will only mask your SYMPTOMS, not cure your problem. i suffered from terrible panic attacks. 5, 6 a day. i would be in the ER freaking out most nights of the week. i would see 4 or 5 different doctors a day. i went into debt because of all my medical bills, over 12,000 after insurance! i tried doctors and psychologists, but all they did was throw prescriptions at me. zoloft, paxil, seroquil, valium, xanax. thats all they can do, cover up your symptoms. you need to see a hypnotherapist. after suffering like that for 6 or 7 months, i saw a hypnotherapist, she hypnotised me for 45 min, and like a light switch, i have not had a single panic attack in 3 years. i still have some worry and "what if" thinking problems, and also some hypochondria, but the panic attacks that stopped my life are over. i just bought "attacking anxiety and depression" last night to see if that can take the rest away. but please stop wasting your time with medical doctors. they don't know anything about anxiety past "take these pills." my doctor actually laughed at me when i said i was going to get hypnotised. "haha, ok, good luck with that." is what he said. well, all his pills did was make me freak out and call 9-11. so i made sure a few months later, to go back to the Dr and tell him how the hypnosis cured my panic attacks. i was also in therapy recently, and, its amazing what they can connect with in your life. i would strongly recomend seeing a hypnotherapist because they have the training in therapy, can help you see why you have it, and also are licensed in hypnosis. good luck.

7. 2500

2500 Guest

well, that just proved that you know very little about the mind, about anxiety, and about hypnosis. you are thinking stage hypnosis. where they snap their fingers and your out like a light, and they can make you quack like a duck, and jump up and down every time you hear a doorbell. thats stage hypnosis, its a gimick. that is NOT what hypnotherapy is. when i was under hypnosis, there was alot of visualization, putting myself in a happy place, calm music. i was fully aware of what was going on around me. i heard trucks going by on the road, i hear people coming in and out of the building. i even remember saying in my head "i just wasted 100 bucks, this is crazy." but, i finished, left, and an hour went by with no panic attacks. then 2, then 3, then i went the rest of the day, week, month year, 2 years, all the way till now. i can assure you that hypnotherapy is NOT what you think, and i would strongly suggest you research it before you dismiss the idea of it. or, you can keep having a cocktail of medication, pay doctor bills up the ass, and be in the same spot, out of money, and still living with anxiety in 5 years. i just hope the OP doesn't have the same mentallity as you, because i feel it can really help. and if not, what have you lost besides maybe 80 bucks.

8. toeshoes

toeshoes Guest

you might try both a psychiatrist (for meds) and a psychologist (for cognitive therapy)

9. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

i have been the same way
    i found it was an internal desparation to control the things around me, unable to let go, be it anything.
    i have found that having faith in a the god of my understanding, no one elses, has helped me immensly, also learning some basic breathing technics.

the trick is to not add a secondary fear to it. anxiety attack are self limiting-they always go away. dont ad to it by thinking you are going crazy, or having a heart attack, etc. what i find is to STOP. Do just what is in front of me, and think of nothing else. And know that i can do it, even if anxious.

i used to have them so bad out of nowhere that i would shake, tremble, blurred vision, just want to run. i have to stop, and remind myself that i am powerless over it, i cant make it stop any more than i could make it start (try it! try to give yourself one, you cant), that it will go away. I used the 12 steps to help me, revised a bit

1. I am powerless over anxiety, and what causes it (desire to control)
    2. Maybe a power greater that myself can restore me to sanity
    3. Maybe i'll let it

for me, desperation turned to hope, hope to faith, then faith to trust. now i am able to deal with situations that would previously have sent me into panic attacks so bad it would level me

:)

10. 2500

2500 Guest

how are you even going to argue with me because IT HAPPENED TO ME. i was suffering debilitating anxiety and panic attacks, in the ER 5 nights a week, racked up thousands and thousands of medical bills, and it went on for 6 or 7 months straight. i went in for 1 hypnosis session, and i have not had a single panic attack in 3 years. how are you going to argue against something THAT HAPPENED TO ME?

i'm not saying hypnosis is a cure all for anxiety and that it will work for everyone. i'm saying its a cheap thing to try seeing as it worked for me, before getting hooked on addictive, dangerous medication that will cover your symptoms, never address the cure, and just bring back your anxiety when you attempt to come off of them. but if you would rather be on highly addictive, dangerous, and mind altering medication for the rest of your life, that simply masks your SYMPTOMS and does NOT fix the actual problem, hey, thats your call. but, i'll be watching for your post in 5 years when you try to come off the medication, feel like complete shit, go through withdrawls, have your mind be all cloudy, and be in a living nightmare with anxiety worse than it is now. talk to you then. :fawk:

11. art vandelay

art vandelay OT Supporter

Amazing post. :bigthumb:

12. Bruticus

Bruticus half dead OT Supporter

I don't recommend drugs as I think most of this stuff can be worked out by you by changing your thinking.

Still, one of my friends got some bad anxiety attacks but she just started using something called 'St Johns Wart' (sounds worse than it is...) and it seems to have helped her a lot! Might wanna do some research on it.

13. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

I thought St. John's Wort had some bad side effects, too.

14. Bruticus

No idea, I didn't read up too much on it. She hasn't suffered any of them though (at least to my knowledge) and it has helped her :dunno:

15. moonie

moonie u want a FRANKYUM?

St. John's Wort is a natural herbal supplement, it is NOT a drug. u can't overdose or get side effect from natural extracts. (unless u r taking other prescription medicine along with it.) i have been taking St. John's Wort as a routine for almost a year now, and it has significantly improved my sleeping condition. it also helps calming your system which naturally enhance ur mood. i remember recommending this product in another post elsewhere. you can get this at GNC or any other health/nutrition store.

16. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Oh come on now. Cyanide is a "natural extract" and you can get a side effect from that. Anything you put into your body is a chemical and has the possibility of changing your body chemistry, regardless of if it is "natural" or "synthesized" or however else it's made.

All I'm saying was, years ago St. John's Wort was all the rage. My mom thought I was depressed in high school and told me I should take it, but I never really did. THEN, a year or two later, she goes "hey, remember when I was telling you to take SJW? Well they just did a bunch of studies on it, and other popular 'natural herbal supplements' and they cause x, y and z side effects, so it's good that you don't take it anymore." I guess it was on the news or something.

If it helps you, that's awesome. I'll try to find some links on the side effects because I don't even remember what they were.

17. Bruticus

A lot of natural supplements or drugs have possible side effects and you should definately research before taking anything. Some are really rare or mostly not severe so it may be worth getting the benefits for some small side effects. Depends on the individual.