GUN I can has Saiga .308 for MBR?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by jeepilot, Feb 20, 2009.

1. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

I got my tax refund back and decided I wanted a .308 MBR. Well in CT you can't have any of the good stuff, and most of everyplace was sold out of anything remotely interesting. I really wanted an m1a, but nothing was to be had locally for anything under $1500. I decided that I don't really need m1a accuracy, as I already have a .308 bolt rifle - Rem 700P LTR. I saw an FNAR. I thought might be interesting, but hadn't heard much about them and they look goofy with that regular rifle stock with a pistol grip added. The biggest reason I bought the Saiga instead of saving for the M1A, or trying to order anything else, was that it is built on the AK platform, so I don't think you're going to find a more reliable MBR platform. The ability to get 25 rnd mags for it. Most other MBRs are going to be 20 rnds. Probably might not make that big of a difference, but fewer mag changes would be nice. Basically I'm looking to this for a SHTF kinda gun, that will give me enough penetration in an urban environment, and shares ammo with my LTR.

I went to Hoffmans, for those that are in CT, and picked up a Saiga in .308 with the 16" barrel. I can only imagine how loud it will be. I haven't made it to the range yet. Unfortunately, I won't be converting it to pistol grip at this time, as I will be using that buttstock with an optic I will order next week. The cheekpad rotates down out of the way when not in use, to allow proper cheekweld using siderail mounted optics and open sights. The biggest reason I bought the Saiga instead of saving for the M1A, or trying to order anything else, was that it is built on the AK platform, so I don't think you're going to find a more reliable MBR platform. I'd love to have a FAL, but they're banned under CT's AWB. The ability to get 25 rnd mags for it was also a major factor. Most other MBRs are going to be 20 rnds. Probably might not make that big of a difference, but fewer mag changes would be nice. Basically I'm looking to this for a SHTF kinda gun, that will give me enough penetration in an urban environment, and shares ammo with my LTR.

I also ordered some 25 rnd magazines from Surefire Mags, the same company that makes the Saiga S-12 mags. I also got their front handguard in order to comply with 922(r) when shooting the 25 rnders.

I don't know how recoil will be, but it's gas piston operated, so I'm guessing it won't be that bad.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I picked up the P220R about a month ago, and threw it in the pics as well.

2. Mitch'SS

Mitch'SS New Member

Were did you locate that forearm?

Thanks for the pic... ive been wanting to get one. Gonna call today :mad:

:big grin:

3. Need More RWHP

Need More RWHP Got Horsepower?

Its under 1 moa with light bullets. The twist of the barrel likes the lighter rounds. More pics pls!

4. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Nice, I've been keeping my eyes open for an irresistable deal on a .308 saiga too.

5. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

The front handguard and mags were purchased from Linked: Carolina Shooter's Supply. I'd never heard of them, but they shipped and were received within about 4 days of placing the order. They also have saiga S-12 mags for those that are looking for them. Good guys to do business with.

I paid about $600+taxes, but considering that classicarms.us has them for $550, I'd say I got about average deal. After shipping and transfer fees it would have been about the same, and for the difference I'd rather support an in-state shop. Mine also had the "draganov" stock.

I've heard reports of 2-3 moa out of the 20 inch versions, so it will be interesting to see how the shorter/stiffer 16" barrel will do. I just ordered a case of Portuguese Surplus 7.62NATO which I know will pull sub MOA out of my LTR. I want to buy more, but at $470+shipping it isn't cheap.

6. Mitch'SS

Mitch'SS New Member

Well, just ordered mine from classic. Wifeys gonna be pissed lol.

7. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

SA58>that

8. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

probably true, and a good substitute for the FAL, but at the same cost as the M1A, and nearly 3x the price of the Saiga, I'll stick with the Saiga.

9. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

My father has a converted Saiga in 7.62x39. It's a sub 2 M.O.A. gun with cheap Barnaul ammunition.

10. Mitch'SS

Mitch'SS New Member

Got mine in today (from classic) along with 500 rnds in a can from Copes.

Ordered the PG conversion parts and some 25 rd mags from mississippiautoarms. :big grin:

[​IMG]

11. minus

minus Damn you, Damn the Broccoli, and Damn the Wright B

I like your taste in handguns.

12. Need More RWHP

Need More RWHP Got Horsepower?

What PG parts did you get? Need more details!

13. Mitch'SS

Mitch'SS New Member

14. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

pretty sure you can get the 25 rnd mags about 4 dollars cheaper at Carolina shooter's supply. i don't know how many mags you ordered, or if you saved on shipping. But for the mags, they are cheaper from Carolina Shooter's Supply, and they shipped in about 2 days.

On that Surefire railed forend the front did not fit as flush to the bbl as it should, and there was a gap on the reciever side near the top. I don't know if your is like that as well. I need to take some sandpaper to it, and see if it will fit. Let me know how yours turns out.

15. jls

jls New Member

why 6 mags? :o

(as in why exactly six for both)

16. Mitch'SS

Mitch'SS New Member

Im waiting for all my parts to come in (waiting on trigger guard) before I go to work on it.

I did see that carolina shooters supply had them cheaper... but they dont take discover and thats what I use for online orders :)

Thanks for the tip on the forend. How has it worked out so far besides the fitment issues?

17. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

ha, didn't eve realize. I really have 7 for the Saiga, but I don't really count the factory 8 rnder as much of a mag.

The sig came with 2 from the factory, and I wanted two more 10 rnders. the other two were from novak, so i wanted to try them out before I bought any more.

I only bought 6 for the saiga because at $42 each I wanted to make sure they work before I buy some more. If they run well, i'll probably be buying about 5-6 more.

18. GlassUser

GlassUser send an email not a pm OT Supporter

Don't mind me, just tracked you down to jerk off a little more on your rifle.