SRS I am messing up my life.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by RebootEnzo, Aug 23, 2008.

1. RebootEnzo

RebootEnzo New Member

I am one term from being a Jr. and after failing my math classes again, which is all I have left, and then being told to go see a counselor which in turn told me I was not serious enough about college and that I should just think about dropping out. So I tossed my plan of living at home until I finished college, did not sign up for classes this fall, started working again and moved out into a very nice place with new roommates.

I felt happy for about a week then realized I feel like crap for not being in school because I have zero since of accomplishment everyday. Not to mention I threw away my 100% paid for scholarship with living expenses and health insurances.

I might suck at classes outside of my major but I do enjoy my profession which brings me to another point. My major is useless. I am a History major with minor in education. Just about nothing I can do with it and I read on forums all the time of people with degrees like mine getting out of college making 8 dollars an hour.

I want to go back to college already but not here. I fucking hate it here and their god damn super high standards. All my friends are doctors, engineers and lawyers with perfect grades. I just think if I move away I might be even more unhappy...

I just don't see how some people can accept working making 8 dollars an hour and be happy. If my mom did not pay my car insurance I would be fucked.

2. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

Hey man, you don't have to go to university/college to be successful. It's not like completing a program there gives you a magical certificate that makes you intelligent and gets you a good paying job.

Just like you said, sometimes a degree is worthless. There is nothing wrong with a major in History... my best friend is a History Major (he just switched into a double major, one being History) and he absolutely loves it. Hell, one of my majors is Philosophy (taking a dbl Major as well) and whenever I tell people I'm in that, they always give me a :ugh: face. Do I care? Hell no. Let people make their assumptions, it shouldn't make a difference to you.

You have to be happy doing what you do, man. Whether it's going to school or finding something else. But, if you don't want to go to school, you HAVE to find something else... you need a skill to get you through life. Just try to find something you enjoy doing, something you can make a living with, and train in it? Not sure what else to advice, just know that a lot of us (including myself) have been in that position you are currently in :hs: Just spend some time trying to think about what you could see yourself doing? It may not always be that simple though...

3. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

I thought you were an engineering major? :ugh:

And yeah, the major you choose really should be thought out. I originally was a Psych major. I loved it more than anything but I knew that if I didn't go for my Master's degree it would mean pretty much nothing, so I switched to Communications which I ended up loving and have a wide range of things I can do with my degree.

Sorry you had to find out the hard way that college is beneficial. Most people I knew who dropped out regretted it horribly. Why not switch schools? UF's standards are too fucking high. You can most likely get into USF and it's not only a good school but a fun, laid back one.

However, you've always had (IMO) a horrible view on work and money. I remember one of the first threads I read by you was how you thought it was pointless to work and make $8/hour, but guess what? If you aren't willing to put in all the work to make and find a better job that pays more you can't whine about it. You would talk about how you wanted to be rich as if life isn't worth living without tons of money. Amazing lucrative jobs don't fall usually into the laps on college dropouts, so think about that.

4. RebootEnzo

RebootEnzo New Member

I was but like many other people who declare this as a major I failed math. Besides I have always felt pushed to be one because I grew up around it. Oh, I really like my job the people are great and I get good discounts or free stuff; however, my back hurting plus hardly making enough to pay my rent, phone, internet just does not work. Not only that I wont be able to maintain my social class I don't start making more money. Everyone around me is going to get jobs making 80K plus...

Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  5. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

The councellers advice was trash, its NEVER a good idea to drop out of school, throwing the towel in the ring in life is the WORST thing to do.

Although he was right in that it would relieve the pressure on short term, its not right on the long term.

You have to be a good boy and do the things in life that are right for you. You need to throw all the things away in life that are negative for you, and you need to understand that there's nothing to gain for you in those things that make you stop from doing that what you have to do.

Life is like a staircase, you HAVE to climb it, to reach the top and its going to take a hell of a lot of effort to reach the top.

The ONLY thing that works is to 'set' everything aside, and ONLY focus on your math classes.

Listen to me when i say that 'there is no honour in giving up' what reward is there for those who give up in life? NOTHING so you know that giving up is never an option.

Persistance is the key to succes, Go back to your math classes and overcome!

6. RebootEnzo

RebootEnzo New Member

Well I am signed up for math only problem is this professor has no rating which is never good.

7. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Yeah, and you are going to let others determine the outcome of your life? Stop blaming your professors. Don't even blame god. You are responsible for who you are. If you want to change who you are, do it. Blaming your genes or your invisible friend and continuing to live the lifestyle you hate will get you nowhere. Accept that you dug the hole you are in, now you've gotta pull yourself out of it if that is indeed what you want to do.

