GUN I can now say Ruger > Glock

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Y2kAccord, Mar 2, 2003.

1. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

I got my purchase of a P-89 delayed by a day much to my displeasure.. well anyway
    My friend and I rented a P-89 Ruger 9mm and a Glock 17c 9mm and we each bought 100rds of ammo and put 50 through each gun:

Ruger P-89:
    I had this gun first and trying not to be partial but the same model I am purchasing. This gun is heavier than the glock, but feels solid, and handles well. It shoots nicely, never had a jam or misfire. Recoil was alot more than the glock and the sights were a little off from what I could see.

Glock 17:
    For almost $200 more than what my gun sells for I would expect more than what felt like a toy gun. It was really light and had almost no recoil or kick, which helped in firing.
    The aim was really accurate, I acutally shot more accurate with the glock than the Ruger.
    The gun in 50 rds I put through it kept I guess for a lack of a better word Jamming, I would load the magazine put one back into the chamber, pull the trigger and nothing would happen.. I had to disengage the magazine and get the round out of the chamber reload it and try it again which is would usually work.
    This happened about 2-3 times in 50rds for us both.

To be fair these were both rental guns so the jamming of the glock could be due to not being cleaned or whatever, but my friend and I both favor the feeling and how the P-89 fired and I am reaffirmed of my purchase

2. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

the glock can never lose

3. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

From the FTF you're describing, i'd guess either:

A) the gun was never cleaned, as rentals often aren't, and there was gunk built up in the striker channel, causing a light primer strike

B) you were limp wristing it and causing a light strike. Since your Ruger has more mass moving when it fires, it's harder to limp wrist.

Without knowing how experienced your friend is, i couldn't say, but since you both had the problem, that may tilt the favor to a excessively dirty gun.

4. Red Hunter

Red Hunter Guest

5. Y2kAccord

I dont see how a gun can jam depending how you hold it, i was not limp wristed, and my friend had the same problem
    I have big hands and the 17 was just a good fit.

6. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

if your wrist gives too much, the recoil of the slide will not cycle properly. you will have effectively transferred the recoil from the pistol to your wrist, leaving none by which to operate the mechanisms of the pistol. this is not limited to glocks, but i've seen it happen more on them than any other firearm. when i first started shooting pistols, i did the same thing, so i know how easy it is to do on a glock if you're not paying attention. i have since changed my grip on the gun

7. Jefferson Darcy

Jefferson Darcy Ol' shit chest

Glock > Ruger.....

but I like alot of brands better than both. For instance, for full size pistols I like Sig and Smith and Wesson as well as various manufacturers of 1911s much better. For small pistols I like Kahr, S&W and the 1911s also.

My experience with glock has mostly been with the NY 12 pound triggers tho, which suck.

The only rugers I would buy are the Mark II 22 pistol and the 10/22 rifle. I have a 10/22, but the only thing ruger is the reciever. Everything else is volquartsen or other aftermarket, the stock is.... um.... Mc something... he makes awesome stocks for sniper and target rifles... I paid $300 for the stock a few yrs ago and now I cant even remember the name of who made it :uh: The ruger 10/22 is an awesome rifle for customizing.

8. Scoob_13

Scoob_13 Anything is possible, but the odds are astronomica

Where'd you rent them?

BulletTrap generally keeps their rentals farely cleaned with weekly cleanings whether the gun has been fired or not, and daily cleanings on the "popular" rentals (including most glocks, H&K's, etc.).

I'm not sure about DFW Gunrange as I haven't been there as much. :dunno:

I'd say that there may be a problem with the gun or the ammunition, did you mention it to the range guys?

9. Y2kAccord

Both guns where rented from Bulletrap using bullettrap ammo they gave us.
    We didnt mention it to them. just assumed that it was a POS.

I got my P-89T yesterday so I wont have to rent it anymore. :)

10. Scoob_13

Well, that's kind of odd then since Bullettrap only uses Winchester gold as their range ammo. There could have been something wrong with the gun, and I'd be willing to bet that someone else had rented it earlier and manage to do something odd to it. It wouldn't be the first time that it's happened to me

11. Platinum_Thunder

Glocks are such trash

12. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Thank you, Mr. Cirillo.

13. Scoob_13

I wouldn't say that, since they have their uses, however I'd never buy one unless it was a good deal that had an interesting choice of round (such as .357sig ;) )

14. Y2kAccord

I did not :fawk:

15. Platinum_Thunder

you know if a Glock doesn't work properly it's the users fault :slap:

16. Platinum_Thunder

Yeah because you know me personally :greddy:

17. Y2kAccord

I know I misread it the first time.. but edited my post just to say the others who have said that to STFU... I like my ruger.. well I love my ruger, its a great gun

18. SS109

SS109 3100 FPS OT Supporter

I am not a Glock lover, I prefer my H&K, but I would still tell you to get a Glock over a Ruger. The Rugers are notorius for bad accuracy.

19. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

i don't know that i've ever limp-wristed a .40, but then, i've only shot gold dots in it, and i had to hold it like i meant it. when i first shot my friend's 19, i probably had 2, maybe 3 jams due to limp wristing. then i figured out what i was doing. some people never do it, some do it a lot. that's the only pistol i've ever had it happen on, and only those few times. it's pretty much the only way you can get a glock to misfeed, unless you have crappy mags.

20. Fook Yoo

Fook Yoo OT Supporter