GUN I bought a .38 snubbie today..

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Powderburn, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Powderburn

Powderburn New Member

S&W Model 37 w/ bobbed hammer and NO gay internal lock :bowdown:
    NIB for 389.99...the shop i bought it at was offering it as a package w/ a crimson trace grip but they wanted an extra 290 for the laser when its 200+ shipping @ Natchez so i just took the gun sans grip.
    Howd i do? the shop said the gun was part of an over-run for a Japanese police contract and their distributor got a few in to sell elsewhere. The trigger is surprisingly smooth for a j-frame. I tried a 642 once and the trigger was heavy and gritty for a new gun so i wasnt too impressed on that one.
    any ideas for a good carry load?
    im thinkin the "short barrel" +P gold-dots.

2. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

no 357 no care :hsughno:

3. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

buffalo bore

4. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I don't think a .38spl penetrates enough as a jhp and would recommend the "fbi load", a 158gr lswchp, preferably remington's since their lead is softer than winchesters. If you insisted on jhps the short barrel gold dots would be my choice, but I won't use them.

5. Powderburn

Powderburn New Member

where are some good online places to check out some LSWCHP rounds?
    i realize that .38 out a 2-inch barrel means REALLY selecting a proper load for effectiveness. Ill do my homework when i choose a round to carry. I should also point out this will be carried in rotation alongside a Glock 26 loaded w/ 147gr Golddots.
    God bless Florida! one of those beautiful "shall issue" states
    :)

6. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

too bad you dont have a license, you fucking prick

7. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Check out as in price or check out as in gel?

8. Powderburn

Powderburn New Member

i WOULD have a license if we had gone to take the CCW class together 2nite ya douchefuck:squint:

9. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

or if i had gone last week without you selling me out, dinodouche

10. timmy8151

timmy8151 New Member

I just purchased a S&W 642 the other month. THe 642 does have somewhat of a heavy trigger, but that's because its DAO.

If you're looking for carry ammo I highly suggest you look at Speer's 135gr Gold Dot ammo that's designed especially for short barrelled revolvers.

I purchased a couple hundred rounds from these guys:
    http://www.miragetechnologies.net/

They have the best prices I've seen for Speer Gold dots.

11. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

12. Powderburn

Powderburn New Member

hmm....i did alot of reading today on snubnose .38's and all the loads made for them. For some reason i read alot of 50/50 reviews on it.
    1) the .38 is not effective enough to penetrate/expand

2) it can, but only if you use loads like the LSWCHP in the 140-153gr weights

3) shot placement, shot placement, shot placement

4) .38 is too weak, carry a 9mm (yet another view of point #1 above)

these seem to be alot of the shit im reading about it. If the .38 out of a 2 inch barrel is that much of a crapshoot, why do so many people carry them? I mean i dont doubt .38 revolvers have been responsible for many self-defense related incapacitations over the past 100 years....im just confused.

I live in florida. the weather is hot. people dont wear many layers of clothing down here. and my bet is most thugs that confront victims are usually the wifebeater wearin' or football jersey w/ bling chain wearin ghetto types...that or a wifebeater wearin redneck...either one...so punching thru a winter parka or a leather jacket aint an issue here.
    I may stick with the short barrel gold-dots......ive seen too many good reviews and performance reports on those rounds to second guess their abilities.

13. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

Well, no matter what you're shooting, shot placement is key. Handguns are weak....BUT they're better than nothing.

14. itchiban

itchiban New Member

Anything is better than nothing. I'd carry around a P22 if it was my only option.

And um... where are the pics. :hs:

15. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Well pocket guns are a compromise. Pretty much .38spl in a j-frame is the hottest thing you can put in your pocket that you can shoot. You can get .357 mag in one, but most people won't practice with it in a lighter gun. You can get a .380 autoloader thats smaller, but less powerful. You can get a 9mm pocket autoloader thats smaller but its $1000. Really the j-frame with 38spl +P is alot of heat in the package. I agree, anything under 9mm isn't powerful enough to be used with jhp's, but that doesn't mean they won't put someone in a world of hurt.

Some people won't be happy without a s&w 500 in their pants, but if you want to pocket carry you've gotta compromise somewhere.

16. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

Check out some Corbon DPX 110gr for the 38

17. Platinum_Thunder

I didn't care for my 642 :hs:

18. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

What didn't you like? I had to get new grips before I was really happy with mine.

I'm also quite smitten with my p3at though which is even more concealable at the cost of a bit of power. They're probably be some of the last guns I'd ever sell though :big grin:

19. Platinum_Thunder

I just didn't really have a use for it. I thought I would carry it more, but I didn't feel comfy with it. I may eventually pick up a small auto like a Kahr.

20. Powderburn

Powderburn New Member

i should probably add to the "shot placement" argument that i DO plan on buying some Crimson Trace grips for it. I tried them out on the gun in the store as they had been pre-zeroed on the gun for 50 feet, and they were quite impressive. I think a pulsating red dot on a perps COM would make him think twice before taking another move in most situations. plus, it makes target aquisition lightning quick in a high-stress situation.
    I cant wait till monday when i get to pick it up...damn 3-day waits....:squint:

21. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

screw you, dinodouche