Bring the power of your life back where it belongs, namely in YOUR hands. I know its not nice but even having the WORST professor shouldn't stop you from working hard to achieve your goals. Or in other words ' YOU DO THE MATH'

8. phrxn

phrxn New Member

I see so many friends relying on ratemyprofessors.com and its not always them thats at fault...you gotta take it yourself.

You need to show potential employersthat you're not going to give up, especially in college. Even though it has nothing to do with your major, do well at it and graduate at it to show that you have the ability to do so. That will determine your willingness to pursue another career in another field.

Whether its History or Engineering, you need to be walking out of college with a B.S. (in general terms, may not be for everyone though and we all understand the Bill Gates story).

9. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

:bowrofl: :bowrofl: :bowrofl: :ugh: Is that so? You sure have some realistic standards. Getting a B.S. in history? :hsugh:

10. phrxn

phrxn New Member

Well...I guess I'm an engineering major...but havinga B.S. allows you to get an MBA, JD, MD and opens so many doors if you want to do something else. As long as you have a high GPA and a good test score, whats the problem?

Its better than having no degree at all. I know history majors are looked down upon but whose to say you cant get a PhD and become a professor, teacher...while they dont make much $, it is respectable

11. iwishyouwerebeer

But let me guess, the people who will supposedly be making the $80k a year are engineering majors? You have too high of expectations. It's not like they did nothing to deserve those jobs and that kind of pay. I have numerous friends who are engineering majors and while they also got out of college and right into a job paying $60k+ you can't be so naive and assume everyone makes that. Fuck, I'd say the large majority of fresh-out-of-college kids get under $40k a year in their jobs.

You always focus too much on the actual number as well. I was extremely broke for a while and now I make $40k and am beyond content financially. I've already been on 2 expensive trips since my new job and am going on a 3rd next week. I always have plenty of money left over every month after bill paying. Saying you don't want to make $8 an hour for the rest of your life is totally understandable, but you are living in that OT fantasy if you think you're magically going to be handed a job (without a college degree and hard work) that makes even close to 6 figures.

My father and aunt both make 6 figures and neither went to college at all. However, that has a lot to do with the fact that they got their jobs many years ago. They both say they have been turned down to move higher into the company because the jobs are now given to 27 year old guys with degrees even though they've been there for decades.

And you complain about money, but let's be honest-how much money do you spend on beer, partying and fast food?

12. RebootEnzo

RebootEnzo New Member

I buy all my beer as bulk so I don't spend that much money and I only go to two bars when they have the all you can drink specials on the weekend. I am really cheap so it is not like I am broke all the time.

13. iwishyouwerebeer

that's all you have to respond to? :mamoru:

14. RebootEnzo

RebootEnzo New Member

No my friend came over before I had the chance to finish everything.

Anyways, I am taking one class to keep things kinda moving. Then 2 more in spring. After that I am moving in with my friend who parents are giving him a mansion for the most part. This is a good friend of mine who is in the exact position as me. I just hope I don't end up spending my days wasting away on the lakes with the Jet Ski's as that is what we always do when I go down south where I will be living.

Being down south may give me a chance to start an auto detailing business which is my passion and makes more then enough money. I have more then enough money to invest in starting a business but auto detailing has such a high failure rate. People might think I would not make much money but you can make 70K or more down south.

15. phrxn

phrxn New Member

If so many of these businesses fail, you need something to fall back on. I'm sure no one started a business with the intention of it failing...

16. iwishyouwerebeer

How do you have "more than enough" money to start a business but you barely have enough to pay bills and get by? :ugh:

17. lauren

lauren Active Member

because you don't live day to day on your savings/investment money? :hsugh:

18. iwishyouwerebeer

I'd think someone who complains about money as much as he does wouldn't have a problem using this mysterious source of extra cash he has hidden somewhere.

Curious to know where the money came from :noes:

19. lauren

lauren Active Member

why would that make a difference? i don't feel any differently pulling money from my earned savings vs gifted savings..... it's not for the electric bill regardless.

20. iwishyouwerebeer

My comment was merely shocked that he out of nowhere has some hidden source of money, enough to start a business. I was hoping he'd elaborate more but getting Brad to talk is like pulling teeth :squint: :rofl:

21. RebootEnzo

RebootEnzo New Member

Bingo

22. RebootEnzo

RebootEnzo New Member

Yeah I tried investing money at one point and lost 1k in Sirius radio.

23. iwishyouwerebeer

thank you for explaining things further via PM :)