SRS I am starting to get depressed with life.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by kroneX, Mar 17, 2009.

1. kroneX

kroneX New Member

I am starting to get depressed with life. I am 21 years old and here is my sitatuion

Situation 1

1. I graduated with a BSc in Ecology and Conservation Biology like 3 months ago and i can't get a job. This is a lot due to the recession and I am starting to get depressed

2. I am enrolling into masters and hoping to ride the recession out and graduate with master in Ecology and Conservation Biology, but i don't even know if that will garentee me a job. Although it would put me in aiming position for my masters

3. I have never really lived life. I have a great group of friends and despite being from overseas i yearn to travel, but I am so busy with study and I am paranoid about missing the boat and not being able to get into masters when i get back that i have to do it now.

4. I will probably ending up for a corporation i hate and whose ideologies i hate to get a job by cleaning up there mess.

My Question for this section is.
    a)Is my plan to study masters during the recession a good idea?
    b)Travelling one day is my hope and dream but i don't see it happening in the near future, this makes me really depressed.
    c) Do most people work for a company whose ideals and practices fly in the face of what you beleive in, and how do you get by if that is my most probably way of making a living...

Situation 2
    1. I am a really fun guy to my friends and everyone, especially drunk on the town with them but there is a more sobre side to me, I am fairly political (not in a leftist/right wing sense) I am more of an anarchist. I am not a punker (although i listen to punk music) I dress normally and do stuff everyone does.

2. My beleifs on the world are similar to that of the Unabomber manifesto. I am not an activist, i keep my ideas to myself and only my closest friends know a scratch of what i beleive. I am nervous they will look at my different for my beleifs.

3. My beleifs are depressing to me and I see myself as no more than a tiny amount of particles within the universe. My favorite scientists have said some words on the matter that cheer me up for example Carl Sagan: "To live on in the hearts of others is to never die". But i find the constant purposelessness of industrial society demeaning to me and humans in general, not to mention the environmental damage it has exacted on other miraculous products of evolution.

My Question for this section is.
    a) do any other people have depressing beleifs or ideologies that are depressing to them and why do you keep them? Even if they make sense to you? I hope im not alone with this
    b) I am totally against industrial society but will probably end up working for the system as another cog in the corporate machine, does anyone else have similar beleifs and how do they justify what they do for a living if this is so?

2. situation 1:

more education is always a good thing, but you dont have to rush if it is really stressing you out. you are way ahead of the game right now.
    i am 21 and dont have my bachelors yet (working on it). most ppl our age dont even have school in their minds yet. there is no rush.

as for the job, lots of ppl cant find jobs right now. if you look hard enough though, you will find a company that doesnt conflict with your morals too much. i think in most jobs though there will be some kind of issue or particular project you wont completely agree with.

3. situation 2
    a. wow, we are very alike. i have similar feelings. i always think about how little and insignificant our lives our. i really dont see any point in this, considering that we are all going to be gone and forgotten when its over... i mean i dont think anyone will care who you or I was in 50 years you know?

b. ha, same thing for me... although i carry these beliefs, i work for a decent size corporation, and i guess i dont really justify it... i just, uh show up pretty much for the $

4. having said all that, i just try to do things for 'instant gratification' im not saying you should, and i dont hurt other ppl or anything, but i just do things to make myself feel good in the short term, b/c i dont see any happiness in the long term

5. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

The biggest issue I see here is getting a job. Once you get a job a lot of the other issues become non issues because you don't have time and energy to think about em. What do you mean by corporate morals conflicting with yours? Most corporations do not go out of their way to screw people over and I don't even notice any moral issues at my work except when people get fired due to downsizing, which sucks but thats just how it works.

I dono about the masters degree. If its paid for, I'd say go for it, if its not, its a bit more risky cause who knows where the economy will be in 2-3 years. I think once you get a job and you start seeing some money rolling in everything will suddenly become much less stressful. You can save up money to travel and have fun without worrying about having to pay your rent or for food. Might be a while till you find a decent job but I think it will solve a lot of your problems.

6. mg

mg OT Supporter

a) i think your plan to pursue higher education (during any time) is a good idea.
    b) you speak of the "near future" as though you're 70 years old or something :mamoru:.. you're only 21 and already received a BS; you're so far ahead of a lot of people our age (i'm 22 and graduating after this spring). i know a lot of people my age who have prolonged their undergraduate career at the expense of traveling, partying, etc. - go travel.
    c)
    :werd:

7. kroneX

kroneX New Member

8. kroneX

kroneX New Member

thank you guys for your responses. I am now looking to enrol in my masters course, but I am going to talk to a few people in the industry before i commit myself.

I know my problems arn't as serious as others here so i really appreciate the time you guys spent replying to my post. And also feel free to keep the advise coming!

9. mg

mg OT Supporter

you should look into getting your masters overseas so you can knock out 2 birds with 1 stone

10. kroneX

kroneX New Member

Haha i would do that but i have commitments here in Australia