I am ready to stab itunes in the jaw (duplicates)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Milin, Jul 29, 2006.

1. Milin

Milin It's Terminal.

so...i use the following 3 programs on my mac

Itunes, Ourtunes, and Limewire

the problem is that limewire and ourtunes don't automatically add themselves to itunes's automated list, so I have a lot more music than itunes recognizes, but I can't always keep track of what it has and what it doesnt have.

so i tried this: I tried to add my music/ directory with all the ourtunes stuff...and it made like a couple thousand duplicates

no problem i had my old itunes library file backed up.

the problem is how do I add about 800 songs to my library that are mixed in the same folder I have been downloading to without creating about a million duplicate files?

Also, how do I get my files from limewire to automatically enter into my library so I can burn them to a CD?

2. urban ape

urban ape take that take that take that

go into itunes prefs
    click the advanced tab
    turn off copy files to itunes music folder when adding to library
    clear library **you can do this without deleting the files**
    drag and drop your folder with all your songs into where it says library
    play songs
    ??????
    profit

once your library is all in one place (itunes music library where it should be) turn 1)auto organize and 2) copy files to itunes music folder when adding back on, and youll never have to mess with the physical library ever again.

as for limewire, i'm not sure at the moment but ill look

Last edited: Jul 29, 2006
  3. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

auto enter is a nightmare for me. I like to manage my music manually and it isn't hard at all. I just did like the above and turned off create duplicates and don't have limewire add the files on their own. I like to rename the stupid file names people give them before putting them into iTunes. This also allows me to edit the music tag if it is messed up too.

4. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

and for cleaning up the mess, edit > show duplicate songs

5. Milin

Milin It's Terminal.

doesn't help much when you have like a thousand duplicates.

the other problem was itunes copied my songs into its library multiple times :(

I've gone and made a mess. It's gonna take allll day to clean it up now.
    I'm manually entering everything from now on.

the question is...

I did this: I moved ALL my mp3s back into the itunes folder, deleted my old library file and then re-added the itunes music library folder. I am now using Idupe to delete my duplicate files that were created.

from here ....how do I get everything nice and organized in there? What settings do I use?
    If I tell it to copy all my files into my itunse directory, is it going to recopy everything in my library over again?
    IF I tell it to organize my files, will it actually do that?

Help me out here folks. Thanks so much for all the help youve already given me.
    I don't want to mess up my laptop right before leaving the country for an entire year and not having access to ANY english speaking help :(

6. aphoric

aphoric Even if god did exist, it would be necessary to ab

why do you need 3 programs to listen to music?

7. doublemeat

doublemeat New Member

Acquisition FTW.

Although it's nagware like a muthafucker, it blends seamlessly with iTunes. Makes its own playlist and adds songs automatically.

8. Milin

Milin It's Terminal.

not 3 programs to listen.

3 programs to acquire music.

9. urban ape

you know if you have it set to "keep music folder organized" that itunes will automatically move your songs to the proper folder for you as soon as you change the tag.

10. urban ape

itunes ideally is supposed to be set up to where, anytime you add a song to your playlist or edit a tag it handles everything for you behind the scenes (adding, adjusting tags, moving files, etc).

its been so long since ive seen my actual library (9000 songs) that i dont even know the directory anymore. when an mp3 hits my desktop, i double click it and then itunes adds a copy to the proper directory. after that you can just trash the copy on the desktop. the tag is fucked up? no problem, just get info, adjust it, and itunes will even create a directory for it if theres not already one.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2006
  11. Milin

Milin It's Terminal.

see i guess I just don't know what to do when I download like 50-100 mp3's from OurTunes in order to get them into my itunse correctly. :o

12. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

just download the files to a folder outside the Music folder (I created a downloads folder on my desktop) and manage your downloads there before putting them into your permanent folder.

here is what I do: I download my music and it automatically stores it in a downloads folder (i tell limewire where to save it). Once there, I rename the file, if needed, see if the quality is good, then drop it into a playlist in iTunes. After I add it to the iTunes playlist, I move the file to the music folder and iTunes will update the change for me. thats how I manage my music.

13. Pitt

Pitt 1-1-11 — Never Forget OT Supporter

that's nothing... I was trying to switch my library over to a new drive and insanity ensued.

being sneaky, I thought I'd copy it over myself, then switch the itunes folder, because it would be quicker.
    after I did that I clicked consolidate library and it started making copies of all my songs anyway. :run: It got through about 600 or so before i noticed this.

so i had to cancel it, switch the folder option back to the first hard drive, then delete the music off the second, then have itunes copy it all over, then point the 600 songs back to the right location 1 by 1 because when it copied them, the database file pointed to the "songname 1.mp3" instead of the original.

:Ownedd:

14. TheManLouisianaFace

TheManLouisianaFace and decide!

:rofl: I owned myself one time by erasing my ipod on a new osx machine - fucking autosync

thank god I had it all backed up on my external hd

15. urban ape

its ok, most people dont realize how powerful itunes is. i didnt fully understand it until i edited a tag one day and i went to look for the file and itunes moved it for me :eek4:.

if itunes is set up 'correctly' , you should never have to touch your actual library. all music management can be handled through the itunes interface. (ripping, tagging, organization, burning, eq adjustments, volume leveler, sound enhancers, album art, etc etc.)

if you have acquisition it makes the deal even sweeter. acquisition will add the songs you download directly to your library, make a copy for you, and then delete the original file you downloaded all within a second of completed download. its seamless and makes a LOT of sense.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2006
  16. Pitt

Pitt 1-1-11 — Never Forget OT Supporter

:werd:
    I :rofl:ed at the article that said that itunes was a "top 5" reason to switch from ipod to zune. :mamoru2:

17. urban ape

yeah, it probably shouldnt bother me that people use other mp3 players because hey its a free country. i just feel like if they knew itunes potential, it wouldnt even be argueable. itunes has 11ty billion features that make winamp look like a fuckin joke. it just takes a little time and thinking to fully set it up and get the system streamlined. although, some of these kids probably just cant live without being able to skin their player, and hey i get it, i am a sucker for eye candy too. maybe the next iteration of itunes will have some alternate skins. :hs:

i just honestly dont know how i would manually manage over nine thousand songs. theres really no competition. maybe i should make an edu for all the non believers in the main forum :o :)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2006