i bought my grandfather's 1983 impala...

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by twistid, Sep 1, 2004.

1. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

it has 73,345 miles on it, and the factory 305 is still strong... but not strong enough for me. :o so what should be my first mod???

2. twistid

i've had many tree fiddy's.

i was thinking motorwise doing a 383 stroker, but i'm wondering about the other stuff. this car will act as a cruiser/daily driver/weekend warrior/soundoff car.

3. thafox

thafox Guest

excuse me if im stupid in saying this, but cant u put some small block 400 head's on it an get a pretty good jump on power right there and build up with a new intake manifold, header's, carb, and ignition?

4. twistid

another thought was to go with the heads from the 265(i think it is) :dunno:

5. MAD PUNK inDC

MAD PUNK inDC Sic Semper Tyrannis

the 305 is not really a good motor to mod, but it does last forever. I've seen 305s with over 200k on the clock running as good as new. The problem comes with the 305s differance in bore. Insted of being 4" like a 350, it has a relitively small 3.736" bore, and the same 3.48" stroke. The combination of a small bore, and long stroke make this engine very prone to detonation. However all the SBC heads and intakes will work, as well as cams. Make sure if you decide to do a build on a 305, you do your calculations carefully, and be conservative on compression and timing. You can get a 305 to crank out a reliable 300hp, but don't expect much more without diving deep. For the money though, the 350 is a much better option.

6. twistid

7. fck_stik

fck_stik Guest

sounds like a good buy...you cant put and heads on a Wee-Oh-Five that have big valves because of the smaller bore...the valves will hit the sides of the cylinder and that makes baby Jesus cry...

Josh