SRS I am making this thread because...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by SubThermal, Apr 30, 2005.

1. SubThermal

SubThermal Colder than Cold

I had a great day...tonight me and two friends went to see a movie...now I'm sitting here feeling depressed and I don't want to look in a mirror because I'll get mad at myself for not being attractive.

there is no point to this thread...I just had to say it.

2. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Counseling.

Exercise.

3. Banana Mike

Banana Mike Guest

:hug:

Something I've realized recently is that there are a lot of clichés that seem so silly and overdone, but many of them are completely true. One of them is that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Something that may seem "unattractive" to another can look amazing in your eyes, or vice-versa. The only person who needs to find you attractive is the one true person who you want to spend the rest of your life with, and the great thing about that is that they'll probably think you really are the most beautiful person they've ever met. :hs:

4. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Werd. You know how much nookie I score with the "I like blonde bearded madmen," types? Okay... maybe not. But he's right. If you feel attractive... then you might as well BE attractive. Because you'll be treated as if you are. Which kinda makes you question the whole idea of objective beauty, doesn't it? The tricky part is feeling attractive. Its fucking hard. We're taught that we have to look a certain way, like a model, and if we don't... then we're ugly. Well, that is just plain bullshit. But its hard to shed our baggage in this area.

The only way to do it is to get some self esteem. You build self esteem by creating. Create friendships, create art, create goodness around you, create a house, create whatever. Build a bicycle. Grow a plant. Create something worthwhile. Anything. Create bodily strength (why do you think lifting is so popular?) What you create doesn't even have to be "good." Thats not the point. The point is to make SOMETHING. Your soul needs to create. It needs to externalize itself, to project its image onto the world around you. You are man, the tool builder. Creation gives you a kind of satisfaction that noone can take away from you. It gives you your center. You can build from there. But without that center... its hard to have self-esteem.

This is why adolesence is so hard. Teenagers don't create shit. Ever notice that the happiest teens are the ones that have art, music, etc? They're grounded in the act of creation and the sense of purpose that this gives you.

So forget about being ugly. Create something, and rejoice in that creation, and in time beauty will come to you. You will feel it, know it, live in it. It will be you.

P.S. Okay, thats pretty "profound," and new-age, but keep in mind I live in India where such talk is common, and I had a discussion about Erich Fromm the other day.

Speaking of which, consider reading, The Sane Society, by Erich Fromm if you like books. Any large library will have it, or look here: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...104-2222230-6197505?v=glance&s=books&n=507846 It explains how lasting happiness and sanity is only really attained through creation, and not though perfectionism or materialism. You will never be perfect, pretty enough, or have enough money, to be happy. Just doesn't work that way. Seeking those things often bring misery instead. Be true to yourself: create something.

5. Bean

Bean Guest

Incredibly insightful!

I must pick up that book at the library.

6. johan

johan Active Member

Actually that's one of the best things I've read in a long time. Fromm, eh? I've never actually read him, but sounds really worthwhile.

7. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Thanks, guys. Fromm is the teenagers guide to happiness despite being stuck in a culture of conformity.

8. SubThermal

SubThermal Colder than Cold

that is some of the best advice I've heard in years... (i mean your long post)

one of these days I'm gonna finish that flash animation I've been working on...thats creation for me

Last edited: May 13, 2005
  9. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

One of these days is today, if you wanna be happy.

www.fat-pie.com

See what you can accomplish with Flash? SALAD FINGERS!

10. bad_kitty

bad_kitty New Member

Salad Fingers make me feel like I am watching a car crash. But creative nonetheless

11. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Do you know what hurts? When you express her everything, all she wants in a man, and then she looks at your belly and frowns. Ouch.