I bought a spray in bedliner business *pics

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Jacknasty, Nov 1, 2004.

1. Jacknasty

Jacknasty New Member

This is my Tundra and my brother's Dbl Cab Tacoma paint matched with the polyurethane spray. We did these two, an 04 Chevy Z71, an 80's model El Camino and a Jeep CJ-7. They all came out well and I made some money this weekend :bowdown:

This stuff blows Rhino and Line-X out of the damn water. The main reasons being that it is more flexible, so it won't chip. And, it's UV protected, so it won't fade in a year, like most others. It's the best liner on the market, which is the main reason I bought the company. What do you guys think?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2004
  2. diranged

diranged New Member

im not so sure about it being better than Line-X, but it definately looks nicer than the Rhino linings. I got plain black Line-X done on my Dakota and I love it. That stuff is indestructible!

have fun with that business -- i really like the idea of getting stuff on my truck coated with liners like that, rather than paint. Im planning on having my winch-bumper line-x'd. :)

3. Jacknasty

Jacknasty New Member

How long have you had the Line-X on your truck? Let me know what it looks like in a year or two ;)

The neatest thing is the feel that it has to it. It's like rubber, instead of a hard coating. And, it's sprayed on thicker than Line-X and Rhino

4. diranged

diranged New Member

ive had it for about 6 months, and it looks as good as new. also have a friend who has had it for 4 years and it looks perfect...

the texture is just like most of the other ones -- keeps things in their place.

the stuff is very very very hard -- that is actually my only real complaint is that it hurts when you land in the bed for any reason.. like if you hop up into it with your knees or something. then agian, it does stretch and move with the metal -- there's a great movie clip online somewhere that shows a cinder block coated on one side with LineX and they drop it from a 2 story building. the cinderblock breaks in half, but the linex holds it together and you can bendit back and forth, but it stays on.

i in noway meen to say that LineX is better than your coating -- I am sure that they each have their own properties that appeal to different groups. For me, LineX was the way to go...

i have one question -- how do you spray it on even thicker than LineX? My LineX stuff is sprayed on WAY thick (im guessing here, but maybe 1/2 a centimeter?) -- i cant imagine anything thicker than that...

5. Jacknasty

Jacknasty New Member

You must have had somebody that knew what they were doing spray yours. That's the way they all should be. Truth is, they are all the same basic material. They vary by certain properties that make most harder than mine, but they are all polyurethane. :dunno:

As far as the thickness, again, you had somebody that knew what they were doing. Most companies only spray 1/8th of an inch thick, in order to keep the cost down. We spray 1/4 of an inch thick for durability. That would account for why yours is still looking good. Also, a trade secret that most other companies use is to spray the edges thicker that the rest of the truck, so that it looks thicker than it actually is. But, it sounds like you got a good one

6. no parts

no parts BMW Sauber F1 > your life

Can you give me a quote for an 04 Nissan Titan king cab? I'm leaning now towards a 399 rhino liner dealer here. Thx. :coold:

7. Jacknasty

Jacknasty New Member

It depends on color.

Black will run $415
    Color will be an extra $200 (I buy good paint, set up time, clean up, etc)

I would stay away from Rhino. If you don't want to spend the money on Reflex, go with Line-X, from a good business. The Rhino seems to fade faster than Line-X. If you plan on keeping your truck for a while, you might want to look into Reflex.

What color is your truck?

8. diranged

diranged New Member

Rhino lining sucks! I have a friend who got it and only after a few years, its had to be repaired several times and it has faded to a light grey color. Most of the rhino lining places are not very professional and the finish doesnt look that nice.

Not to mention, Rhino lining goes on at room temperature and sits to dry -- allowing drips and stuff. LineX (and I assume this guys stuff) are sprayed on at extremly high temps and cures instantly when it hits the surface of your truck -- no drips, evar.

9. diranged

diranged New Member

I guarantee you wont get a finish like this with Rhino...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2004
  10. Jacknasty

Jacknasty New Member

That's nice. They did a good job on your truck. It's awesome to see it going on when you are spraying it in.

11. Chase

Chase Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck yo

Is this a part of a previous business you already run?

12. Jacknasty

Jacknasty New Member

Negative.

I am in Sales for an electronics company and just bought this business about a month ago. My brother and I are spraying at night and on weekends right now, kind of testing the water for business.

People are really responding well to it so far and we have had two customers want us to pull out their spray liners (one Line-X and one Rhino) and have ours put in.

My brother does custom exhaust work for a shop in town and we are going to find a location where we can do both, as well as lift kits and various accessories. I would love to do this full time eventually. We are enjoying it and it seems like more of a hobby right now, rather than work

13. no parts

no parts BMW Sauber F1 > your life

My truck is smoke gray. I'm still up in the air on whether I should keep the stock plastic bedliner and sink the money into some other mod or get a spray in. :dunno:

BTW, :cool: pics dranged.

Jacknasty, can you get any "close up" pics of your spray in liner so I can compare it to the Line-X that dranged has?

14. bubbaZR2

bubbaZR2 i poop too much, then i get tired... OT Supporter

Line-x makes a good liner! I am not doubting your claims, but those are some big words.

15. Jacknasty

Jacknasty New Member

[​IMG]

This is a shot of mine. I have other pics, but they are too big for OT Uploads and I am too lazy to resize them all. I'll work on it though

16. Jacknasty

Jacknasty New Member

I realize that it may sound extremely cocky, but if you could see them in person, side by side, you would understand ;)

17. Jacknasty

Jacknasty New Member

18. Jacknasty

Jacknasty New Member

[​IMG]

2004 Chevy Z71

You can see in the above picture, the amount of prep work to cut the wire tape just right

19. Remington

Remington OT Supporter

Just curious, how much did you pay to get started? Also, how much competition do you have? Line-X shops are everywhere around here, and they're mostly just side ventures for shops already in the auto related business.

edit: How much time does it take to do a truck and how much profit is there? I'm assuming the margins are pretty small in this and the only way to make money is quantity. I would also think that rent, permits, hazardous disposal, and equipment would be pretty high overhead. I just don't see bedliners exclusively pulling enough profit to do it full time.

20. Jacknasty

Jacknasty New Member

Honestly, I would rather not discuss what I paid for the business. It's not relevant anyway, since it was a pre-existing business and there were extras that I purchased with it.

It was a mobile business, so there was a 17 foot enclosed trailer, generator, gas compressor, etc that went with the machine and territories.

As far as the Line-X shops, the company motto is "Dare to Compare" because most people quit thinking about Line-X and Rhino when they see Reflex in person :dunno:

21. Remington

Remington OT Supporter

Fair enough. I just don't see how this could be a mobile business.

22. Jacknasty

Jacknasty New Member

My machine is half the size of a refrigerator. My Emglo compressor fits against the front wall of the trailer. The generator and compressor are both gas powered (obviously) and everything fits in the trailer with room to spare. You get to where you are going, pull the machine out and get going. I also have a huge EZ-Up Tent that we spray in. :dunno:

At the present time, I am spraying out of the back of a muffler shop that my brother works at. We have almost 1200 square feet to work in, not including the 3 or 4 front bays that they work in.