I am so fucked! v. Absent Boss + Evil Project

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deusexaethera, Mar 29, 2006.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

A few weeks ago, a guy who worked for us quit practically on the spot. He'd been working for a government agency for 2.5 years, basically taking care of any and all of their IT needs. He got wrapped around the axle on this one website project right before he quit, and it fell in our lap to continue the work.

The guy was a typical programmer; no documentation, code that was written with no big-scheme-of-things on paper or in mind, the quickest and dirtiest kluge he could come up with to make any given feature work. Needless to say, it's fragile and it never worked right. So, I get to remote-link a SQL Server database to the website, update a bunch of ASP pages to access/modify the extra data added to the server, and come up with a whole new way to generate graphical reports with that data (Office Web Components didn't work well enough).

I have no prior knowledge on how to use ANY of these technologies (refer to my web-ignorance in a prior thread), I don't have an expense account to buy reference books with, my boss (who knows how to do this stuff) is on travel, and it has to be done, on-site, by the end of next week.

If I ever see that guy again I'll kill him.

2. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Jasper is your friend.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

4. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

If you're generating graphical reports, look into Jasper. JFreeReports and BIRT are other options. Lots of free stuff out there, no need to reinvent the wheel.