SRS I am too emotionally attached to things...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Guz200sx, Jul 21, 2007.

1. Guz200sx

Guz200sx The man who does more than he is paid for will soo

I just read a thread about another OT'ers cat dying and his cat looked like mine and when I saw my cat passing by...I literally busted out in tears:wtc: It was sad to read about what happened to his cat...and I could totally relate and what made it worse is that they are similar...I don't know what I would do if I was in that position.

And then I started thinking back to a year ago when I had a GF and how I used to ALWAYS cry when I had to drive back home away from her house. (I know lame) I don't know WHY I always cried but it was very :ugh:

And when I knew it was over and I knew in the back of my head that I wasn't going to see her again, I cried. In front of her. Pretty sad. I don't ever want a woman to see that again from me. I was so weak.

But again its that emotional attachment. I never cried like I have cried in the past year and a half.

After reading about that OT'ers cat, I cried throughout the morning just thinking about what will happen IF that happens.

The last time I cried like this was back a couple of months ago...I just burst out in tears thinking about my deceased grandmother and my ex.

I do consider myself sensitive cause I get easily offended by some things but am I OVERLY SENSITIVE or am I just an Emotional wreck?

And sad to ask this but How can I change this?? I want to be a little bit harder in some things like I definately do not want to cry again while driving home from a girlfriends house!!

2. busydoingnothing

busydoingnothing A broken man too tough to cry

I cried tears of joy when I saw your AV :eek3:

But seriously...What about other emotional problems? Depression? Anger? Moodiness? Anxiety? Is your mood generally balanced or do you experience high highs and low lows? Are you generally socially active or are you more reserved? Do you have friends you regularly hang out with?

Random fits of crying (although yours seem to be linked to specific events or triggers, but even then, I don't know if they still may be considered random) might point to a larger issue at hand. I'm not a professional, but in all my research, I've seen it as a component of certain disorders.

How old are you? Is it possible for you to see a psychologist? If so, I would highly recommend it. Having a professional whom you can speak with and who deals with people like you on a daily basis is invaluable.

As far as "fixing" your problem, do what you can to start on the path of acceptance. Acceptance is truly the key to overcoming all mental distress. Accept the way things are, accept how the world works, accept that you cannot change the past nor future, nor can you predict the future. Accept the fact that your girlfriend is not with you when you're driving home. Accept that death is a part of life. Learn to focus on and be thankful for the happier times, and be grateful for being granted the challenges in life that you must overcome. It sounds easier said than done, I know, but it's the way out.

3. Guz200sx

:)

I do get depressed sometimes depending on my financial status or my relationship status and if I start thinking about those things and overanalyzing it. The relationship stuff really gets to me though.

I am moody at times. Once at work, I didn't talk to any teachers and their was no real reason why either. I was just in a mood and I realized this was wrong to do but I still did it. I felt bad about it and still do...

I sometimes experience high and lows. Like right now, even though, I went to two parties tonight and had a good time at both, I almost feel like I am neutral but weening towards a low.

I consider myself a little bit reserved. It takes a lot to get me to trust someone. This is just the way I am. Nothing specific happened to me in the past for me to get like this.
    But I also consider myself socially active. I am not always though. Sometimes, I just want some alone time and I take it and stay away from everyone. But when I do get socially active, it usually happens in burst like tonight. And then their is a cool down period...sometimes for weeks.

I have my group of buddies that I hang out with occassionally. And lately, friends from work also.

I'm Also somewhat dating a girl.

Do you know which disorders?

I am 30yrs old. :hs:
    My parents have told me I should see a shrink....I don't know though. I have a hard enough time sitting down with my own parents, much less a stranger.

4. Jake!

Jake! Guest

It is easier with a doc you like; the hard part for me was finding a decent one.

5. Guz200sx

I have heard that IS the hard part.

My health care provider is Kaiser. I don't know if they would cover that.

What are some qualities I should look for in a psychologist though?

6. busydoingnothing

busydoingnothing A broken man too tough to cry

Based on your responses, it doesn't seem to me that there are a lot of deeper issues here, but again, I'm not a professional. The biggest concern, really, is the outbursts of crying. Could be perfectly healthy, I don't know...I myself haven't cried in years, and I kind of look at that as a problem.

Regardless, your parents are right on. I highly advocate therapy as long as you find it useful. I find it FAR easier to talk to a therapist about my problems than my parents. Therapists are neutral third parties. They have no intimate knowledge of you, no intimate connection, no investment in you. They deal with people like you on a daily basis, and they know how to handle it.

Jake is right though; finding a good therapist that you truly connect with is not always easy. In my experience, I've had 0 luck with anything less than a PhD. The two best therapists I've had held a PhD. I saw 2 CSWs/LSWs and they were pretty much useless.

Good qualities to look for is a therapist who actively engages you. He asks you questions, he digs deeper to the root of the problem. He allows you to speak, and he speaks at the right times. He gives you ways to improve yourself. He doesn't tell you what you want to hear. He at least appears interested. He makes you feel glad that you saw him and gives you that feeling of clarity as you leave the office.

It might take a few sessions to decide if the therapist is right for you. Browse around sites for your local area. Some therapists have websites; that's how I found mine. From his website, I could tell that he was exactly who I needed to see for my problems. He's a great therapist.

Some health care providers require you to call a sort of "Employee Assistance Program" for mental health, where they give you 10 free sessions or something with a selected provider in your area. It's not necessarily bad, since it's free, but that (mostly) takes your power to choose a therapist away from you. Both EAP programs I've had have websites, so I could at least search for therapists. Either way, take a look at your insurance card and see if there are any numbers on the back specifically for "mental health." If all else fails, call your provider (and good luck actually getting a hold of an operator ;)).

Best of luck man.

7. Lucky Penny

Lucky Penny Mr. cut me some slack cause I don't wanna go back,

Dude, if you figure this out let me know. I've been known to cry at sappy kodak comercials. :rofl:

I can relate to the overly emotionally attached feeling. I have found no cure but acceptance. Good luck to you though!!

8. Electric_Church

Electric_Church New Member

Im pretty sure you are normal.

You are just a sensitive guy and emotional. Thats completely fine!
    Id get really upset if someone else's animal friend died to.

You are normal.

9. JustJeff

JustJeff www.youtube.com/thisisjustjeff

Be glad you're not in a psychology class, or your mind would be going o_0

There is absolutely nothing wrong with you. You may be just a little bit over-emotional, but seriously: it's nothing that is going to cause you significant harm over the years to come. As a previous poster mentioned: Just accept who you are and be confident in yourself, and you won't worry so much about who you are you will move along with your life.