I beat Best Buy, now I need some help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by thesuperlurker, Apr 18, 2005.

1. thesuperlurker

thesuperlurker yes i know i have few posts... you arent the first

Well I bought a notebook from Best Buy almost 3 years ago. Last week I took it back for the third time with some mouse and startup problems (I think it was building up static charge, i had to unplug from the wall and take out battery, then replace to get it to start). Well they called me today and said it would be too expensive to fix, so come down and pick out a new computer. Well I was browsing the website trying to compare the notebooks and figure out which one to get. My computer was 1.2 Ghz, and I got it 3 years ago, and it seems like now the laptops are only like 1.3 Ghz. How has technology only advanced that much in 3 years. Does it have to do with the processors being specifically developed for notebooks now?

Anyway, I think I have a credit for about $1000. I'd like a the fastest (system bus and processor), a decent cache ( they're all better than what I had), reliability (very important because I probably won't be buying another warranty), and would prefer a dvd burner but that doesn't seem to common in this price range. If it were you what would you get? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Right now I'm narrowing it down between a Toshiba and an HP.

Thanks in advance for any help

2. dinger

dinger Guest

You might get more responses in the Computers & Programming forum.

3. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

:werd:

1.3 AMD >>>>>>> 1.3 Pentium

4. Emfuser

Emfuser Nuclear Moderator Super Moderator

On Topic --> Computers and Programming

:)

5. thesuperlurker

thesuperlurker yes i know i have few posts... you arent the first

Thanks for moving this to a better location. A few more questions. Is the mobile AMD processor better than the Pentium M? My old computer was AMD it it always seemed to overheat, has that problem been corrected? Once last question, I've narrowed it down between Toshiba and Gateway, they offer the fastest bus speeds and largest cache for the price I'm looking at. Would you lean to one of these brands over the other?

Thanks again

6. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

oh god, not gateway. i have had countless customers with gateway problems. Toshiba's are decent at best. too bad you're stuck with picking one out at best buy. you can get a screaming deal at Dell these days.

7. Sirkraker

Sirkraker New Member

I have a 3.6

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you're a fucking moron.

a 1.3GHz Pentium M system will SMOKE a 1.3GHz AMD. In fact... A 1.3GHz Pentium M system is comprable to around a 2.4-2.6GHz P4 machine.

Pentium M != Pentium 4

9. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

Toshiba is the best thing Best Buy has I think.

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

and that's sad because Toshiba makes my list as one of the WORST notebooks you can buy.