SRS I am stressed out about class..

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by RebootEnzo, Mar 30, 2008.

1. RebootEnzo

RebootEnzo New Member

I am doing pretty well in all of my classes but one and that is the Public speaking class. I have been getting by but these last few speeches are killing and I have been skipping classes because I can't think of anything to write. It is a shame to get to the end and fail a class but I can't seem to go to back. I think Monday is the last day for this speech..

My other concerns are that I might fail just due to missing so many days. It started out with me being sick for a while and then I just kept missing more and more classes because I was not ready to give my speech. Arg.. I only have like 3 weeks of class left and it looks like I fucked it up at the end. I missed the withdraw date too...

2. DvBoard

DvBoard New Member

You pretty much have to get it done now or later, so maybe go talk to the teacher and see what can be done to get it done and behind you for this semester.

Or if you've already bombed, take it over the summer. 5 week classes are great (although you can't miss ANY days).

3. RebootEnzo

RebootEnzo New Member

Yeah but I don't even know where to start for the speech. I have tried a few different things and practice them but they are just bad. It is suppose to be a funny speech that has the format of stand up comedy somewhat.

4. Amanda Ann

Amanda Ann New Member

Find a topic that relates to your audience, like college humor. What do you and your friends joke about? What is funny and "hot" on your campus? Has anything "big" happened on your campus that people are angry about? Start with thinking of a topic that your audience can relate to..

5. RebootEnzo

RebootEnzo New Member

This is what I wanted to read and I chopped it to make it shorter but it didn't feel very stand up..

6. stormywaters

stormywaters Tornadoes are just wind...

Is your problem writing the speech or giving the speech?

7. RebootEnzo

RebootEnzo New Member

Yeah, I don't know how to write stand up.

8. stormywaters

stormywaters Tornadoes are just wind...

Pretend (or for real) talk to a friend about the topic. That relaxed feeling you have will make the jokes just come. When I had my speech class my problem was also writing the speeches. (I'm a communications studies major so I had/have a lot of speeches). I used to give them to my boyfriend for practice and ideas.

9. RebootEnzo

RebootEnzo New Member

Speeches don't really bother me unless outside of my field. I am dead though I don't think I will be ready Monday :( I read tons of funny sites for 2 hours.. I dunno.

10. civicmon

civicmon got all my game from the streets of california.

I took 4 speech classes and considered a minor in speech communications.

Public speaking is tough but it gets very easy after you practice it. I can do it now and get in front of 100+ people, as long as I know what I am talking about, no problem.

11. Amanda Ann

Amanda Ann New Member

Agreed. Although not public speaking, I have found counseling and interviewing my patients (in front of supervisors, peers, and family members) has become much easier as I did it more often. I never had a problem public speaking, I always felt comfortable doing so, and that was always commented upon. It's in the way you deliver what you want to say. You have to evoke emotion and confidence in what you are saying. Your topic sounds great... it's nice how you involve the audience from the get go, too. Just make sure when you deliver this speech you keep your tone light, but make sure you convey confidence that it's amusing.

12. RebootEnzo

RebootEnzo New Member

Think I might read this..

13. RebootEnzo

RebootEnzo New Member

Ever miss so many classes it feels impossible to go back.

14. ToyTundra

ToyTundra slanted soundstage

yes. The only way I can get back into the groove is to suck it up and walk through the doors. after the first day it get easier because the unknown is gone. If the class is really interactive talking with the professor/TA will ease the shock of going back and help out your grade with some "pity points."

15. RebootEnzo

RebootEnzo New Member

lol I haven no pity point left having missed like 11 days.

16. Amanda Ann

Amanda Ann New Member

Just try to finish out the semester.

Or, talk to the professor, and ask him if there's any chance of passing the class from this point forward? If he asks why you missed, don't make up some bullshit excuse, professors have heard it all and will see right through it. If it's all put out on the table for you, and you can see passing is feasible with some hard work, the feeling of fear might diminish. If it's not possible, withdraw and take a W? :dunno: I'd rather have a W on my transcript than an F.

17. RebootEnzo

RebootEnzo New Member

Yeah thats another thing I am kicking myself for I could have withdraw 3 days ago but I thought I could pull through, that was before the current speech and more days missed...

Thats the the thing, I don't lie or whine to professor about those things. While other students will say something like my dog, died Im sorry blah blah. I will just be like "I just didn't come to class"

18. Amanda Ann

Amanda Ann New Member

Well talk to him about it then.. he might be understanding. He'll also tell you what you do need to do (if anything...) to pass the class. Worrying doesn't do anything to solve the problem. You can't solve it until you start taking action.

19. Yuppy

Yuppy Have a seat right there....

dont write anything, wing it, the class and the teacher will respect your confidence. just make like 3 main bullet points you watn to talk about before hand and do your reseach on the subject.

20. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

A difficult life lesson is that you need to finish what you start, after the fall the only thing you can do is stand up and walk again towards the finish line.

You don't have to do it alone, we can help supporting you :wavey: , also OT tutoring is the place to be to get some help for your speeches. You don't become stronger by letting your weaknesses become even weaker, what it needs is all the holy might and power into exactly the opposite and positive direction, so don't think about it, just do it.

21. Mars Princess

Mars Princess They hatin'

Good advice :)

You can write the best speech in the world, but if you fail to relax and deliver it like you believe in what you have written/will be speaking, that will come across in the speech. Don't be such a perfectionist. Have fun with your work when it starts to stress you out.

Hope your speech goes well

22. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

Talk to your teacher ASAP. Ask if it's possible for you to even pass at this point considering how many days you've missed. He/she might be cool and give you some kind of extra assignment to pass.

Do you really want to fail such an easy class and have that on your record?

23. RebootEnzo

RebootEnzo New Member

Wouldn't be the first time I have failed an easy class for something stupid. I failed this one class online because I kept forgetting to log in at the correct times. I talked to one of my friends who took the class and he said the only people who failed were the ones that didn't go to class...

I mean I have missed 10 days at -10 points per day and me having a C on everything in else, -100 points more than likely brings me down to a D.:wtc:

24. Mars Princess

Mars Princess They hatin'

If your college or university has a workshop on how to manage time or some other topic most people don't take seriously, I would go to one of them. If you can't keep on top of things and adhere to deadlines, that's going to affect you in more than just school. :)

25. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

Drop the class and retake it next term/year. It's probably a required class...you'll have to do it eventually.