i can get 160 gb drives for about $20 and i want to ....

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mr Bruce Wayne, Jul 11, 2005.

1. http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=304907

this is a seagate 160gb drive. i think they said it was PATA but the walmart advertisment of this drive says its SATA. is there an easy way to find out if my computer would be compatible with this drive?? what size are these drives?

also, i was thinking that since these drives come so cheap (price match with walmart at comp usa and then $80 rebate ... look in HOT DEALS)

i could have my computer raided with three of these (raid 0)without worrying about taking a large financial hit if one of the drives messed up and affected the others... however if that happened can i still reformat the drives and use them anyway? if i do go ahead and raid, do all the drives have to be the same size? is there a better way of raiding if i want speed and the most reliability i can get from raid? would that mean i need more comp fans ? or anythign else ?

also would i have to worry about my mid tower fitting a certain number of these according to the number of slots for whatever size the drive is ??

any other suggestions or comments ?? thanks yalls i hope this offer helps u guys if u didnt see it in hot deals . peace

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

that's a PATA drive.

Do *NOT* RAID0 the drives. Period. Even a bluescreen/reboot can cause data corruption.

As for matching, yes, you should match the drives.

You should not use RAID, period. Forget speed. Forget reliability. You should not use it, at all.

and logically, yes, common-sense would dictate that you need space in the tower for putting the drives.

3. are PATA drives compatible with most normal PCs out htere? is there any other way i can set up my computer in a certain way so that it would run faster? what are the pros and cons of this

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

argh.

sata