I am going to try migrating to linux.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by karma, Nov 28, 2004.

1. karma

karma you reap what you sow

I have downloaded Suse 9.1 personal; Mandrake 10.1; and Fedora Core 3. Do all of these distros have the ability to automatically make a separate partition so that I can install on the same hard drive as Windows XP?

I have no linux experience what-so-ever, which is easiest to start with?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

do you have free space on your drive (not occupied by an existing partition) if so, then they will all work (I recommend FC3).

However, if you do not have space on your drive not taken by another partition, you'll need either another drive, or a partition resizing utility, such as partition magic.

3. karma

Ahhh... I do not have a partition not being used. But I do have Acronis True Image 8.0, which I believe I can create a new partition with. So I need to do that first with any of the distros?

4. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

i'm not sure about the other distro's, but suse can resize partitions i believe. Just boot it up and it will tell you what it will try to do before it actually does it. Give it a shot.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Suse cannot resize NTFS.

6. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

Oct 15, 2003 SUSE Linux 9.0 is able to resize NTFS partitions during installation. For this purpose YaST (Yet another Setup Tool) uses ntfsresize.

http://mlf.linux.rulez.org/mlf/ezaz/ntfsresize.html

:dunno:

7. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Yes it can. We did it on like half the machines we installed at our last installfest.

I would definitely recommend starting with SuSE. I'd say it's the best desktop distro out there for beginners. Very nice installer and it makes the transition extremely easy. Ubuntu is also very nice (nicer after the install I would say - the default Gnome 2.8 setup is nicer than SuSE's default KDE setup), but the installer is not quite as friendly. The SuSE installer will resize your Windows partition and then automatically configure the bootloader so you can choose which to use at boot. Probably a good idea to backup anything super-important from your Windows partition before installing just in case something goes wrong, but the SuSE installer is very user-friendly.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

NTFS writing is SOO dangerous on linux... I don't know how you could trust suse to resize an entire system (probably important to you) partition.

9. Penguin Man

It may be dangerous, but on probably 15 machines that we did it to at installfest we only had problems with one and in that case it was caused by a dead hard drive, not the resizing. Anyway, like I said, backup just in case. I would never install any OS without backing up my important stuff first.

10. xheliox

xheliox It's Good To Be King

It's funny how you change your story. A few hours ago, you were telling us that SUSE can't resize NTFS partitions... and now you're an expert on how dangerous it is.

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

first of all, I was unaware that suse added that feature (i don't use suse because I hated it back when i tried it) Now I did not insist that it's not in there after you said it was, so lay off.

And yes, I know a shitload about linux in general... So do you wanna argue that NTFS writing is a safe proposition? because gtfo if you are, you're a moron, then.

12. Penguin Man

How can you say you know a shitload about it when you obviously haven't installed a modern distribution?

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I am currently running Fedora Core 3... if that's not modern, then I don't know what is!

14. Penguin Man

I'd bet that FC3 can also resize NTFS partitions. Probably does it really well too.

15. xheliox

http://mlf.linux.rulez.org/mlf/ezaz/ntfsresize.html#reliable

1. Is it reliable? Yes, it is reliable. Since July of 2002, when ntfsresize became publicly available, there were countless success reports for both enlarging and shrinking Windows XP/2000/NT4, Windows Server 2003 and Longhorn NTFS filesystems on both workstation and server versions (Home, Professional, Server, Advanced Server). No destroyed filesystem was reported who followed the instructions correctly.

However, just like in case of any kind of partition manipulation software involved, we strongly recommend to have a backup of your data. You have anyway, haven't you? We did receive reports when popular commercial partitioners corrupted or destroyed data meanwhile ntfsresize worked fine or refused resizing to protect data, for example if it found NTFS were already inconsistent in its original state.

2. But isn't NTFS write experimental and dangerous? Not the usage of ntfsresize. There are many totally different NTFS implementations for Linux and people tend to confuse them. For example there are two completely different open source NTFS driver implementations for Linux, please see here the differences between them, they are referred as old and new. Moreover there are two complete read-write NTFS drivers, one of them is Jan Kratochvil's free Captive NTFS what uses Windows' own NTFS driver the Wine way, and the other read-write one is a commercial driver from Paragon.

Ntfsresize is completely based on the new Linux-NTFS source base, started from scratch and implemented highly carefully during continuous and extensive reliability testing. The changes needed to resize an NTFS are well understood furthermore ntfsresize has rigid safety checks, including a basic NTFS consistency check, and refuses to do the resize operation if it meets an inconsistent state, unsupported or suspicious condition.

16. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

i don't resize partitions (don't dual boot) so I wouldn't know.. however I don't remember seeing it on the changelist.. who knows, it might :shrugs:

17. xheliox

There's nothing in anaconda that allows ntfs resizing. RedHat (Fedora) avoids including any NTFS utilities because of software patent concerns.

18. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

k, so it doesn't use NTFS write.. fair enough...

19. Penguin Man

:ugh: I'm so glad I don't use Fedora.

20. xheliox

Dag, a very reliable package maintainer for Fedora/RHEL, has an NTFS tools package. It's as easy as adding his repo to your yum.conf and installing it. If you really need to resize your partitions, you can use RIP (recovery is possible) -- a nice little text based recovery CD with all the latest drivers and utilities. Though I'm a die hard Fedora supporter, I'm not willing to engage in attacks on other distributions. The beauty of open source is choice. You've made yours, I've made mine.. if we're both happy, awesome. :)

21. Penguin Man

Oh, I agree entirely, I don't like arguing with BSD folks either since we're basically fighting the same fight. However, I don't think that I could use a distro that's so worried about patents that it limits its functionality instead of taking a small risk.

22. xheliox

RedHat is not Novell. They don't have the war chest that Novell has. If M$ was to ever challenge them legally, it could be the end of RedHat. I really can't blame them. Software patents are the most disgusting consequences of technology, but they exist -- like it or not. I really don't mind having to download one or two packages for the sake of keeping my favorite Linux vendor out of court. :)

Furthermore, as you know.. SUSE is/was a European based distribution. Before Novell purchased them, there were many legal questions as to whether or not M$ could ever enforce such patents across the pond. Novell has been very careful to maintain the shell SUSE organization in Germany for just this reason. You can't blame RedHat for their geography.

23. karma

I ended up putting Fedora on a spare hard drive I had. But now that I know that Suse will automatically make partitions, I will try that on the hard drive with Windows on it. There is nothing on the computer that is valuable. It is just my browsing/messing around machine. The worst that would happen would be I would have to reinstall Windows again.

24. Penguin Man

Yep, valid points.