SRS I am posting on here about another OTer who I care for...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by pharmokan, Jan 27, 2010.

1. pharmokan

pharmokan OT Supporter

and whose life is spinning dangerously out of control.

some of you know him, he has posted on here before in the asylum, his name was oren. his ot name i shall remain to keep anonymous.

oren basically has a very severe case of bipolar disorder. hes the youngest sibling of 3 brothers, and possesses the most severe case of bipolar disorder out of the three of them.

the only reason i am making this thread is because i really do not know how to deal with his problem anymore. to me its very strange that a person can look normal, sound normal, but is in fact not normal. ive been dealing with it for 12 years knowing this OTer IRL. oren and i just had our birthdays come and go today. yes we have the same birthday 1 year apart from each other, and we are considered like solar twins. he is my best friend and ever since i moved far away from him, things have gone down hill for him.

i want to let you know oren is in the hospital right now. he threatened to kill someone, and became very depressive, a side which i rarely see, because he usually has non-stop episodes of mania ever since the doctors took him off lithium because it was killing his liver/kidneys. somehow i think that was the worst decision they could have ever made. because ever since, he has been in and out of hospitals, unphased of his condition, continuing to think his manic episode is one long marathon of reality. well today it really hit me when he forcefully was placed in the psych ward on his birthday-- that my best friend, is not the normal guy i thought he was this past decade of knowing him.

i have a hard time acknowledging that my friend is not normal. why is it so hard for bipolar people to listen to other people? they never take anyone's advice. they do their own thing no matter what. he had so much support not just from me, but from his family who was giving him a place to stay, food to eat, money for work. his sponsors, and his other friends too. he chooses to walk down a line that he drew out himself, no matter how many people tell him the line he drew, isn't as straight as he thinks it is.

so it feels good getting that out of my system. i am frustrated, annoyed, angry, and at the same time sad that i cannot do anything for him. this is a thread to help my friend, suggestions that can be fed from here through me to him, on a personal solar-twin-best-friend level, a relationship that is sacred to both of us. any help on what to do and how to get my friend oren over the hill of this horrible parasitic disease is appreciated.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  2. VA197

VA197 New Member

honey, please remember that this is an illness...just like diabetes or MS. He cannot help it. The doctors, by removing his lithium, changed the chemistry in his brain, making it impossible for him to think rationally. Your friend is still there, deep inside, he just needs that time in the hospital to get on the right meds to straighten his chemistry out again so the 'real Oren' can surface again from the fog and begin living life normally again.

Don't give up on him. He is not lost, he is just swirled up in the confusion and myriad of psychotic messages that his brain is sending out right now. He will come out of this with time and the right treatment. Don't be angry, it's not his fault. The best thing you can do is remain his friend. Go visit him, write to him, call him if they let him have calls, he will remember after he is better that you were there for him. Love im as your brother, and do not abandon him. this is a frightening time for him, never forget that. He needs you now.

And pray for him, he's going to need every bit of strength and help he can get.

God Bless

3. Nite_Lilly

Nite_Lilly Member

In the hospital the doctors can figure out which meds will get him better. He'll have to take the meds whether he thinks he needs them or not. He's not rational right now and can't make good decisions for himself. Give it some time and do what you can to communicate with the side of him that you love. That's all you can do, leave the rest for the drs.

4. pharmokan

pharmokan OT Supporter

the doctors were the ones that messed up in the first place. they replaced his lithium with klonopins. i mean, wtf? :ugh:

that only got him more manic. is there any safe alternative to lithium? he tried 2 months to adjust to all types of medications even while in the hospital. the doctors were forced to let him leave on his own, which he was in no state of mind to do, and he ended up back in the hospital 1 week later.

does it ever get up to the point where in order to stay out of the hospital, he has to get switched back to lithium but will inevitably die sooner from kidney failure?
    i dont understand how things will be if nothing else works... i sure dont want to see him in the hospital forever.

5. RyRy

RyRy Active Member

Has he tried anything like Depakote, Lamictal, Seroquel, Topomax etc? Trading lithium for klnonopin seems far fetched to me (as someone who has experience with dealing with bipolar 1 people). Best of luck and hang in there for your friend

6. GFlem

GFlem New Member

lithium is pretty old-school.

my girl is on Geodon. it's an anti-psychotic, but she has a fairly severe case of bipolar.

7. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

I wish I felt like I had something to help you and your friend but I don't. This thread saddens me because I have close friends and I would hate to watch them go through such a difficult time as you described.

I can however relate to the powerlessness and anger you expressed. Hang in there and try not to let the pain cause you to become more calloused and bitter towards others. Instead try to let it soften your heart and attitude towards others in this world.