SRS I am NOT going to get high today v. first time in months

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by remike, Jul 14, 2005.

1. remike

remike the second coming

Well, I'm a certifiable pothead (and have been for about 2.5 years now). I don't even get high anymore, I just get lazy. I have friends that have quit smoking, and they all tell me the same thing: you eventually get bored with it. I think I've finally gotten to that point. I've been sitting here looking at my pieces and my sack for the past couple hours and haven't touched it yet. I have thought about this many times in the past, but now I really think I should slow down with this shit. I will be posting here off and on. I get off work at 9, which is one of my favorite times to smoke. I'm going to try my damnedest to not do it.

Issue 2 - cigs... I don't smoke them very often, but have a feeling that my tobacco habit will become exagerated when I'm not getting high.

I seriously spend the majority of my day in a THC haze, and I'm finally done with it (for a while, anyways). Could I get some words of encouragement? Mostly from people that have had to deal with this before, because I really don't think people that don't get high understand.

Thank you.

Edit: Any tricks about not becoming a huge drinker? I like to drink and pot kinda keeps me away from the bottle. I know I'm throwing a lot of shit out there, but any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2005
  2. Esby

Esby New Member

If you want to be successful in your plan to not smoke, step one is to get rid of your bag of weed. If you have it on you, you will start to rationalize about it. "Well, I didn't smoke last night, so I'll just take 2 hits this morning... That way I'm still kind of quitting."

3. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

If you feel like smoking weed keeps you away from the bottle, and you'll be smoking a lot of cigarettes when you aren't getting high, you sound like me. I'm a drug addict, even though I've been clean for 18 months. You really should check out a meeting of Narcotics Anonymous or Marijuana Anonymous. Alcoholics Anonymous wouldn't be a bad bet either. Just check it out and see if you can relate to what people are sharing about, not only that it will keep your mind busy and off the weed. You might not really be an addict, and you might have no problem quitting and never touching it again, but it would be much better if you knew for sure by attending a meeting.

The people at meetings (myself included) are the ones who know what you're going through. We've been there before, we understand, not like those who never got high. You can socialize with people who've been to the same places you've been, not people who simply look down upon drug users. Check it out.

4. remike

remike the second coming

It's in a safe place now, but is soon going to leave my house and become the property of a friend.

5. remike

remike the second coming

Sorry, but AA and NA creep me out. If I end up seeking professional help, I am not going to consider either of these. I have done my research and made up my mind on this issue, I'd really not like to talk about it any further.

So, I got off work early. I'm going to hit the gym instead of hit the pipe. :p

6. Obnoxious

Obnoxious OG as fuck.

Be strong brotha.

7. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

Creep you out? Time to grow up and open your mind. Where'd you do research at?

8. remike

remike the second coming

It's quite cultish. I really don't want to talk about it any further. It is not for me. Not in any way.

9. Obnoxious

Obnoxious OG as fuck.

Just thought I'd check back and see how you're doing.

10. metoots13

metoots13 New Member

hmm, it really isn't cultish, talk to members, talk to other folks, somehow you got a misconception about 12-step programs, there is one for every kind of addiction or problem. the only way to really find out what its like is to check one out and go for a couple meetings and listen for similarities to yourself, not the differences.

you would be surprised at the diversity of the people in meetings, they just meet because they have the common bond of addiction and want to do something about their problem.

11. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

No offense but I've paid attention to the content of your posts and to be quite frank, you ARE closed-minded. Considering how much you like to debate things, feel free to PM me and we can get into logistics if you want. I think you're just dismissing it before you understand it.

12. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

You know nothing about it. You aren't in any kind of position to make that kind of judgment. The fact is you are closed-minded, and you don't have enough information to make any kind of rational decision. Don't just pass judgment like "it's cultish" or "it's whack" without providing any kind of reason, and saying you don't want to talk about it. That's like me saying "Well you're an idiot, but I don't want to talk about it, that's just the way it is."

13. remike

remike the second coming

I am doing very well. I slipped up while drunk, but considering the amnount that I used to smoke, I consider this to be OK. I am familiar with 12 step programs, I was in one for a little while. It really isn't for me. I know it works for some people, but I want to take control of my addiction. I don't want to "surrender to a higher power." I know that I this is a choice and that I am in control of my own destiny. I have been to the meetings, I have read the literature. I will never go again.

Edit: BTW, why don't you think that they publish their success rate?

14. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

You aren't clean if you're still drinking. If you don't surrender to the fact that you are powerless over your addiction, and you are indeed an addict, you won't recover. What do you think the success rate of an addict who doesn't partcipate in a 12-step fellowship. I know one person who has stayed clean for 10+ years without a program, and 30+ within the program. I know many more who have not stayed clean and decided to "venture on their own." That should tell you something. But yeah, keep on drinking, that's the way to stay clean.

15. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

If you don't want to surrender, then you think that its just still in your abilities to get clean/sober. If thats the case, and you have any success with it, then you weren't really hopelessly addicted. You can't really claim to "have been addicted" because addiction is a cyclical pattern of behavior that is unstoppable on self-will.

Furthermore, how do you define "success rate"? It would also be in violation of the traditions to publish such data. AA wouldn't do it, but I'm sure since you read the literature, you already knew that.

However, if you want to look at the medical evidence from peer-reviewed studies, feel free to research at pubmed:
    Do you need any more? Third parties, legitimate peer-reviewed studies, have determined that the methods employed by 12-step fellowships are superior and effective.

16. remike

remike the second coming

I guess I'll be taking my chances without the 12 steps. I am not hopelessly addicted. I am not trying to become completely clean. I enjoy getting fucked up every once-in-a-while. I'm just cutting back because I feel that I am finally having undesired effects from my substance use. I am moving in with new roomates on Thursday that never get high. I am actively seperating myself from the temptation. I know the 12 steppers will think that I am doomed, but that's my problem. If you guys are serious about recovery, please just lend me support instead of simply preaching the 12 steps. I respect you guys and what you do. Please give me the same luxury.

17. Demon Of Dreams

Demon Of Dreams Feed me with lies and hate, and from that, I will

you do realize, that a true addict is one who cannot admit they are an addict, right?

how long before you switch from your "once in awhile" back to what you used to do?

Thats what we're worried about.
    We cannot glorify usage, and its harder to help those out there who don't think they have a problem and still want to get fucked up every so often. Its like a lost cause, because while we're struggling daily with ours, you're shoving it into our face that hey, its still out there, and its ok if I do it, just not all the time.

We're here because we gave it all up for good.
    Not just cut back.

What bothers me is that you want to use the program and its people for help, however, you're not wanting the full effect, you just want to "slow down" ... I assume thats fine with some people, but you're going to look like a douchebag going into those rooms or talking to those people saying "Oh I'm just here to learn how to cut back my usage, not quit" ...

if you feel you are willing to drop everything completely for awhile, and try out the program, see where it gets you, without resorting back to your usage even lightly, you may be surprised. And if after awhile you don't feel its for you, leave, thats all there really is to it.

But do everyone a favor and don't inform them of your intentions, nor go to those rooms/boards while using or under the influence.

Its common courtesy

18. metoots13

metoots13 New Member

thanks dod

common courtesy goes a long way sometimes

since this is road to recovery, not road to use sometimes, I agree completely. We are here for the suffering addict/alcoholic to give support and feedback, I have no feedback or support for someone who doesn't want what we have, there is no use for me to encourage anything but abstinence and a 12 step program.

19. remike

remike the second coming

You guys are really starting to frustrate me. There are many different methods of "recovery" than 12 step programs. I have personally witnessed many individuals involved in 12 steps with success for years relapse because of its all-or-nothing attitude. I will define my own recovery. I don't need to take part in your definition of recovery. Even if I did want to practice total abstinence, I would never step foot into another 12 step program.

I thought you guys were here to help rather that just cram the 12 steps down my throat. I was very wrong.

20. lastrain13

lastrain13 Not Awaiting Approval

Good luck quitting! Also remeber there are plenty of better things to spend your money on then drugs.

21. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

But the best ones are 12-step programs, no?
    Wow, you have not only the ability to draw inferences on causation from observations, but you also apparently are blessed with the ability to "define your own recovery".

I still don't think you know what 12-step recovery is all about. Among other things, it involves abstinence, fellowshipping with others who share in the recovery process, and helping others. To facilitate those three goals, this forum was created. Its not created to teach people to moderate or invent their own recovery. You could have figured that out quite soon if you had simply read the rules and the other stickies in this forum.

22. remike

remike the second coming

No kidding. Thanks for the support. I wish I could say the same to the rest of these people.

23. remike

remike the second coming

Take your 12 steps and shove them. I came here for help and support. Most of you just want to preach your bullshit.

24. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

I think he just didn't read your entire thread. You're not really "quitting."

25. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

:wavey: