I am thinking of picking a Mac Mini so I can get some experience with Macs.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by VicenteFox, Nov 8, 2005.

1. VicenteFox

VicenteFox Does your mother still hang out at dockside bars?

I havn't owned a Mac since AOL 2.0 came out, So when I am on Macs at school I feel a bit lost. For 500 dollars I think it can work out.

Good idea? Is there anything new coming out in the Mac Mini horizon?

2. Grishnack

Grishnack Guest

3. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

i doubt that, seriously doubt. I'm guessing that they will unveil Intel based Powemacs and Powerbooks. Then, in a bit, iBooks and Mac minis, and lastly iMacs, mainly becuase they were just updated, but i wouldnt be suprised if the iMac was done third, and the mac minis and iBooks were last.

I would go for it. Look at the apple store page, then look down the right side untill u see the sale thing, click on it and u'll get the refurbished section. Scroll down to the mac minis, and instant boner.

If you must upgrade, they take 2.5inch Laptop hard drives (i believe, look arround a bit) and have single chanel RAM, can support up to 1 gig, and apple sells a kit for 99 dollars that'll install bluetooth and airport extreme into it, they can ship it to u or u can take it and and they will install it (not on site, it'll take a little bit).

If you've got the money, get a nice LCD somewhere. U can even look on ebay, there are some killer deals. if not, find a cheap CRT locally. Grab a Cheap intel optical usb mouse, and a keyboard (apple or non), and ur set. I would highly reccomend buying a USB hub also, because u'll find the 2 USB ports to be a bit short coming, considering the new iPods are all becoming USB only, and with a mouse and keyboard, u will need to do a ton of unpluging and pluging in.

Cliffs: Go for it. if you are the thread orignator, read the whole thing.

4. diranged

diranged New Member

I've got 2 Mac Mini's, a 12" PB, 14" iBook and a 2.6GHz P4 running OSx86...

Dollar for dollar, nothing beats buying a Mac Mini. Pick one up, and soon after you'll find yourself buying another Mac... trust me.

5. VicenteFox

$379.00 for a refurbed Mac Mini with possible upgradability? That sounds like just what I want.

I have spare parts around, I have another CRT around here and a Keyboard/mouse set-up.

I think I am going for it.

6. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

for sure should.
    Idk about upgradein the processor (its possible, but expensive) but the other stuff is easy, and i'm sure u could get the know-how here in the Mac Shack...

lol, i'm going for the same thing my self soon. First upgrade u'll want is to add atleast 512MB of ram (i mean replace the stock 256, i belive thats waht urs will come with). Next, for me, would be adding bluetooth and airport extreme, and then finally, if needed, a lappy HD.

7. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

I thought Jobs said that the Minis would be first, then the ibook/powerbooks, then the imacs and powermacs. At least thats what I remember from the presentation he gave in June or whatever about the switch to Intel.

8. colosodian

colosodian Next Gen

he didnt specify what would be updated or what in order. Every official statement from apple so far has said that there will be apples running intel in june 2006, meaning that they could be realeased anytime before than.

9. VicenteFox

I don't want to pick one up and then have an uber version come out :hsd:

I am going to wait on it I think. I hate the technology market sometimes.

10. dionx

dionx > OT Supporter

i just bought a 12" powerbook to gain experience on. a mac mini might be good to get into macs, but once you are into it and already have a PC desktop, there might not be a use for the Mini as a desktop. instead get a $1000 iBook because at least you'll have a portable computing solution.

11. Rev. Johnny Vegas

Rev. Johnny Vegas Rectal Ventriloquist

Actually, the Mac Mini is supposed to be one of the first MacTels released.

If you believe some of the speculation and Intel's public roadmap for processors, Intel hasn't even released the first processors from the family that Apple is going to use for the PowerMacs.

12. VicenteFox

I already have a nice 15" Toshiba notebook, No need for a portable computer. I would use the mac as a sort of home base. I would run music and chat apps on it and leave it on all the time pretty much. Also for email purposes.

13. colosodian

colosodian Next Gen

mini only has one video out.

14. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

could u get like a spliter or anything?

15. VicenteFox

Rumors point to January at Mac-world for next gen mini, I am going to wait a bit.

16. colosodian

colosodian Next Gen

if you could, it would only split the video to mirror, it would not be able to span two monitors.

17. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i would love to get a mini...but then again i've always lusted over the 12" ibook. i need a laptop within a year. but i'm always working with windows computers (i'm a networking major) i'm not sure if an ibook would hault any progress, but then again, i haven't been using any laptop in the past year and that has worked out fine. i'd like to get both, but i can't justify buying both. i already have a decent AMD pc that i mostly use to burn dvds, internet, etc.
    i would like to get more into photowork, i don't have much photo software on my pc and i love itunes on it too.

oh yeah, don't forget about the student discount through apple, if your still in school.

18. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

get the mini and max it out. you'll enjoy every minute of it. if you don't like it, you can always sell it to someone for the same price you paid for it!