SRS I Can Never Seem to Complete Things I Want to Do

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by chbrules, Feb 22, 2010.

1. chbrules

chbrules New Member

not relevent to topic
    I've visited OT a few times, didn't think much of the community. I've been on nonewbs.com for over a year now, but I've grown very weary of their bullshit. I just wanted to state this is my first serious transition to OT! :)

topic
    So I find myself being a real problem solver. I love solving problems in many regards. I'm getting my B.S. in MIS (Management of Info Systems) and this is my last semester at my uni. MIS deals with solving business problems with computers, primarily. I have a strong technical background, as I used to be a CS major. I learned a good deal on C/C++, but moved more into PHP and MySQL. I find myself at home with web applications these days.

With all of this behind me, I can't seem to catch a break, let alone really complete any projects. The closest I've came were two sites I worked on with my best friend, who I now am trying to seperate myself from business with due to his other aspirations in life taking precedence.

CitySpeakeasy_com is a Yelp! competitor, to put it bluntly. I just realized it was a lot more effort than I thought I should be putting into something; not to mention Yelp has a very strong base.

QuotesFromPeople_com is a more recent site I came up with from the concept of the textsfromlastnight.com and fmylife.com trends. I got a couple friends to sign up, but I never took it anywhere.

Anyway, I'm just kind of babbling on here. My point is, I can't seem to stick with projects. I love coming up with ideas, and I get so psyched to work on them. I'll rush into designing templates, designs, code, art, etc, but then that whole excitement for the project takes a deep dive. I put things on the shelf and they never see the light of day. I really think some of my ideas could have a chance, but I don't have the motivation to do anything with my ideas sometimes.

Do I need to surround myself with motivational people? Maybe doing all this work isn't exactly my forte', and that maybe I should be more of the manager and contributer than the developer?

I don't know. Maybe someone has this same experience and can make sense of the craziness I feel in my head all the time from this neverending circle. :wtc:

2. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

Yes, you absolutely need to form a "Master Mind" group that inspire you, motivate you, and allow you to delegate ideas (or be delegated to).

It's clearly not your passion, so spicing it up by consulting, or working on some projects for others that you're obligated to complete, may be helpful.

Being an ideas man is sort of like being a song writer who lets others perform his songs. There is nothing wrong with it if it's what you feel satisfied doing.

3. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

Pick up the book "Think and Grow Rich". Make sure to pick the right edition with the original authors writing.

You need both a system to help you navigate goal setting and reaching success, as well as experimenting in areas that obligate you to meet "someone elses" expectations.

4. chbrules

chbrules New Member

I think that may be a big issue of mine as well. I never really set goals. I usually have an end goal of some sort, but how I get there, and what the end result really looks like is always up in the air.

I'll check out that book. Thanks for the reference!

5. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

6. Japan Four

Japan Four Guest

7. chbrules

chbrules New Member

At first I thought, pft that's not my problem. But I'm thinking it may actually be; at least partially. I always want to work with someone competent on projects, but they seem to lose interest and/or we can't agree on things. Even when we do get things going, I think we're to ambitious. I'm going to try to take this to heart and see if it can help me. Thanks for the link! :bigthumb:

8. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

You have to set rules for yourself.

Set 1 idea, and first think if you have what it take to finish it, step 2 initialize this idea, make sure its the best idea of all accomplishable ideas that you have.

Rule 1: FINISH WHAT YOU START!
    Rule 2: Winners don't quit, and quitters don't win.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mljMRRRb1vw , bit harsh but it works.

9. surlybot

surlybot you cool maaaaaaannn?

don't lie conrad, you were GI'd because everyone hates you.

10. chbrules

chbrules New Member

lulz

Hey, fgtbot. How's your gay crew on NN?

11. chbrules

chbrules New Member

Donald Trump :rofl:

Some things he has to say are legit, but other things just sound ridiculous. The guy is always on the verge of bankruptcy, and he had a privelaged life his entire life. Who's he trying to kid?